• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares you no longer own

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you no longer own a timeshare, do you go to the trouble to remove it from your RCI or II account? Is there a down side to having them removed other than the time it takes to contact the RCI and/or II and have them deleted from your account?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you no longer own a timeshare, do you go to the trouble to remove it from your RCI or II account? Is there a down side to having them removed other than the time it takes to contact the RCI and/or II and have them deleted from your account?

We no longer belong to RCI or II, but when we did we certainly never bothered to "update" either exchange company when selling off (about 8) intervals.

I can understand adding a new acquisition to one's account, but can think of no purpose or benefit, positive or negative, to notifying them of a deletion. :shrug:

However, I suppose that if someone had only one interval to begin with and then notified either RCI or II of its' sale, they would (quite unnecessarily) be openly revealing and announcing that they are no longer even eligible for exchange company membership at all. This would obviously be an unwise move if the now "timeshare free" individual wanted to still retain their exchange company membership for access to Extra Vacations, Getaways, etc.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I've allowed my expired timeshares to remain in their respective exchange company profiles (one was II-affiliated; one was RCI-affiliated). The only downside that I've experienced is that RCI continues to nag me to "deposit" intervals from the long inoperative timeshare. I simply shrug off their nagging and hope that someday their system will understand that the timeshare ceased operations years ago.

I see no reason to remove the timeshares from the exchange company profiles.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flip a coin. If you (A) delete them, you (possibly) will get less email or snail mail bugging you to deposit something you don't own. If you (B) say nothing, you probably be able to continue to rent (for cash) Last Calls, Extra Vacays, or II Getaways. In the overall scheme of things it makes little difference.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Until we removed our two former Hawaii units from our RCI account, we were getting constant phone calls wanting us to deposit. They really wanted to get their hot little hands on those buggers. The little bit of time it took to get them removed from our RCI account was worth it to us in reduced aggravation.

We still get an infrequent call re our remaining Spicebush unit. RCI doesn't seem to be as anxious to get us to deposit that deep off season January week at Hilton Head. Wonder why... ? :rolleyes:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
So far we haven't requested any of the timeshares we no longer own be removed from our I.I. account and, I.I. has never removed them. For that matter, I.I. still has a DRI corporate account open for us even though we no longer own with DRI. IMHO, that's DRI's responsibility to cancel a corporate account.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Never occurred to us to notify II or RCI. Can't recall the last time we exchanged. I suppose if we were working on an exchange and saw old info we'd tell them at that point.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect for some Tuggers who move lots of weeks, it could get confusing if they didn't notify the exchange companies when they divest.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I was happy to let them know I no longer owned the ones we've given away or sold. The hassles from RCI to deposit was one thing . . . I also thought some resellers might have also been getting my contact info from RCI.

I don't know if they sell member data base listings or not . . . it was just easier to remove them from my account than to worry about it. The calls and emails ended when I did!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've told them numerous times that I no longer own one of my timeshares and they say they'll make a note--but they still come back and ask me if I would like to deposit it. :rolleyes:

Since I have free RCI membership for another 8 years (thanks to a couple of SA purchases years ago), I intend to maintain the membership at least that long for the Last Calls or Xtra Vacays, even if I get rid of my remaining timeshares.