• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Televisions

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A post in another thread made me wonder how important timeshare televisions are to experienced timeshare users? One of our resorts now has 55 inch wall mounted TVs in the living room and smaller wall mounted TVs in each bedroom. We like having TVs in a resort to keep up with the news and weather. What do others expect on vacation?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Panini, how is your spouse going to enjoy some sports time away from The Commander In Chief?:ponder:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
20180601_093931.jpg
20180601_094127.jpg
20180601_094144.jpg

Look at this lovely living area from a 3BR Smuggs unit, then check out the TV in the main area (see yellow arrow). It might be 28 inches - maybe. It is a good 15 feet from the couch to the TV. Conceivably, Smuggs should have chosen to hang a TV over the fireplace (where the framed photo is) which would allow for a larger unit but during our 3 day stay, I think we turned this TV on one time.

I added the photo of the living area to give an idea of distance from the TV to the couch and provide a sense of the right lovely area in this 3BR unit.

The other photo is a shot of a guest BR with a TV - it is pretty much that same size as the TV in the living area.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
A post in another thread made me wonder how important timeshare televisions are to experienced timeshare users? One of our resorts now has 55 inch wall mounted TVs in the living room and smaller wall mounted TVs in each bedroom. We like having TVs in a resort to keep up with the news and weather. What do others expect on vacation?

My husband can't live without TV. It goes on when he wakes up. It goes on when he comes back for lunch. It goes on in the afternoon when he is being a couch potato and takes a nap and it goes on at night. Me- I could care less. Pollard Brook has had the big screen over the fireplace for awhile (and most recently put one in the master bedroom also). Big complaint there from our son and other guests is there is no TV in the second bedroom.

At Smuggs, for our building they are finally going to install big screens over the fireplace at least- but keeping the small TV's in the bedrooms. I had been asking the HOA for this for years and they have already started doing this in some of the other buildings in our West Hill community there.

At Smuggs we have had a small TV on the bottom shelf of a built in type bookcase in the living room since day one. Meanwhile, the couch is one of those long modular types and if you are sitting on the other end of it you cannot watch TV comfortably. The TV's are mounted down so they cannot be turned in any way.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
View attachment 8994 View attachment 8995 View attachment 8993
Look at this lovely living area from a 3BR Smuggs unit, then check out the TV in the main area (see yellow arrow). It might be 28 inches - maybe. It is a good 15 feet from the couch to the TV. Conceivably, Smuggs should have chosen to hang a TV over the fireplace (where the framed photo is) which would allow for a larger unit but during our 3 day stay, I think we turned this TV on one time.

I added the photo of the living area to give an idea of distance from the TV to the couch and provide a sense of the right lovely area in this 3BR unit.

The other photo is a shot of a guest BR with a TV - it is pretty much that same size as the TV in the living area.

Looks familiar! LOL!

You actually had a bigger living room TV than ours!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Depends on the trip and who's traveling with me.

If I have the bedroom to myself, that TV is never turned on. I don't spend a lot of time in the bedroom... when I do, it's because I'm looking for a quiet place.

I do like to catch the morning news while preparing breakfast, so a living room TV large enough to be seen/heard from the kitchen is preferred. If the family is there, we watch movies a few evenings. A 40" or larger TV is preferred in that case.

I have traveled with people who like to sleep with the TV on...that disturbs my sleep. I'd rather sleep with a loud snorer.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
At the local bar and then I get the whole place for myself with peace and quiet!
So, inquiring minds wonder....are these assignment ever flipped? :D

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So, inquiring minds wonder....are these assignment ever flipped? :D
Could be, on the timeshare terrace facing the bay, watching the boats and dolphins with a great tasting moscato wine.... he wants coffee and donuts, off he goes.

I do disappear to my own outside havens at times and he usually takes a snooze or goes on the computer.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could be, on the timeshare terrace facing the bay, watching the boats and dolphins with a great tasting moscato wine.... he wants coffee and donuts, off he goes.

I do disappear to my own outside havens at times and he usually takes a snooze or goes on the computer.
Excellent!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also the one that lives the tv as background all day. Saying this we usually travel to places where we can be active outside. We rarely go out at night so a nice tv is very nice to have. Since the daytime activities are the main focus it would never be much of a consideration. As much as I love tv I would rather have no tv at all and a great location where I can hike, bike, or ski.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I’d also agree it depends on the amenities available at the resort and in the immediate area. If we are going somewhere that has good wilderness hiking and lots of activities available, then having a TV isn’t so important. If we are going to stay in often and actually cook in the kitchen during our stay and eat in the room, then having the TV is nice as we tend to turn it on to check news and just to have some background noise available. I also like to be able to come back to the room and recharge for 15-30 minutes sometimes, in between activities, as I am an introvert so TV time is one of the ways I recharge my batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm not one to have the TV on for noise, company, etc. I like my peace and quiet. Although I do sometimes have it on one of the music channels available with cable. But when I want to watch a program I want a big screen. We have a 60 inch that we bought 7 years ago and my husband had an "only you" moment with me not too long ago when I asked him what he thought the life expectancy was of our TV because I want a bigger screen. I like the timeshares to at least have a 50 inch TV.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My husband can't live without TV. It goes on when he wakes up. It goes on when he comes back for lunch. It goes on in the afternoon when he is being a couch potato and takes a nap and it goes on at night. Me- I could care less. Pollard Brook has had the big screen over the fireplace for awhile (and most recently put one in the master bedroom also). Big complaint there from our son and other guests is there is no TV in the second bedroom.
This sounds like my FIL. When he travels with us, this is exactly how it is. The TV is turned on the second we enter the room. For us, we rarely if ever turn it on. Personally, there should be a coin slot next to the TV for those that want to use it, they should be paying for it! :D

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing more frustrating than finding an old CRT TV in your unit as we experienced 6 weeks ago. I had thought by now the old boxes would have been replaced everywhere. Well the living room had a 43" LG flat screen, but the bedroom had an old standard def cathode ray tube behemoth taking up a good portion of the small dresser.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Aside from size, you can also gauge the quality of a resort by the TV brand...
Hisense, Sharp, Sceptre, TCL, Vizio are all signs that the HOA has gone cheap.
LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung show the HOA has some quality filters.
<IMHO>

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Aside from size, you can also gauge the quality of a resort by the TV brand...
Hisense, Sharp, Sceptre, TCL, Vizio are all signs that the HOA has gone cheap.
LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung show the HOA has some quality filters.
<IMHO>
My non rated older Marco Island resort that I love has a Samsung TVs but still have older kitchens and baths, well maintained of course. I haven’t turned it on yet.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
DH thinks the bigger the TV the better, but as long as I can see the picture I'm happy. I do enjoy a 2nd TV in the bedroom as I don't watch the same type of shows as DH does. If we are in a 2 bedroom unit and DD joins us then she prefers to have her own TV as she doesn't watch the same shows as the old folks.

A few years ago we toured a newly renovated unit at The Silver Beach Club in Daytona Beach while we were staying there. The woman giving the tour was excited to show is the new big wall mounted TVs and new modern furniture. When we walked into the living room we both burst out laughing at the size of the television. Our desktop computer monitor is about the same size! DH turned the set on and there was a baseball game on, you could barely read the score, and couldn't see the ball, from the couch!

Silver Beach Club, reno'd 1 bedrm.jpg

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Television is a must, don't care how big it is (when we moved into this house I made Cliff take the first TV he bought for the bedroom back, it was humongous). First thing I do is make sure "my channels" are accessible -- can't get to Sunday night and find no zombies available (better to know right up front). Last thing I want to do when I get home is be faced with gobs of "make-up TV" so I try to stay current with my shows. TV at home only goes on in the morning if something is happening (unfortunately way too much morning TV these last few days in SoCal). I am so sorry they took the morning/early afternoon HLN shows off the air last month -- I especially miss Michaela. On vacation I'd turn those shows on as soon as I got up, and was part of what I loved about getting up in my own good time without cats encouraging me to do so.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the trip is just to getaway from home - then yes, I want a TV.....why because I rarely watch TV at home. I once told my DH that my perfect date night would be away from home, on a comfy couch, in comfy clothes with pizza delivery and binge watch a show for hours!

With that said, it isn't the size of the TV that matters to me, it is the quality of the sound. I remember staying at DVC Vero Beach for a week and the sound quality was so terrible I couldn't stand listening to the morning news.