• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tips on booking Hilton Vilamoura during high season

ngl1020

Reaction score
We have checked for the past few years (minus this one) to try to get this property but, of course, we want to go in summer. Any non-owners ever have luck getting a unit in July? Just wondering if it is really possible!! Thanks in advance.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There must be very few rooms. There never seems to be availability whenever I checked.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just a heads up… There are only 69 units at HGVC Vilamoura.

In 2020 (pre-Covid) the Portugal location was reported to be very difficult to book via HGVC (see 2020 posts in this old thread)

NOTE: Hilton.com has rentals through April 2022 but their reservation calendar is displaying sold out for May & June 2022 dates.

Posted the above last month in another thread. See link to old thread.

NOTE: Hilton.com now has summer rentals available too - https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/faohihi-hilton-vilamoura-as-cascatas-golf-resort-and-spa/rooms/ (select SUITES to view one & two bedrooms)

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few additional notes since I posted in the above thread about 18 months ago:

Yes, there are (relatively) few HGVC units here. This is actual a multi-use complex with about half the complex sold as full ownership apartments (not part of HGVC or officially part of the "hotel" but they get access to all facilities and there is a rental program they can participate in) and the other half of the complex split between hotel and timeshare units. As such, the number of dedicated HGVC units is relatively low. Combine that with the fact most owners are Brits that actually use their weeks (and trade only on the off occasion they head to the States or perhaps Scotland) and the result is there is not a whole lot of opportunity to trade in.

After watching availability regularly for the past 18 months, I also believe they don't manage inventory in the same way as other HGVC resorts. I noticed that large blocks of rooms would randomly open up, with seemingly no connection to x days or weeks before check-in. I would check one day and there would be virtually zero inventory available for trade for a whole year and then the next day several months in a row would show up available. I could never detect any rhyme or reason to the timing. I do notice that currently you could book first three nights in a 2-bedroom exactly 8 months from now and start walking a reservation.

All of that said, we were able to trade in here twice during COVID (during periods when Portugal was open and operating somewhat normally). We really enjoyed our stays. The pools were nice, staff very friendly and the resort even when closer to capacity didn't feel too crowded. The second stay, which was during more traditional holiday periods, did have many more kids than the first, but it was still very pleasant. The units are a bit smaller than typical US HGVC units, but are well put together and hall all the basic necessities covered. We would not hesitate to go back, however, given the difficulty in getting a reservation it's not very practical for planning a big trip from the US. Being Amsterdam based, it's a bit easier for us to take advantage of "random" availability.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
A few additional notes since I posted in the above thread about 18 months ago:

Yes, there are (relatively) few HGVC units here. This is actual a multi-use complex with about half the complex sold as full ownership apartments (not part of HGVC or officially part of the "hotel" but they get access to all facilities and there is a rental program they can participate in) and the other half of the complex split between hotel and timeshare units. As such, the number of dedicated HGVC units is relatively low. Combine that with the fact most owners are Brits that actually use their weeks (and trade only on the off occasion they head to the States or perhaps Scotland) and the result is there is not a whole lot of opportunity to trade in.

After watching availability regularly for the past 18 months, I also believe they don't manage inventory in the same way as other HGVC resorts. I noticed that large blocks of rooms would randomly open up, with seemingly no connection to x days or weeks before check-in. I would check one day and there would be virtually zero inventory available for trade for a whole year and then the next day several months in a row would show up available. I could never detect any rhyme or reason to the timing. I do notice that currently you could book first three nights in a 2-bedroom exactly 8 months from now and start walking a reservation.

All of that said, we were able to trade in here twice during COVID (during periods when Portugal was open and operating somewhat normally). We really enjoyed our stays. The pools were nice, staff very friendly and the resort even when closer to capacity didn't feel too crowded. The second stay, which was during more traditional holiday periods, did have many more kids than the first, but it was still very pleasant. The units are a bit smaller than typical US HGVC units, but are well put together and hall all the basic necessities covered. We would not hesitate to go back, however, given the difficulty in getting a reservation it's not very practical for planning a big trip from the US. Being Amsterdam based, it's a bit easier for us to take advantage of "random" availability.
Thanks for sharing :)

@JBLKY see latest Portugal booking tips

JBLKY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing! Ultimately we will not be going to Portugal next year. I was walking 2 units and then when I went to roll the reservation forward, the day was blocked in front of me. I called and I was told that an owner must be starting that day. So I lost that reservation. I switched to Charleston and was walking that reservation and the same thing happened. I got lucky and a unit there opened a few days later so I was able to book the room. It makes me wonder if, in the locations that aren’t full HGVC ownership, the other owner/hotel can block some dates that mess up our ability to walk a reservation.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add (should anyone else dig up this thread) we also spoke to one of the sales reps on one of our trips. I just came across the materials we got from them and noticed that most of August is designated as "event" weeks which correspond with the peak holiday season in Portugal. I would assume that means they are very rarely released by owners and likely very hard to get as an internal HGVC exchange.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m an owner at Vilamoura and pre COVID we normally went each year. Last year and this we obviously didn’t.

when the U.S opens back up for visitors from Europe we most likely go there and use our points, however to be on the save side I booked my home resort for a July trip ‘22

it has always been difficult to get a reservation there. If I want to extend my current reservation I either have to try and walk or hope something opens up close to check in.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All, Thinking of planning a family vacation for 20+ of us at Vilamoura. How is availability for mid-June?

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All, Thinking of planning a family vacation for 20+ of us at Vilamoura. How is availability for mid-June?
I think you should be able to get 1x 2br maybe 2 if you are very lucky but since you are that many people and need 3-4 rooms i honestly think it’s not gonna happen.

problem is that a lot of people look for June/July dates and therefore they walk them. Additionally owners also book the same dates so there aren’t a lot of vacant rooms.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you should be able to get 1x 2br maybe 2 if you are very lucky but since you are that many people and need 3-4 rooms i honestly think it’s not gonna happen.

problem is that a lot of people look for June/July dates and therefore they walk them. Additionally owners also book the same dates so there aren’t a lot of vacant rooms.

Thanks for the feedback. I need more like 4-5 2BR units.