• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 42… Living 6 months in Timeshares

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
There are several questions one would ask about living in a timeshare for six months. 1) Why would anyone do this? 2) What are the economics? 3) What are the possibilities? 4) How can I do this?

Why would anyone do this? Two weeks a year to vacation and see the world is not enough anymore. The world is interconnected… Staying in timeshares is just a way to physically be a part of that world. If you can blend seeing the world and continuing to work, then you get the best of the world… Why Not? Personal education… Meeting other people from different parts of the world enhances your feeling of being part of the world.

What are the economics? Monthly House costs = $2100. This breaks down to include Mortgage + insurance and taxes+ HOA is $1900. Add in Utilities (Cable, Gas and Electric) = $200 Monthly

Timeshare costs = $2200. This includes Timeshare Maintenance fees @ $1000, Additional timeshare rental fees because of continuous use @ $500, Extra expenses - Gas / Rental Cars/ uber / Airfare @ $700.

Net rental of house (after management fees) - $2000 Rent offsets house costs timeshare costs are a little higher than house costs.

Map of all my timeshare reviews

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are several questions one would ask about living in a timeshare for six months. 1) Why would anyone do this? 2) What are the economics? 3) What are the possibilities? 4) How can I do this?

Why would anyone do this? Two weeks a year to vacation and see the world is not enough anymore. The world is interconnected… Staying in timeshares is just a way to physically be a part of that world. If you can blend seeing the world and continuing to work, then you get the best of the world… Why Not? Personal education… Meeting other people from different parts of the world enhances your feeling of being part of the world.

What are the economics? Monthly House costs = $2100. This breaks down to include Mortgage + insurance and taxes+ HOA is $1900. Add in Utilities (Cable, Gas and Electric) = $200 Monthly

Timeshare costs = $2200. This includes Timeshare Maintenance fees @ $1000, Additional timeshare rental fees because of continuous use @ $500, Extra expenses - Gas / Rental Cars/ uber / Airfare @ $700.

Net rental of house (after management fees) - $2000 Rent offsets house costs timeshare costs are a little higher than house costs.

Map of all my timeshare reviews

Timeshare cost of under $250 a week? I don't think that is real common. . .

rpeacock

Reaction score
We get approximately 3 months of stays with our Timeshare. If we spread our initial cost (bought through the developer) over the 30 years that we will use the Timeshare, our cost (not figuring lost potential of investment income that we spent for our Timeshare) is approximately $1,250/ mo. Many years, we can offset our maintenance fees almost entirely by renting out (and still have 3 months for us). These years, our cost is only the cost of our initial expenditure; spreading out over 30 years of the Timeshare is $400/mo. The cost is about $42/night in a 2BR condo in warm Florida (and not in the cold upper midwest).
YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i think your at home mortgage and utility costs are too low, with garbage, water, cable, gas and light, i am at about $700. All of those are covered in a timeshare.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timeshare cost of under $250 a week? I don't think that is real common. . .
That was why I added an additional $500/month for timeshare costs.... I am using all of my points over a 6 month period. $250 / week is uncommon.

Cliff

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
What timeshares have $250/week maintenance fees? Certainly none of the ones you have listed in your profile.

I budget about $1K/week for mine and I spent about 10 weeks in MVC units last year and likely more this year.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What timeshares have $250/week maintenance fees? Certainly none of the ones you have listed in your profile.

I budget about $1K/week for mine and I spent about 10 weeks in MVC units last year and likely more this year.
I am currently at Worldmark Surfside in Ocean Park, Washington.... 3000 points for the week... Cost is $260.

Hilton in Hawaii is about $600/week

Worldmark in Hawaii is similar.... I typically do not rent a car in hawaii and buy my food at costco, so costs are similar to home... The additional $1200 I have budgeted covers the up to $2200... So the months in hawaii are just above the budget ($600 x 4).... And some of the nights are using hotel points so are free...

Marriott is a lot more expensive.... Except for the Parlor room in Kauai that is 700 points for the week.

I travel frugally with my points so perhaps my budget is not the average. I also underestimated my budget for utilities so it may be a wash.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was why I added an additional $500/month for timeshare costs.... I am using all of my points over a 6 month period. $250 / week is uncommon.

Cliff

It's a matter of how cheap you can be. (No offense, Cliff) Here's the game plan for Hilton.

Buy a low M/F / points in Vegas. $1200- $1400 M/F for 7,000 points. Then book only at places that have a studio in the portfolio (which is usually not much more that a glorified hotel room). For high season, they are around 2200 points, low season 1600 points. 3 weeks @ 2200 = 6600 points, out of 7000 points. Low season is 1600 times 4 weeks = 6400 points. $1200 / 4 = $300 a week. /3 is $400 a week.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
It's a matter of how cheap you can be. (No offense, Cliff) Here's the game plan for Hilton.

Buy a low M/F / points in Vegas. $1200- $1400 M/F for 7,000 points. Then book only at places that have a studio in the portfolio (which is usually not much more that a glorified hotel room). For high season, they are around 2200 points, low season 1600 points. 3 weeks @ 2200 = 6600 points, out of 7000 points. Low season is 1600 times 4 weeks = 6400 points. $1200 / 4 = $300 a week. /3 is $400 a week.
So living in a hotel room for six months? OK...sounds like a blast.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shrug. . . If you spent all your time outside of a room anyways, it might seem acceptable. Most timeshares have various resort features. Not my cup of tea, but different strokes for different folks. .

I will also note that $400 / 7 = $57.15 a night (plus taxes). Where else could you get a room at a resort complex for that price? Bottom of the barrel for the resort, yes, but still. . . .

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will also note that $400 / 7 = $57.15 a night (plus taxes). Where else could you get a room at a resort complex for that price? Bottom of the barrel for the resort, yes, but still. . . .
Since it is just me, I feel comfortable at the bottom of the barrel. The bottom of the Hawaii Barrel is pretty nice .

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it is just me, I feel comfortable at the bottom of the barrel. The bottom of the Hawaii Barrel is pretty nice .
I'm not disagreeing, just describing. Most of the TUGgers here are geared to getting high-end (spacious, full kitchens, ect.) timeshare experiences. But if you compare the "bottom of the barrel" HGVC timeshare experience to a standard <hotel> stay, it really shines, cost-wise. But then again, it is very rare that I would settle for a standard hotel experience. . . Different strokes. . .