• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 111... Dec 2022 HGVMax Owner Update

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
With all the travel I am doing staying in timeshares full time, I get a lot of opportunities for Owner Updates. This is good especially with regards to Hilton and HGVMax as they are going thru a lot of changes. Today's video is from my December 2022 owner update.

The sales team is expecting that the status features will be implemented in the first quarter of 2023. These benefits include the Open Season credit, the Lyft credit, and the searches. There was some debate if the features on the Diamond Resort would become the platform for HGVMax or if the Current Hilton site would be the platform. This was interesting but clearly speculation from the Sales Team.

I continue to enjoy upgrades in late 2022 as an elite member. It seems that the introduction of Diamond Resorts owners in HGVMax has not reduced upgrades although that may happen as more people join HGVMax.

Map of all my timeshare reviews

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Thanks for the video Cliff. I wonder if the availability issue is whether folks have joined Max with those units. So a DRI person would see DRI properties for folks who have not joined Max but a HGVC person would only see the weeks available from folks on the DRI side who have joined Max and vice versa. If this is working like an exchange, then weeks would not be added to the exchange unless they have joined it which would align to what sales folks are saying, that more will come but they will come as more people join.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So a DRI person would see DRI properties for folks who have not joined Max but a HGVC person would only see the weeks available from folks on the DRI side who have joined Max and vice versa. If this is working like an exchange, then weeks would not be added to the exchange unless they have joined it which would align to what sales folks are saying, that more will come but they will come as more people join.
That makes sense to me and hopefully is how it works. To me, it certainly is crazy that all HGVC properties are available to HVC/DRI Max members but only a few HVC properties are available to HGVC members (unless your statement is true).

Reaction score
With all the travel I am doing staying in timeshares full time, I get a lot of opportunities for Owner Updates. This is good especially with regards to Hilton and HGVMax as they are going thru a lot of changes. Today's video is from my December 2022 owner update.

The sales team is expecting that the status features will be implemented in the first quarter of 2023. These benefits include the Open Season credit, the Lyft credit, and the searches. There was some debate if the features on the Diamond Resort would become the platform for HGVMax or if the Current Hilton site would be the platform. This was interesting but clearly speculation from the Sales Team.

I continue to enjoy upgrades in late 2022 as an elite member. It seems that the introduction of Diamond Resorts owners in HGVMax has not reduced upgrades although that may happen as more people join HGVMax.

Map of all my timeshare reviews
Be aware that such optimistic and positive opinions are considered by many here to be heresy? Negative sentiment for the DRI acquisition must not be questioned.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We spoke with a sales manager yesterday during a courtesy discussion (non-incentivized), since we are resale owners. He confirmed that we must spend at least $25k per resale deed to get into HGV Max and that our resale points would not count toward Elite status. The reason is they don’t want to anger retail owners who would have paid much more to attain their Elite status Should they hear of this “back door” option. Besides the fact that we don’t have much interest in former Diamond resorts, this is a non-starter for us. Why would we invest $25k per deed if we can’t get Elite status too, unless we really want 6 month access to Diamond resorts. Marriott and Vistana have allowed resale owners to count their deeds toward status with a qualifying purchase. While we find HGVC very flexible with regard to resale owners in most areas they have drawn a line here.

Best regards.

Mike

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We spoke with a sales manager yesterday during a courtesy discussion (non-incentivized), since we are resale owners. He confirmed that we must spend at least $25k per resale deed to get into HGV Max and that our resale points would not count toward Elite status. The reason is they don’t want to anger retail owners who would have paid much more to attain their Elite status Should they hear of this “back door” option. Besides the fact that we don’t have much interest in former Diamond resorts, this is a non-starter for us. Why would we invest $25k per deed if we can’t get Elite status too, unless we really want 6 month access to Diamond resorts. Marriott and Vistana have allowed resale owners to count their deeds toward status with a qualifying purchase. While we find HGVC very flexible with regard to resale owners in most areas they have drawn a line here.

Best regards.

Mike
First, the $25k per resale is a big lie. We have been offered to upgrade our Blvd for $7k to get in Max and if you follow along on FB and here on TUG, there have been a range of offers from $7k to $50k. Also, there aren't Elite in Max. There are Tiers. With each Tier, there are more benefits. Elite is in HGVC Legacy. Plus, there is the $7k option that is supposed to come out at some point but that would probably be for retail owners, not resale owners.

If you are still there, take that back to them to see what they say. The $7k upgrade fee for us was in Orlando in July.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did a quick scan for upgrade and Max on one of the FB groups and here is what I mean, from different folks:

-5440 points at Ocean Enclave for the low low price of $24k for max

-It was going to cost another $20k to upgrade for max

-$11,750 for 2,500 annual points and max

-We have 13440 every year and we told him we didn’t want to buy anything else, so… he offered (to get me into max) to lower my points to 6400 a year, give us max, cut our yearly maintainence in half and it would only cost us 7200$

-He then briefly explained Max and offered a deeded property for about $12k

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I just don’t see enough sizzle in the DRI portfolio to be tempted. Cabo Azul is probably the nicest property. Everything else is just legacy resorts.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
First, the $25k per resale is a big lie. We have been offered to upgrade our Blvd for $7k to get in Max and if you follow along on FB and here on TUG, there have been a range of offers from $7k to $50k. Also, there aren't Elite in Max. There are Tiers. With each Tier, there are more benefits. Elite is in HGVC Legacy. Plus, there is the $7k option that is supposed to come out at some point but that would probably be for retail owners, not resale owners.

If you are still there, take that back to them to see what they say. The $7k upgrade fee for us was in Orlando in July.

I just don’t see enough sizzle in the DRI portfolio to be tempted. Cabo Azul is probably the nicest property. Everything else is just legacy resorts.

Thanks for the insights. Whether they call it Elite or Tiers is just semantics. $7k would still be too much just to access DRI resorts, as we agree with @buzglyd regarding their resorts. To some it may be worth it. Not so much for us.

Best regards.

Mike

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the insights. Whether they call it Elite or Tiers is just semantics. $7k would still be too much just to access DRI resorts, as we agree with @buzglyd regarding their resorts. To some it may be worth it. Not so much for us.

Best regards.

Mike
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that you lie.... But the sales person. That $25k fee has been tossed around by a few of them.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I am with you on that. Originally i was pretty certain i was interested, ideally by paying a fee to enroll my current setup. But the more I look the less excited i become.

Between my current HGV and MVC portfolio, i have access to most of the destinations i was to regularly visit. Max would give me a few new interesting locations, but i really have to think about how often i would visit those..

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Wow, take this stinky contract with low points and pay us $11.75k for the privilege of using those expensive HGVC points in lower rated resorts ( if there is anything decent left at 6 months ).

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, take this stinky contract with low points and pay us $11.75k for the privilege of using those expensive HGVC points in lower rated resorts ( if there is anything decent left at 6 months ).
oh, when you read some of the deals that are being pitched, they are terrible and I feel bad because some folks don't know and buy it......then regret it. And, of course, the FB community piles on to make them feel even worse.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Be aware that such optimistic and positive opinions are considered by many here to be heresy? Negative sentiment for the DRI acquisition must not be questioned.
I am an optimistic person and tend to make the best of a situation. So... Good point.... So far it has been very positive... New Years eve reservation in Scottsdale at a DRI property is a good thing...

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did a quick scan for upgrade and Max on one of the FB groups and here is what I mean, from different folks:

-5440 points at Ocean Enclave for the low low price of $24k for max

-It was going to cost another $20k to upgrade for max

-We have 13440 every year and we told him we didn’t want to buy anything else, so… he offered (to get me into max) to lower my points to 6400 a year, give us max, cut our yearly maintainence in half and it would only cost us 7200$

-He then briefly explained Max and offered a deeded property for about $12k
It is hard to keep track of all the options... End of the day they want to sell you "something"... I never know what I will get... I do the best I can... As we all do.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That makes sense to me and hopefully is how it works. To me, it certainly is crazy that all HGVC properties are available to HVC/DRI Max members but only a few HVC properties are available to HGVC members (unless your statement is true).
I just got an upgrade in Myrtle Beach to an Oceanfront at Enclave (still there)... If that is an indication of availability, then me getting an upgrade says the DRI folks are not stopping me from getting a complimentary upgrade. It is off season here in Myrtle Beach (but 70 degrees on the Ocean, so I'm not complaining.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am with you on that. Originally i was pretty certain i was interested, ideally by paying a fee to enroll my current setup. But the more I look the less excited i become.

Between my current HGV and MVC portfolio, i have access to most of the destinations i was to regularly visit. Max would give me a few new interesting locations, but i really have to think about how often i would visit those..
The DRI Resorts are not for everyone... Part of what I like is that the new locations open up driving trips to see more of the US... I can use my points and travel to more locations.... DRI may not be as nice as HGVC, but better than a hotel :cool:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Eh, not really the issue. I think the DRI acquisition/merger isn't a bad thing. How they have rolled it out and costs associated with it is what many here take issue with (at least I do). They are pushing something that they either they don't have the system worked out yet or they aren't fully explaining what the system is. It's why I believe that Apollo has a greater roll in this than we originally thought. MVC is taking their time (very long time) to get the interworking right while HGVC seems like it's making it up as it goes. This leaves sales to come up with extraordinary stretches of the truth and flat out lies to get people to buy (more so than usual).

While I probably would never purchase to get Max (I probably wouldn't purchase from HGVC either), there are those that have found value in their purchase. We all value different things and I do not find the entry cost into Max has value compared to what is offered.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree and think the roll out has been a sh*tshow. They are selling a program without much documentation and basically saying, trust us, it will be worth it, yet nothing in writing. The DRI Max side has a reference guide but nothing for the HGVC Max side and when you ask questions they either don't know the answer or appear to just make it up. HGVC could have done much better with this.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I must be me, but I have a very hard time believing ANYTHING which a timeshare salesperson tells me. I need to see it in official writing. Maybe I don't have the experience that the OP has, but my experience has been that the TS salesperson gives "half-truths" at best. So, I don't believe that the buy-in price (which I wouldn't currently buy-in anyways) is now at $25K. HGV Max has now been in the works for over 11 months, so I think what the OP might be seeing is currently correct on HGVC Max access to HVC/DRI resorts (very little) {this would be correct if this is an exchange}.

I am planning on starting a thread based on actual HGVC Max experience booking into HVC/DRI resorts. I don't need more TS sales propaganda or speculation (of which I have been a part of).

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree and think the roll out has been a sh*tshow. They are selling a program without much documentation and basically saying, trust us, it will be worth it, yet nothing in writing. The DRI Max side has a reference guide but nothing for the HGVC Max side and when you ask questions they either don't know the answer or appear to just make it up. HGVC could have done much better with this.
I prefer the HGV rollout even with the mess compared to 4.5 years of promises from Marriott. Maybe not great to compare one problem to another. Maybe I am just lucky. Since I have DRI, I have the material from their website. And that information is has been substantiated.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I must be me, but I have a very hard time believing ANYTHING which a timeshare salesperson tells me. I need to see it in official writing. Maybe I don't have the experience that the OP has, but my experience has been that the TS salesperson gives "half-truths" at best. So, I don't believe that the buy-in price (which I wouldn't currently buy-in anyways) is now at $25K. HGV Max has now been in the works for over 11 months, so I think what the OP might be seeing is currently correct on HGVC Max access to HVC/DRI resorts (very little) {this would be correct if this is an exchange}.

I am planning on starting a thread based on actual HGVC Max experience booking into HVC/DRI resorts. I don't need more TS sales propaganda or speculation (of which I have been a part of).
I need to see it in writing... I asked for the resale agreement in writing and this came in handy when corporate wouldn't approve it initially... I then sent the information I got from their own company and they then realized I had followed the rules... got the upgrade (for less because of exceptions).. I don't believe it until I see it in writing from an HGV email or a printout with letterhead (that they let me take a photo of or text to me). If they won't do it, I won't consider anything.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@Clifbell, I do appreciate your perspective. But, to me, if I am an HGVC owner trying to book into HGV/DRI properties, it seems like I would be super frustrated. This is of course based on your video/observations.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I need to see it in writing... I asked for the resale agreement in writing and this came in handy when corporate wouldn't approve it initially... I then sent the information I got from their own company and they then realized I had followed the rules... got the upgrade (for less because of exceptions).. I don't believe it until I see it in writing from an HGV email or a printout with letterhead (that they let me take a photo of or text to me). If they won't do it, I won't consider anything.
I don't understand what you are saying.