• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 79... HGVMax Owner Update

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
I just completed an owner update and upgraded my resale purchase to HGVMax points. This puts me at the Premier + tier and I am happy with the purchase and the upgrade.

In this video I will provide a summary of the benefits of the HGVMax program. I'll also discuss the highlights of the rollout schedule that the sales team is aware of. There is always a possible delay when software updates are required. But the first phase of the new DRI sites is still expected to launch this month in August. I would have expected an email about a delay at this point so I am cautiously optimistic that the first new sites will be added this month.

Map of all my timeshare reviews

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I just completed an owner update and upgraded my resale purchase to HGVMax points. This puts me at the Premier + tier and I am happy with the purchase and the upgrade.

In this video I will provide a summary of the benefits of the HGVMax program. I'll also discuss the highlights of the rollout schedule that the sales team is aware of. There is always a possible delay when software updates are required. But the first phase of the new DRI sites is still expected to launch this month in August. I would have expected an email about a delay at this point so I am cautiously optimistic that the first new sites will be added this month.

Map of all my timeshare reviews
Weren't you already in Max? If so, then you added an existing or new resale to it? I had heard, during my last sales update in July, that with an EOY upgrade of $7k (which wasn't really an upgrade since it would move a resale from annual to EOY) that all of our resales would come into Max and since we are currently Elite Premier we would come in as Premier +.

I have heard a couple things at sales updates. In April, they told us that any resale purchases that we bought after joining Max would come into Max and then at the July update they told us that all of our resales (8) and our one retail, would come into Max so we would be premier + with that $7k upgrade. This doesn't sound like they align to your experience though.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Weren't you already in Max? If so, then you added an existing or new resale to it? I had heard, during my last sales update in July, that with an EOY upgrade of $7k (which wasn't really an upgrade since it would move a resale from annual to EOY) that all of our resales would come into Max and since we are currently Elite Premier we would come in as Premier +.

I have heard a couple things at sales updates. In April, they told us that any resale purchases that we bought after joining Max would come into Max and then at the July update they told us that all of our resales (8) and our one retail, would come into Max so we would be premier + with that $7k upgrade. This doesn't sound like they align to your experience though.
My resale was purchased recently so yours were grandfathered in. My recent resale is the new rule

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
My resale was purchased recently so yours were grandfathered in. My recent resale is the new rule

Was this a rule that was said by a salesman or in the club handbook? It’s just my opinion, but anything a salesman says is a rule without being written for any member to see, I am very skeptical of. Not saying it’s not true, but I wouldn’t trust what any HGVC salesman says right now.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify but just trying to understand the process. You upgraded one of your resales before to join Max so you just upgraded another one of your resales to be added to Max?

I know one discussion in this group is how it works for folks with multiple resales. If they upgrade one, do all of them come in? There is a $199/contract fee listed in the reference guide and that fee was in my contract when I explored upgrading one of my resales to join Max in April but rescinded. Also, there is a discussion whether only the properties that are brought into Max would be available to HVC Max members versus the weeks owned by HGVClub Legacy members.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was this a rule that was said by a salesman or in the club handbook? It’s just my opinion, but anything a salesman says is a rule without being written for any member to see, I am very skeptical of. Not saying it’s not true, but I wouldn’t trust what any HGVC salesman says right now.
Club handbook

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, I am already in max. This my first owner update since then. I realized I wanted to get to premier + and I got a retail quote of $40k+. For about half of that I ended up with premier + and an additional 5600 points. Since I bought the resale after April, I had to follow the new rules for resale which is $25k per resale contract. My upgrade to premier+ gave me over $1k of perks just between the $700/year credit for last minute and $250/year to take Uber to/from resorts which I do in Hawaii. I have the official internal documents and did my best to describe them. They will hopefully be on the new website when it launches later this month. Unless there is a delay that can always happen with software.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I am already in max. This my first owner update since then. I realized I wanted to get to premier + and I got a retail quote of $40k+. For about half of that I ended up with premier + and an additional 5600 points. Since I bought the resale after April, I had to follow the new rules for resale which is $25k per resale contract. My upgrade to premier+ gave me over $1k of perks just between the $700/year credit for last minute and $250/year to take Uber to/from resorts which I do in Hawaii. I have the official internal documents and did my best to describe them. They will hopefully be on the new website when it launches later this month. Unless there is a delay that can always happen with software.
Thanks for the explanation. I have heard the $25k per resale contract from other folks but I can tell you that when we were in Orlando in July, they tried to get us to upgrade one of our resales for $7k and it would have gotten us in Max plus brought in our other resales to give us Premier + since we are already Elite Premier. That is why I wonder about the $25k requirement.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
@Clifbell are you an official spokesperson for HGV yet? If not, they should get you on retainer.

So you are now double Max? There from both the HGV and HGVC sides?

Last edited:

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Since I bought the resale after April, I had to follow the new rules for resale which is $25k per resale contract.

What exactly does "$25k per resale contract" mean? $25k per resale contract for what? I don't see anything related to $25,000 in the Club rules.

Soumak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, newbie here. Was really looking at HGV at the resale market. Was wondering if i get the timeshare points for hgv through the resale market am i getting hgvmax or is it just limited to hilton and not diamond? Are you able to upgrade to hgvmax from resale or is that only through retail?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hey guys, newbie here. Was really looking at HGV at the resale market. Was wondering if i get the timeshare points for hgv through the resale market am i getting hgvmax or is it just limited to hilton and not diamond? Are you able to upgrade to hgvmax from resale or is that only through retail?
You would only be getting access to HGVC properties. No access to HGV Max or HVC (Hilton Vacation Club) which is the former Diamond resorts. The only way, right now, to get access to HGV Max is through a developer purchase.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
You would only be getting access to HGVC properties. No access to HGV Max or HVC (Hilton Vacation Club) which is the former Diamond resorts. The only way, right now, to get access to HGV Max is through a developer purchase.

Update: Please disregard this post. I am posting too late and get confused on all the HVC/HGVC/HGV branding past a certain hour.

That is not my take. HGV=DRI. HGVC= what has been and remains HGVC.

If someone is "looking at HGV at the resale market" .... they likely would not be getting access to HGVC at all.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That is not my take. HGV=DRI. HGVC= what has been and remains HGVC.

If someone is "looking at HGV at the resale market" .... they likely would not be getting access to HGVC at all.
HGV (HIlton Grand Vacations) is the parent company of everything. When I read the OPs question, I took HGV to really mean HGVC not DRI. DRI is now/will be HVC (Hilton Vacation Club)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
dioxide45's post is correct.
A resale buyer of HVC (DRI) only gets access to HVC (DRI).
A resale buyer of HGVC only gets access to HGVC - not to Max or HVC.
The only way to get Max is to buy new or trade up (see Clifbells's post).

But the initial question should be: Is it worth the extra $$?
For Clifbell and others who want it all-in-one basket - Yes.
For me and others content to remain legacy owners - No.
Whatever floats your boat.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
dioxide45's post is correct.
A resale buyer of HVC (DRI) only gets access to HVC (DRI).
A resale buyer of HGVC only gets access to HGVC - not to Max or HVC.
The only way to get Max is to buy new or trade up (see Clifbells's post).

But the initial question should be: Is it worth the extra $$?
For Clifbell and others who want it all-in-one basket - Yes.
For me and others content to remain legacy owners - No.
Whatever floats your boat.
The HGVC buyer also gets access to bHC.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for sharing this. What is the advantage of buying each resale in? Tier level?
Looking at this from the outside looking in, I don't really see a big advantage if you already own both DRI and HGVC. Sure buying up to some higher level ownership might make sense given some of the *subject to change* perks. However, if you already own DRI and HGVC, then you already have access to Max even if you aren't officially in Max. Even better is that you can book DRI and HGV far beyond the 6 month Max booking window. You just may have booking fees where in Max they seem to be eliminated. That said, you can pay a lot of booking fees with an extra $25K in your pocket.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking at this from the outside looking in, I don't really see a big advantage if you already own both DRI and HGVC. Sure buying up to some higher level ownership might make sense given some of the *subject to change* perks. However, if you already own DRI and HGVC, then you already have access to Max even if you aren't officially in Max. Even better is that you can book DRI and HGV far beyond the 6 month Max booking window. You just may have booking fees where in Max they seem to be eliminated. That said, you can pay a lot of booking fees with an extra $25K in your pocket.
I agree. I think if I really wanted to use DRI, I would buy into DRI and get their booking windows. There are some nice perks at the Premier + level but, like you said, for $25k, it would take awhile to break even.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at this from the outside looking in, I don't really see a big advantage if you already own both DRI and HGVC. Sure buying up to some higher level ownership might make sense given some of the *subject to change* perks.

Well, one gets a resource-wasting wristband with each stay at higher levels, so there is that :)
Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, one gets a resource-wasting wristband with each stay at higher levels, so there is that :)
Cheers.
I actually like the wristbands, in lieu, of a key card but you also turn them back in and I assume they are reused like key cards. Or, at least, we have turned ours back in each time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Can't you reuse the wristbands at different resorts you visit? I know that is how the Marriott Vacation Club bands work.