• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares that appreciate in value?

James G

Reaction score
Is there a timeshare that one could buy in the secondary market that could be likely resold 20 years later at a greater value than originally purchased? If you were looking for good trading power and reasonable maintenance fees what would be your pick today? I understand the philosophy of picking a location you like to travel to, and of course the price one sees on the secondary market plays a factor also.

Last edited:

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
There are many stories of Disney Vacation Club being sold for a higher price.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Is there a timeshare that one could buy in the secondary market that could be likely resold 20 years later at a greater value than originally purchased? If you were looking for good trading power and reasonable maintenance fees what would be your pick today? I understand the philosophy of picking a location you like to travel too also, and of course the price one sees on the secondary market plays a factor also.

The only timeshare that I know of that routinely appreciates in value over the 20 year span you mention is Disney Vacation Club. And the economics of DVC mean that it’s not a trader. So: the thing which you seek does not exist.

James G

Reaction score
I had a friend of mine that sold a Marriott Phuket Beach Club back to Marriott for well over what he bought it for in the secondary market. That's what got me thinking, and I think it had great trading power from what I remember.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Timeshares are not investments, and should not be viewed that way IMO. The key is to minimize the downside risk of initial entry, and then keep your MF relatively low compared to rentals.

If you can do this, you’ll get lot’s of enjoyment from ownership and not have to worry as much if you have to give it away in the future.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I have now spent something like $500 to acquire timeshares, all with free closing. My best guess is that in January, my ownerships were 'worth' ~$5000 if I wasn't in a hurry to sell. Don't figure I could get that right now, of course.

Theoretically, that means I'm looking at 1000% return on these. Realistically, I underpaid by probably $2000 - and would have to wait for people to overpay by the same margin. I consider timeshares to be a breakeven venture at best - though I like to think I eke out me value every year than I pay in fees.

All that to say that I wouldn't try to buy with a profit in mind.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Resale oceanfront Hawaii for Westin, Marriott and Hilton wont appreciate but will likely hold value (or only decline slightly.)

Actually, OF units at WKORV took a 40% hit in value during the Great Rescession (it was a great time to buy).

Willl they do the same in 2020-21 due to Covid and the accompanying economy? Anyone's guess, but preliminary indications are "yes" -- the advertised prices for 2bd OF units are down several thousand dollars since last year.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Actually, OF units at WKORV took a 40% hit in value during the Great Rescession (it was a great time to buy).

During the first years of a timeshare devel there is a steady depreciation in value but after a while they seem to hit a floor. Our WKORVN is worth about the same as when we purchased 4 years ago even though there is a current economic downturn. The resale floor is what I am referring to.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Is there a timeshare that one could buy in the secondary market that could be likely resold 20 years later at a greater value than originally purchased? If you were looking for good trading power and reasonable maintenance fees what would be your pick today? I understand the philosophy of picking a location you like to travel to, and of course the price one sees on the secondary market plays a factor also.
If you get a great deal on resale you may be able to make a modest profit. If you pay developer prices, probably not.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
Yeah, DVC if you’re careful. I bought points at the Grand Californian summer of 2017 for $140 pp and could sell easily today for $210. But that’s very specific to that resort, which isn’t available from the developer now and is rare on the resale market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Developer will lose every time xDisney. But now not sure about Disney with Covid. There might be some deals.

With the resale floor even if you lose 50% it's less than 10k so risk is small. I feel sorry for those that paid retail and lost 10s of thousands. (We paid retail on our first timeshare and it still stings.)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
None appreciate in value when bought from the developer. Most resales do not appreciate either. I would consider a Worldmark membership bought resale a reliable product.

Bill

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I more than doubled my money on the Disney Vacation Club points I sold in 2010. I bought some back and I will sell those new points for double as well.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I bought my quarter share in the Steamboat Grand over 20 years ago. Since then, it has more or less paid for itself in rental vs dues and doubled in price on the current market. I also own a share in timeshare unit in another complex that also has appreciated since I bought it some ten years ago. I use that one for six weeks in Steamboat ski season

These are atypical of a weekly timeshare and I glad of that fact;).

Cheers

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
agree with others made $ on DVC 2X, and will lose $ on 4th of July HHI week when I sell (and I bought resale). HHI was a great place that we enjoyed for many years. I should not be worth so little, but it is on resale, just like most others, even many Hiltons and Marriott's. It's all supply/demand. And, there's an easy, robust DVC resale market. All other timeshare markets are too fractured-no easy, cohesive, widely advertised resale market like DVC.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
None appreciate in value when bought from the developer. Most resales do not appreciate either. I would consider a Worldmark membership bought resale a reliable product.

Bill
I would not say none. I bought Villas at Grand California and Villas at Grand Floridian direct from developer. Could easily sell for more than what I purchased it for. My only other timeshare that appreciated in value was resale quartershares at Marriott Grand Residence in Tahoe. Resale prices are about double what I paid for mine.

As others have said, do not count on buying a TS to be resold for a profit. The value in TS are the vacations and memories you will make.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's more likely that a legacy timeshare not affiliated with a big chain and many that are with big chains that you buy today would likely be bankrupt well before 20 years from now. Someone made a comment that they will bottom out after a while and a lot of times they bottom out a $1.00 and most of those you don't want to own.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Frankly, having owned timeshares for only a few years, I would not purchase them. Given the big upfront investment, even for quality resale timeshares, it is not worth it. I sold 9 of my timeshares this year and I was thrilled to get rid of them. 7 were DVC and net-net, I lost money on DVC. Even buying resale. Plus, I had to cancel a DVC reservation and could not rent out the points because they then had a 60 day usage window so I lost $3500 in MFs. Knowing what I know now, I would not make any upfront investment in order to attempt to save money in the future. I still have some timeshares left but I would lose way too much if I sold those and I do still enjoy Marriott Vacation Club overall.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Timeshares purchased from the developer are one of the few things that lose value more quickly than new cars.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best return on your investment would be to buy stock in the timeshare companies. Use the dividend to rent trips.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares purchased from the developer are one of the few things that lose value more quickly than new cars.
Timeshare values bought from a developer drop faster then a led zeppelin

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly, having owned timeshares for only a few years, I would not purchase them. Given the big upfront investment, even for quality resale timeshares, it is not worth it. I sold 9 of my timeshares this year and I was thrilled to get rid of them. 7 were DVC and net-net, I lost money on DVC. Even buying resale. Plus, I had to cancel a DVC reservation and could not rent out the points because they then had a 60 day usage window so I lost $3500 in MFs. Knowing what I know now, I would not make any upfront investment in order to attempt to save money in the future. I still have some timeshares left but I would lose way too much if I sold those and I do still enjoy Marriott Vacation Club overall.
Sounds like renting maybe a better fit for your travel needs. Renting gives you more flexibility on use of different resorts. Renting also is free of any long term commitments and without the burden of paying maintenance fees.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Note OP mentions timeshares that would appreciate if you bought and held the unit for 20 years. It seems to me that you bought and sold most of your timeshares over a very short span of time- 2 years or less? Unless you are an aggressive bargain hunter, you’re not hugely likely to see much appreciation over such ultrashort time frames.

Just to be clear to the OP, who was looking to buy and hold for a long span of time.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's more likely that a legacy timeshare not affiliated with a big chain and many that are with big chains that you buy today would likely be bankrupt well before 20 years from now. Someone made a comment that they will bottom out after a while and a lot of times they bottom out a $1.00 and most of those you don't want to own.
Like this one that I mentioned last month.