• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 79... HGVMax Owner Update

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Can't you reuse the wristbands at different resorts you visit? I know that is how the Marriott Vacation Club bands work.
Maybe, your room number is embedded, as well, as credit card info for purchases so it would be the same as taking a key card to another resort to see if they can reprogram it. I suspect they would not want to but maybe.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe, your room number is embedded, as well, as credit card info for purchases so it would be the same as taking a key card to another resort to see if they can reprogram it. I suspect they would not want to but maybe.
Is it really embedded though? I would think the wristband just has an RFID chip in it the same way that a physical key card does. You tap and it just charges to your room? Then your room charges are paid by credit card at checkout. The Marriott bands work the same way as a key card, there is nothing embedded in the band itself other than an RFID chip which can be associated to a different folio later at the same or different property.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it really embedded though? I would think the wristband just has an RFID chip in it the same way that a physical key card does. You tap and it just charges to your room? Then your room charges are paid by credit card at checkout. The Marriott bands work the same way as a key card, there is nothing embedded in the band itself other than an RFID chip which can be associated to a different folio later at the same or different property.
Yes, that is correct. Bad language on my part...I was just using the word "embedded" to mean programmed. They work the same by tapping the central part of the wristband to the door lock, like the non-sliding/tap key cards work. Same for paying for things at the restaurant/bar...if they have that system. I will say for the ones that we have used, you have to literally put the central part of the wristband right over the door lock for it to work versus close to it.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At $25k per resale interest, I am sure my wife would prefer a Tiffany rose gold bracelet with 2.05 carats of embedded diamonds that she can wear every day of the year rather than a plastic one she has to return when she checks out of her timeshare.

LOL....maybe I will encourage my wife to keep her wristband next time and wear it around all the time...:)

There are other perks but, for me personally, not worth $25k. I did it via resale for much less...not Max but Elite Premier.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
dioxide45's post is correct.
A resale buyer of HVC (DRI) only gets access to HVC (DRI).
A resale buyer of HGVC only gets access to HGVC - not to Max or HVC.
The only way to get Max is to buy new or trade up (see Clifbells's post).

But the initial question should be: Is it worth the extra $$?
For Clifbell and others who want it all-in-one basket - Yes.
For me and others content to remain legacy owners - No.
Whatever floats your boat.
I agree completely. What I did was right for me. Not right for everyone. I enjoy the free upgrades (Just got a free upgrade in Maui) and the new perks in being all in. My purpose is only share what I understand to help others do what is best for them. Just like this post states what is best for Talent312!!! Couldn't have said it better.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can't you reuse the wristbands at different resorts you visit? I know that is how the Marriott Vacation Club bands work.
Yes, you can reuse them... Imagine how many I would have if I didn't with all the Hilton stays I do. Perhaps I can start a resale business for used wristbands :cool: ?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, you can reuse them... Imagine how many I would have if I didn't with all the Hilton stays I do. Perhaps I can start a resale business for used wristbands :cool: ?
So, when you check in a new resort, do you hand it to them and they program it? We just hand ours in back in.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I actually like the wristbands, in lieu, of a key card but you also turn them back in and I assume they are reused like key cards. Or, at least, we have turned ours back in each time.
You definitely don’t have to give the wristbands back. I have entire Ziploc bags full of them. If you’re worried about waste, you can machine wash them and bring them with you for each subsequent visit and front desk can re-key them for re-use.

Sean

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You definitely don’t have to give the wristbands back. I have entire Ziploc bags full of them. If you’re worried about waste, you can machine wash them and bring them with you for each subsequent visit and front desk can re-key them for re-use.

Sean
Do you think that the ones that are turned back in are reused? We don't really have a need for them so have given them back but if they are not reused, then maybe it would be better to keep them and personally reuse them. Would need to wash them though because they can get a little stinky. I basically put them on and leave it on for the week...removing for shower and bed but they go in the ocean and pool.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
Do you think that the ones that are turned back in are reused? We don't really have a need for them so have given them back but if they are not reused, then maybe it would be better to keep them and personally reuse them. Would need to wash them though because they can get a little stinky. I basically put them on and leave it on for the week...removing for shower and bed but they go in the ocean and pool.
Yes the wristbands at the check-in are most assuredly reused. They probably go through some sanitation process. It’s very easy for them to rekey the RFID. I would do it more often but keep forgetting to bring my old wristbands with me. Hence the huge collection.

Sean

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
These seem like they are cloth? The Marriott ones are solid rubber. So no need to really wash them unless they show visible dirt.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These seem like they are cloth? The Marriott ones are solid rubber. So no need to really wash them unless they show visible dirt.
Yes, these are a stretchy fabric versus rubber

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes the wristbands at the check-in are most assuredly reused. They probably go through some sanitation process. It’s very easy for them to rekey the RFID. I would do it more often but keep forgetting to bring my old wristbands with me. Hence the huge collection.

Sean
I don't believe that is the case for HGVC wristbands (at least not at Kings' land). When we tried to return them on check-out they told us to keep them and use them for our next stay "otherwise they will just get thrown away". They are also certainly reprogrammable as we re-used ours at both Maui and Tuscany Village in Orlando.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I agree completely. What I did was right for me. Not right for everyone. I enjoy the free upgrades (Just got a free upgrade in Maui) and the new perks in being all in. My purpose is only share what I understand to help others do what is best for them. Just like this post states what is best for Talent312!!! Couldn't have said it better.

You do travel differently than we do, but I also know we have very different travel priorities than many other Tuggers.. I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the new program.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you can afford it and it brings you joy, that's all that matters. One could make the same argument for premium RVs and boats. Has anyone priced these lately? They are not cheap and they don't hold their value either.

@Clifbell I appreciate your posts. Please keep sharing your experience as the Max website rolls out to help us understand how this works.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, when you check in a new resort, do you hand it to them and they program it? We just hand ours in back in.
Yes.... That is what I did when I stayed at all the Hiltons on the Big Island.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I don't believe that is the case for HGVC wristbands (at least not at Kings' land). When we tried to return them on check-out they told us to keep them and use them for our next stay "otherwise they will just get thrown away". They are also certainly reprogrammable as we re-used ours at both Maui and Tuscany Village in Orlando.
We were just at Kingsland in May, and when we returned the wrist bands they most certainly didn't say that to us. Maybe it was just during the height of the Pandemic? I know they reuse them, because I have gotten ones that are frayed a bit, so definitely used.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are other perks but, for me personally, not worth $25k. I did it via resale for much less...not Max but Elite Premier.
We have Elite Premier as well, so Max doesn't really add much for us (except access to the DRI properties at six months, which does not interest me as it will just be the leftovers at that point). We already get free upgrades, the same Lyft credit, and an unlimited 30% discount on Open Season, which I will contend is better than the credit amount they give as a perk for the Max Premier+ level, since it has been reported that there are limits on the credit amount that you can use with each OS reservation -- it certainly does not get you your first $700 in reservations for free; you will need to spend a whole lot more to use up that full $700 credit.

Kurt

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have Elite Premier as well, so Max doesn't really add much for us (except access to the DRI properties at six months, which does not interest me as it will just be the leftovers at that point). We already get free upgrades, the same Lyft credit, and an unlimited 30% discount on Open Season, which I will contend is better than the credit amount they give as a perk for the Max Premier+ level, since it has been reported that there are limits on the credit amount that you can use with each OS reservation -- it certainly does not get you your first $700 in reservations for free; you will need to spend a whole lot more to use up that full $700 credit.

Kurt
Now, if what the sales person told us in July at Tuscany is true, then you get both...the EP and Premier + benefits so it would be 30% and $700 credit....I don't buy it but that is what he said.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now, if what the sales person told us in July at Tuscany is true, then you get both...the EP and Premier + benefits so it would be 30% and $700 credit....I don't buy it but that is what he said.
Yeah, I'd want to see that is writing. I highly doubt it is true.

Kurt

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI bracelets are in rubber.
We always give them back but I will ask next week when we will check-out if we can keep them.
I suppose HGV will change all the bracelets during the next few years due to the DRI logo on them.
1660157483228.png

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Now, if what the sales person told us in July at Tuscany is true

If “ifs and buts” were “beers and nuts” HGV Max might be one heck of a party.

We’ll eventually find out.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I'd want to see that is writing. I highly doubt it is true.

Kurt
and I specifically asked him about the 30% and $700 credit and he said yes. I didn't buy it but the problem is that there really isn't much listed for benefits in the reference guide, it is mainly on the website and nothing officially published for Max yet...only unofficial pictures that folks have gather from updates.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI bracelet are in rubber.
We always give them back but I will ask next week when we will check-out if we can keep them.
I suppose HGV will change all the bracelets during the next few years due to the DRI logo on them.
View attachment 62173
here is the HGVC Elite bands. Not my arm, belongs to @Seagila from a prior post on TUG.

1660158203732.png