• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares that appreciate in value?

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly, having owned timeshares for only a few years, I would not purchase them. Given the big upfront investment, even for quality resale timeshares, it is not worth it.

I'm with Traveltime: I would not advise buying timeshares for the opportunity of possibly making money or even saving money in the future on vacations. I wish I had stopped with my first (resale) purchase of an EOY lock off unit, because that gave me access to the best benefits at the lowest cost: entry to II for AC's and Getaways, and membership in TUG, with access to rentals, last minute rentals and distressed weeks. (Although I could have joined TUG without buying a TS, I doubt I would have found it. TUG has been the BEST benefit!)

I really like our TS, but am starting to feel like the shuffling with exchanges and hassle with changing reservations is not worth it. It would be so much easier to have an easier cancellation ability. I just went through a stressful and time consuming hassle cancelling our trip to Hawaii. Hours planning/searching for TS to start/end on the right day, and then hours cancelling with II (looking for retrades and on hold to talk to customer service.)

II helped me out, but still it was a hassle. (We decided to cancel because we could go to Hawaii without a quarantine after 10/15, but couldn't go to another island (exc. Oahu) without a quarantine. They did not have this requirement when I booked a week at 3 different islands.)

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
One thing I do not like about timeshares is I feel locked into vacationing with them since I am paying for them every year. I realize now that I prefer to pay cash and stay where I want. Given the high upfront cost of timeshares, even the ones I bought resale, it does not make sense to own unless you hold over 20+ years and you only want to vacation in your timeshares.

tgropp

TUG Member
Reaction score
None appreciate in value when bought from the developer. Most resales do not appreciate either. I would consider a Worldmark membership bought resale a reliable product.

Bill
Purchased Beach Club Villas resale in 2007 for $80/point (75 and 50 point contracts) and sold for $145 Point. Wilderness Lodge which I still have purchased at $74/point and probably could sell at $92/point

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
My fear is that we would never vacation as much or as well if we didn't own timeshares. Planning is half the fun.

One of the biggest risks for me is renting - the hassle of finding the right unit for a price I am comfortable with paying (*see Note), or the risk that the unit is not up to quality or cleanliness. Plus many rentals such as TS private owners and Homeaway demand upfront payment of rent months in advance with significant cancellation penalties which is risky compared to our TS where we can cancel up to 30 days in advance and can reuse the points.

For our HI Westin timeshare we breakeven over renting after 5 uses if we assume the investment value falls to zero (unlikely because the unit has been holding its value), we know we can rent it out for more than MF or sell at about what we bought it for. I like that it is an EOY - easier on the MF and doesn't require us to travel to HI every year. It is a keeper.

Our developer NYC Hilton lost a lot of value, but our Vegas resale has only lost $500 - $1000 but but we get outsized value over renting by arbitraging points into Hawaii and NYC. We stay on Billionaires Row in NYC and get units that have views of Central Park and also have access to NYC penthouse units. If you can even rent those units (rare) they rent for more than $1000 a night. If that goes upside down or we don't wish to travel to those locations, we will sell. Even though there is lost value we've already gotten the value out of the capital investment via arbitrage.

If we eventually disposed would still try to use RCI and II for getaways.

* Note: Why pay $5k to rent the same timeshare we own in HI during peak season but I am willing to pay MF of $2800. Even if our TS goes to zero value (unlikely) we are still ahead over renting if we use the unit over the years.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
And our vacation travel patterns changed. With 3 young kids, we bought 2 East Coast summer beach weeks. As teens, no one wanted to go to the beach for a week anymore! I gave one away and the other I have traded with RCI for over 5 years. not ideal, but making it work.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
And our vacation travel patterns changed. With 3 young kids, we bought 2 East Coast summer beach weeks. As teens, no one wanted to go to the beach for a week anymore! I gave one away and the other I have traded with RCI for over 5 years. not ideal, but making it work.

Sounds exactly like our second home in Tahoe. Used it for years when the children were young and now they don't want to go anymore. (We now rent it out.) As college students they now prefer to use our timeshares in Hawaii or NYC and will spend family time with us vs going to spring break beach parties.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
One thing I do not like about timeshares is I feel locked into vacationing with them since I am paying for them every year. I realize now that I prefer to pay cash and stay where I want. Given the high upfront cost of timeshares, even the ones I bought resale, it does not make sense to own unless you hold over 20+ years and you only want to vacation in your timeshares.

I came to the same conclusion regarding a single destination without exchanging and decided to only have multi-destination type memberships. With the three systems I own I can reserve units at over 150 resorts with many of these resorts within driving distance. Two of the three systems are rtu's that have contracts expiring next year. By 2029 , unless I acquire more contracts, I will only have the Worldmark contracts.

Bill

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I will say I like the space of timeshares and having a kitchen. I also like the consistent quality of the brands I still own. Now, I try to get at least a 1 bedroom unit even if I am renting through a hotel outside of my timeshares.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
the internet, and more suite-style hotels has changed the game IMHO. Years ago, the only option for 2BR at the beach was a rental through a broker or service or staying in a hotel.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
My fear is that we would never vacation as much or as well if we didn't own timeshares. Planning is half the fun.

One of the biggest risks for me is renting - the hassle of finding the right unit for a price I am comfortable with paying (*see Note), or the risk that the unit is not up to quality or cleanliness. Plus many rentals such as TS private owners and Homeaway demand upfront payment of rent months in advance with significant cancellation penalties which is risky compared to our TS where we can cancel up to 30 days in advance and can reuse the points.

For our HI Westin timeshare we breakeven over renting after 5 uses if we assume the investment value falls to zero (unlikely because the unit has been holding its value), we know we can rent it out for more than MF or sell at about what we bought it for. I like that it is an EOY - easier on the MF and doesn't require us to travel to HI every year. It is a keeper.

Our developer NYC Hilton lost a lot of value, but our Vegas resale has only lost $500 - $1000 but but we get outsized value over renting by arbitraging points into Hawaii and NYC. We stay on Billionaires Row in NYC and get units that have views of Central Park and also have access to NYC penthouse units. If you can even rent those units (rare) they rent for more than $1000 a night. If that goes upside down or we don't wish to travel to those locations, we will sell. Even though there is lost value we've already gotten the value out of the capital investment via arbitrage.

If we eventually disposed would still try to use RCI and II for getaways.

* Note: Why pay $5k to rent the same timeshare we own in HI during peak season but I am willing to pay MF of $2800. Even if our TS goes to zero value (unlikely) we are still ahead over renting if we use the unit over the years.
@CalGalTraveler Very well said!