• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares in San Francisco?

dragonlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years back there were several timeshares (Worldmark and Wyndam) within San Francisco proper.
But I have been digging through RCI's web site lately looking and I do not see any current timeshares available?

Are they gone or am I not looking in the right places.

Thanks
Robyn (in Socal)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Wyndham has Canterbury but there aren't many RCI deposits and when there are they are usually off season and still disappear quickly. If you are interested in a 1 br or studio in sometime other than the summer you might have luck with an ongoing search. Shell has some SF but deposits from points owners go to II and are mostly sleeps 2 studios. I think a deeded week owner in SF who never converted to points can still deposit in RCI but that doesn't happen often. If you are looking for a sleeps 2 unit you will probably have more luck than a sleeps 4 unit through RCI or II or SFX.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Years back there were several timeshares (Worldmark and Wyndam) within San Francisco proper.
But I have been digging through RCI's web site lately looking and I do not see any current timeshares available?

Thanks
Robyn (in Socal)

I consider myself an expert on this topic, having stayed at the following locations:
And at the moment writing from unit at Inn at the Opera.

Nob Hill Inn
Donatello
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
Wyndham Canterbury

Never placed a request, just jumped on it when I saw it, since I love the City by the Bay.

I am now a Wyndham owner so can book Canterbury by the night. But the others were full week exchanges through II or RCI.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If you have a deposit you can give to SFX, they do get resorts that are harder to get through RCI. I have a lot of deposits with SFX and pretty much decided I need to stay in San Francisco a few weeks this year, just to use my deposits; otherwise, those deposits will expire without being used.

lifesabeach101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
River Point, Napa, CA 2 bedroom.

Ocean Landings sleep 2 (2 weeks).

Thanks
Robyn (in Socal)
I see lots of inventory using my lowly little Ocean Landings sleep 2 via Interval International.

Several years ago it was almost imposible to pick up SF on an exchange with RCI or II.

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Robyn (in Socal)
I have a two bedroom on hold at Nob Hill Inn for August that I plan to release. We are going in a couple of weeks and decided we don't need to go again in August. Last August we stay at Cantebury.

gaile

TUG Member
Reaction score
b2bailey, I will be staying in Santa Cruz for several days in August then going to Wyndham Canterbury for several days. I will have my 15 yr old granddaughter with me. I will have a car in Santa Cruz but hope to take the train to San Francisco for the stay at the Canterbury. However, I cannot quite figure out how to get there, where to drop off the car, where to get the train, etc, or if it is even worth it to take the train. Do you have any tips for me? Would it be better to just fly to SFO or drive to San Francisco and drop the car off there?
We will be staying in a one bedroom at the Canterbury. Any tips or recommendations? I am so excited, looking forward to the trip. Any ideas for both places would be appreciated.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
b2bailey, I will be staying in Santa Cruz for several days in August then going to Wyndham Canterbury for several days. I will have my 15 yr old granddaughter with me. I will have a car in Santa Cruz but hope to take the train to San Francisco for the stay at the Canterbury. However, I cannot quite figure out how to get there, where to drop off the car, where to get the train, etc, or if it is even worth it to take the train. Do you have any tips for me? Would it be better to just fly to SFO or drive to San Francisco and drop the car off there?
We will be staying in a one bedroom at the Canterbury. Any tips or recommendations? I am so excited, looking forward to the trip. Any ideas for both places would be appreciated.

The easiest way from Santa Cruz into SF is to drive (but not at rush hour), drop off the car at one of the downtown rental car facilities, and then walk, taxi, or Lyft to the Canterbury. It is a 60-80 minute drive during normal traffic hours.

If you drop off the car at SFO rather than in SF proper for whatever reason, you could take BART from the airport into SF. The walk to the Carterbury would be less than a mile, but this approach would require extra shuttles (from the car rental drop-off back to the airport to get BART). I wouldn't recommend this except for serious savings on the car rental cost (the two BART tickets will cost you $17.90).

There are no trains from SC to SF. One could drive as far as San Jose and pick up the train there, but that would be needlessly complicated.

Do not fly from SC to SF (can one even do that? perhaps from Monterey, but why?).

Last edited:

gaile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I appreciate it. I should have been more clear in communicating what I was asking. We are flying into San Jose because my granddaughter is enamored with anything involving NASA and we are going to visit the NASA facility there. Then Santa Cruz. Then San Francisco. I was going to get the car at the San Jose airport and return it off there. Then pick up the train in San Jose. However I have absolutely no idea where the train is in relation to the airport and am wondering if it is worth it to take the train or instead just drive on to San Francisco. I am somewhat intimidated by the idea of driving in San Francisco, I have done it before but it was years ago.
Why? Because my 15 year old granddaughter asked me if I would take her to the NASA facility over the summer and then to San Francisco and being the Grandmother that I am, I said yes! Santa Cruz is really for me

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
San Jose's airport is close to downtown San Jose (where the train to SF starts), so a taxi or Lyft won't be too expensive.

But I would still drive into SF. It is about 45 miles from San Jose to SF. Going from the car return at the SJ airport and waiting for the train will take time. The train will take > an hour and is not free (I don't know the fare). The train station in SF is a long mile from the Canterbury -- too far to walk dragging suitcases.

In contrast, most of the downtown car rental places in SF will be within a few blocks of the Canterbury. Learn your driving directions before you start (the freeways and exits are confusing and every one way street goes the wrong way). And if you do this on a weekday, don't leave Santa Cruz until after 9:00am and don't arrive in SF between 3:30 and 7:00pm.

Mary W

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Canterbury has valet parking with in and out privileges. The price, with taxes, is just under $40/day. You may decide that, for the convenience, it's worth it to just drive there.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A variety of opinions, I don't want to confuse you with mine -- until I know which airport you will fly home from -- San Jose or SFO?

Also, I am with you. If granddaughter wants to travel with you, I say GO!