• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tipping and counter service

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 2-3 times per week we get take out. I order online and pay online before I get there. These are places like CPK, Koa Pancake House, Morton’s Steak House and others. When I arrive, all I want to do is grab the bag of food and go. But they insist that I sign the credit card receipt and even after I explain that I already paid, they are pushing the receipt toward me to sign where the tip needs to be filled with the total amount. Of course I feel cheap if I don’t leave them a tip. But, how much is right amount. They didn’t answer the phone or take the order, but sure are pushing for a tip. What do you do.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
First off, I bring my own pen as I'm not sure how they are cleaning the pens they provide. Normally, I would tip around 10% but during the pandemic, I have been tipping 15+%. Call me cheap, but I feel that is more than fair since they are not providing the normal service that they would if I was eating in the restaurant where I would normally tip 20%.

Kurt

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Actually for Take Away we have been over tipping. We give $20 for every Order because we know times are tight for the restaurant workers. So the Bill might be $60 we tip $20 in cash. Our smallest Bill has been $19 -and we still left a $20 cash tip. One restaurant when we called in said they were adding 10% to every Bill. I said I suggest you leave that off because you will be a lot happier with the extra I leave. They did and were.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Actually for Take Away we have been over tipping. We give $20 for every Order because we know times are tight for the restaurant workers. So the Bill might be $60 we tip $20 in cash. Our smallest Bill has been $19 -and we still left a $20 cash tip. One restaurant when we called in said they were adding 10% to every Bill. I said I suggest you leave that off because you will be a lot happier with the extra I leave. They did and were.
I agree on over tipping. Not only are times tight for them, they're risking their health by working where they'll be exposed to many people. Take out may not be an essential service, but to us, it's certainly a valuable one.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I agree on over tipping. Not only are times tight for them, they're risking their health by working where they'll be exposed to many people. Take out may not be an essential service, but to us, it's certainly a valuable one.
I agree with Art. We are tipping at least as much, and sometimes more, than we would sitting in the restaurant. Generally, 20-25%. We appreciate that some of our favorite restaurants are staying open and we want to help them and their employees as much as possible.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been overtipping during the pademic as well. We're purposefully getting take out about once or twice a week, from local (usually ethnic) restaurants. On Monday, we ordered over the phone, and picked up curbside (so the worker did bring it out to our car.) I tipped 20%. I figure it is one small thing I can do to help support local workers, local businesses, in my local economy. It might have made our "cheap" Chinese takeout a little less "cheap," but, again, it's something I personally can do to help.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I am curious if those who have responded in this thread thus far have noticed any significant price increases at their local favorite dining establishments.....

About 2-3 times per week we get take out. I order online and pay online before I get there. These are places like CPK, Koa Pancake House, Morton’s Steak House and others. When I arrive, all I want to do is grab the bag of food and go. But they insist that I sign the credit card receipt and even after I explain that I already paid, they are pushing the receipt toward me to sign where the tip needs to be filled with the total amount. Of course I feel cheap if I don’t leave them a tip. But, how much is right amount. They didn’t answer the phone or take the order, but sure are pushing for a tip. What do you do.

In my opinion, if you feel like they are pushing for a tip then they have crossed a line. But how does one fairly address this?
First, I would seek out a conversation with the establishment management. They might not be aware of this practice OR it also might be the case the restaurant is not aware that you have no opportunity to tip as part of your online purchase OR the restaurant does not receive any tip you leave with the online purchase vendor (such as Door Dash or GrubHub).

Tom, you mention you purchase online - do you purchase directly from the restaurant web site? Is tipping through that portal even possible?

Safety is the first goal and it is not required to sign a receipt for a credit card transaction. Perhaps your favorite restaurants are not aware of this, but more likely they may be trying to provide the same avenue for tipping they always have. It might also be the case that online purchase vendors take a portion of (if not all of) any tip you leave there.

I have to believe the management of any dining establishment would welcome any feedback on how to make the purchase experience smoother and more customer friendly during a time when the kinks are still being worked out of new processes and procedures.

geekette

Reaction score
I certainly don't like how they go about it.
I've been overtipping during the pademic as well. We're purposefully getting take out about once or twice a week, from local (usually ethnic) restaurants. On Monday, we ordered over the phone, and picked up curbside (so the worker did bring it out to our car.) I tipped 20%. I figure it is one small thing I can do to help support local workers, local businesses, in my local economy. It might have made our "cheap" Chinese takeout a little less "cheap," but, again, it's something I personally can do to help.
Yes, I hit the indies, not chains. I expect chains to take care of their employees, and feel that the little guys need help to do that AND survive. If I were a restaurant owner, I would certainly be sending some food home with my employees, too, to make sure that they and their families were fed.

Asking for a tip is Too Far, I'd call mgmt about that, and the signature push is very close to that. Put out a tip jar, fine with me. Accept cash tip when I pick up, great. Design your online checkout to accept tips, Super.

I am appalled by reports from weeks ago that some customers of a delivery service were promising tips that they did not make good on. I don't recall the name of the thing, but the shopper/deliverer could select the highest profit route in their area, so customers competed with premiums (tips). Ok, sounds reasonable! Then the driver arrives and does not get what they were promised, but customer did? To me, that's low down dirty. Don't play with people that way. Not now, not ever. It is especially despicable in the situation the US is in right now.
It has been a while since I heard anything about it, so I'd like to think that such vulgar practices are vanquished by peer scorn.

geekette

Reaction score
....I am curious if those who have responded in this thread thus far have noticed any significant price increases at their local favorite dining establishments.....

Yes. In many cases, it is posted, they are upfront about "we had to"... which, for me, causes more over tip. I reward honesty, and it breeds more loyalty. Note that I am not "mad" or anything if it isn't posted. It's like always, either this is worth that price to me, right here, right now, or it's not. In my previously normal life, I would pay for convenience when I wanted it. That hasn't changed, but my view on "convenience" has.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Theses days, for the precautions and risks they take, I tip a minimum of 15% everywhere.
But I tip higher (20-25%) at less expensive places where they work just as hard.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@geekette - I never like a price increase (who really does) but when an establishment is as up front about it as they can be, it can become understandable. What seems to be the case around here is the local establishments are being very up front about their increases while the chains act like its just another price increase.

These are not the best of times to be in the restaurant business if you value stability......

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I add about 15% for take out. Times are hard for service workers.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prices should be coming down as all that seating area is dead space and should not be counted into their costs. Sure drink and deserts must be down as well as impluse purchases which are high profit centers. But the cost to serve the food has gone down a lot. Should be more inline with food truck prices now.

Hopefully when we go back to table service tipping is not increased to 25-30% as take out is now getting 15-20.

Is everyone tipping fast food drive thru windows now?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I am curious if those who have responded in this thread thus far have noticed any significant price increases at their local favorite dining establishments.....
Definitely, yes. I would say that most restaurant's prices have increased a minimum of 10%, at least the ones we have encountered. At one restaurant, they specifically quoted a surcharge for certain dishes (mostly beef / steak) due to the spike in their costs. I liked that approach, which indicated to me it was not intended a permanent price increase.

Kurt

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We are tipping 20% on take-out. We are only ordering from locally owned restaurants and they've been hit hard. If I order online, and it allows me, I add the tip. If I order by phone, I tell them to add 20% for a tip. If I must order online and there is no place for a tip, when I get there I tell them to add 20% and that I prefer not to sign. Some insist but at that point it's not to get the tip, it's just their requirement.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have been tipping 30% for take out. Usually we pay before we pick up and each time we've told them to add 30% they are very appreciative.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We always tip 15-20% but we are always able to do it when we place the order. When we arrive we call and tell them where we are parked. We open the back of the SUV and the place the order there. We never touch anything.

geekette

Reaction score
????? Huh. Stiff the landlord and you get locked out. You STILL have to PAY for that DEAD space.
Obviously, landlord has no use for every other table in the dining room. Wouldn't it be a sweet deal if someone only had to pay for space every other 12 foot square? I'd like the name of the landlord making those leases!

Firing up the grills, ovens, keeping fridge and freezer coolers going, lights, these are sunk costs that must be paid, one customer or one hundred. I have no insight into gas and elec bills, but, certainly much higher than mine here.

Then there are enhanced cleaning processes and whatever tools or supplies in that. The more food sales, the less that each ticket shaves off a share of the overhead, 50 tables, or 25. I understand the need for price increases, even if their wholesale food costs were same as before (per serving). They don't need to post that things are tough and that they have to raise prices, it's clear.

I don't generally see any special rail card on a grocery store shelf when a price went up. It's not announced. Sale prices may or may not have something special on the card, my eyes are well-trained to spot the CLOSEOUT red and black cards at Kroger.... but Higher Prices over here? nope. never. Not at MacDonald's, either. Pizza joint? no, but they have sometimes put out a notice if, for example, tomatoes are very expensive right now from drought or flood or whatever.... sometimes a surcharge, sometimes "expect less sauce", upcharge for extra. most reputable food places will tell you if they are not using spinach currently due to e coli somewhere... but not if they are suddenly importing pricey exotic whatever... they'll just slap that on a pie, give it a name, and a premium price.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We call in our Order and pay when we pick it up. The TIP is always a Twenty Dollar Bill. The Restaurant is still paying rent on the unused Dining Room Space, etc or still has the monthly mortgage. I expect to see prices going up because on 1 July the minimum wage went up in Oregon.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
????? Huh. Stiff the landlord and you get locked out. You STILL have to PAY for that DEAD space.

Not stiff the landlord but work to get the rent down. But that is not my point. The rent is based on the premise as a whole but with only take out the kitchen and parking lot is what matters. If places are not careful they will go under for not staying competitive. Just breaking even or losing less staying opened then staying closed should be considered pretty good.

geekette

Reaction score
Not stiff the landlord but work to get the rent down. But that is not my point. The rent is based on the premise as a whole but with only take out the kitchen and parking lot is what matters. If places are not careful they will go under for not staying competitive. Just breaking even or losing less staying opened then staying closed should be considered pretty good.
right, because landlords are the only ones that don't need money... the bolded part is just confusing. The rent is based on the entire operation. No landlord is going to re-negotiate the dining room out. There may be some landlords that are in good enough position to make some late payment arrangements, but this is not an expectation anyone should have.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but many restaurants are gone and not coming back. What kind of "careful" are you expecting from a slim-margin business like this??

Reactions: DrQ

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
right, because landlords are the only ones that don't need money... the bolded part is just confusing. The rent is based on the entire operation. No landlord is going to re-negotiate the dining room out. There may be some landlords that are in good enough position to make some late payment arrangements, but this is not an expectation anyone should have.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but many restaurants are gone and not coming back. What kind of "careful" are you expecting from a slim-margin business like this??
Very few new places will be opening now or in the future. A landlord should do what they can to keep a restaurant open and paying rent even if it is less then before. The owner has to realized the rent they are paying for a dining area/bar etc is a sunk cost when it comes to take out only. You think the 360 restaurant at the CN Tower, Disney restaurants, Niagara Falls Fallsview dining rooms etc are able to sell their meals at the same prices as they did when people could come into to eat and enjoy the ambience. Your local hole in the wall is in the same boat but obviously not nearly as much.