• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 79... HGVMax Owner Update

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
BTW, one nice thing about the wrist bands when you are at MB, is that they lock the towels in a cabinet so you need your keycard or wristband to open it and get them. With the wristband, you just leave it one, grab towels, and head to the beach...without worrying about losing the keycard or remembering to carry it.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI bracelets are in rubber
So do all DRI guests get them or just those at a certain level? In the case of HGVC, only Elites get the blue wristband and others get a keycard but not everywhere. The District gives Elite a keycard but the elite logo on it.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
So do all DRI guests get them or just those at a certain level? In the case of HGVC, only Elites get the blue wristband and others get a keycard but not everywhere. The District gives Elite a keycard but the elite logo on it.
Not everybody. I receive one only when I visit the concierge at KBC or they force me to check-in at the VIP section.
I never received one at P@P but I got the gold key reserved to Gold & up (I'm just Silver) one time when they force me to check-in at the VIP section.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
here is the HGVC Elite bands. Not my arm, belongs to @Seagila from a prior post on TUG.

View attachment 62175

Actually, that's Kurt's @PigsDad 's image. Not sure if it's his wrist. Elite wristbands apparently function as a key cards and "chick magnets". ;)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Actually, that's Kurt's @PigsDad 's image. Not sure if it's his wrist. Elite wristbands apparently function as a key cards and "chick magnets". ;)
LOL! Yeah, not sure where I got that picture from that I posted (over three years ago!), but that is definitely not my wrist nor that of my wife or daughter. Must have googled it.

But I still believe it is a chick magnet! :ROFLMAO:

Kurt

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LOL! Yeah, not sure where I got that picture from that I posted (over three years ago!), but that is definitely not my wrist nor that of my wife or daughter. Must have googled it.

But I still believe it is a chick magnet! :ROFLMAO:

Kurt
Wait ...I haven't flashed mine around enough to attract any chicks... Or it is me and the magnet isn't strong enough to overcome the other deficits...

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so when I wrote my comment, I hadn't realized that these attracted women. I retract what I said :)

Seriously, though, I hadn't realized that they did anything, I thought that they were just rubber/plastic status bands. if they have RFID and do things (and can potentially be reprogrammed like RFID room keys can (whether or not they are is a different story), I stand corrected.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, so when I wrote my comment, I hadn't realized that these attracted women. I retract what I said :)

Seriously, though, I hadn't realized that they did anything, I thought that they were just rubber/plastic status bands. if they have RFID and do things (and can potentially be reprogrammed like RFID room keys can (whether or not they are is a different story), I stand corrected.

Cheers.
LOL but yes, they replace key cards and function the same. There are rubber owner wrist bands also but those don't do anything. MB gives those out but I haven't gotten those in all places.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL but yes, they replace key cards and function the same. There are rubber owner wrist bands also but those don't do anything. MB gives those out but I haven't gotten those in all places.

I think I may be thinking of those rubber bands. They were white, I believe,and said something like "e e e," IIRC.

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I find it kind of interesting that HGV considers these an Elite benefit, and only provides them to Elite members, while MVC just sells them as an add-on at the front desk. I really like using them on our MVC stays. I have found that with the MVC bands it seems like there are few doors that only the old school card keys work on for some reason.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I may be thinking of those rubber bands. They were white, I believe,and said something like "e e e," IIRC.

Cheers.
The ones at MB are brown and just say HGVC Owner. I guess they do that to differentiate HGVC owners from other guests but they also have the blue elite wristbands also.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've been to resorts where the bands are handed out in lieu of a card.
They were beach+pool places, and it was assumed we'd swim w-'em.
But we were also told the if we lost it, there'd be a fee to replace it.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
These sound somewhat like Disney Magic Bands. Those, however, open doors, hold tickets and can be linked to credit cards. And even resale scum used to get them for free. Now no one does :)

Cheers.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
These sound somewhat like Disney Magic Bands. Those, however, open doors, hold tickets and can be linked to credit cards. And even resale scum used to get them for free. Now no one does :)

Cheers.
I think the technology is the same. Your tickets aren't actually stored in the Magic Band. They are simply an RFID, though they are powered to provide additional features. However, they simply contain a code that when scanned can lookup your profile to make sure you have access to certain things and charge your credit card. Really no different than the bands being talked about here.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the technology is the same. Your tickets aren't actually stored in the Magic Band. They are simply an RFID, though they are powered to provide additional features. However, they simply contain a code that when scanned can lookup your profile to make sure you have access to certain things and charge your credit card. Really no different than the bands being talked about here.

Yup, I know. Just a portal key to a database. The Magic Band underlying database just seems to connect to more stuff based on the environment.

Cheers.

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i missed something but i can't see how Cliff has premier + status. From prior HGV Max pics on the forum and facebook, you need 54000+ HGVC points to be Premier + . < 17000 is a standard member if i'm not mistaken.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i missed something but i can't see how Cliff has premier + status. From prior HGV Max pics on the forum and facebook, you need 54000+ HGVC points to be Premier + . < 17000 is a standard member if i'm not mistaken.
I didn't see the detail of what he owns.
I didn't listen to his video but I quickly watched all the different slides and I interpreted his example as an example to be an HGV-MAX member without paying too much.
You buy a good resale week (11,200 pts) at $7,000 and after you go to a presentation and you buy one of their crap weeks at 5,600 pts for 25k to move your resale week in the HGV-MAX. So, at the end you have 16,800 pts for $32,000 in HGV-MAX (cheaper than buying all those points directly from HVG) but you are just a standard member like you said because you have less than 17,000 pts.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't see the detail of what he owns.
I didn't listen to his video but I quickly watched all the different slides and I interpreted his example as an example to be an HGV-MAX member without paying too much.
You buy a good resale week (11,200 pts) at $7,000 and after you go to a presentation and you buy one of their crapping weeks at 5,600 pts for 25k to move your resale week in the HGV-MAX. So, at the end you have 16,800 pts for $32,000 in HGV-MAX (cheaper than buying all those points directly from HVG) but you are just a standard member like you said because you have less than 17,000 pts.
So, for us, we have over 70k points and it cost us about $34k total with about half that being our original developer purchase in 2003 and we are Elite Premier. When we were at the Tuscany Village in July, they tried to convince us to upgrade one of our annual resale Blvds to EOY for $7k which would get us into Max. Their pitch was that they would match the $7k offer that will be coming out later this year when I showed them the email from Mark Wang. In essence we would have paid $7k to lose an annual to EOY but gained Max and been Premier +. They told us that all our resale would count toward the tiers and they told us that we would get both the Elite Premier benefits and the Premier + benefits.....needless to say, I didn't believe them and passed.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
One could make the same argument for premium RVs and boats. Has anyone priced these lately? They are not cheap and they don't hold their value either.

They don't hold the value but do they go from $25,000 to $10 in an instant? ;)

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
However, they simply contain a code that when scanned can lookup your profile to make sure you have access to certain things and charge your credit card.

Door and gate locks don't work this way. They aren't smart devices - that is, they are not connected to a network, so they do not look up if you have access to a given door by talking to the central API. Rather, these cards/bands have a credential and a date coded into them. E.g. it says room number AND the date range it's valid for (start date and end date).

Only restaurant terminals and alike can look up more information.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Door and gate locks don't work this way. They aren't smart devices - that is, they are not connected to a network, so they do not look up if you have access to a given door by talking to the central API. Rather, these cards/bands have a credential and a date coded into them. E.g. it says room number AND the date range it's valid for (start date and end date).

Likely how it works in some places. It's different at Disney World. There one can walk in with a prior wrist band (Magic Band) and go right to a room door if checked-in online and open the door. Even in the case where we have gone to the front to add a credit card, and the do work with the bands, I've been able to use an old (my original like 9 year old band) to open the door, a band that they haven't accessed in those 9 years. Likely they have their doors in some sort of IoT network.

Cheers.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI bracelets are in rubber.
We always give them back but I will ask next week when we will check-out if we can keep them.
I suppose HGV will change all the bracelets during the next few years due to the DRI logo on them.
View attachment 62173
I asked the question this morning and they said we must give them back