• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Salesperson (New To Timeshare!) Need Some Advice!

CXMX

Reaction score
Okay first of all....PLEASE DONT KILL ME!:wave:

I am here because I genuinely love sales and I moved to Orlando last year (2015) and I started working for Starwood Vacation Ownership. I loved what I did. I loved meeting the families. I made connections that will last forever. I have never done timeshare before, but I learned early on that people either love or hate the industry.

I have since left Starwood, for my own personal reasons. But I was one of the top sellers there in my short time frame working there.

So here is my question for OWNERS! I want to go back to timeshare sales. I love it! I have researched every product out there and every review I come to always says Marriott Vacation Club is the number one (for happy owners) and Starwood is number 2. I constantly see Hilton ranked very low. I refuse to work at Westgate.

I want to go somewhere that is good to their owners and has an amazing product. I am 80% sure I am going to go with Marriott. I just want everyone's advice.

Please dont be mean to me lol!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Actually I think DVC is the only one that seems to sell straight forward 99.9% of the time without the BS that has crept into other sales including Marriott and Starwood.

CXMX

Reaction score
The only thing that makes me suspicious about selling with DVC is the deed versus right of use. My reputation means more to me than anything which is why I always do my own presentations and never bring anyone else in. I dont like my guests feeling pressured. If my guests dont care about deed versus right of use then I wont care either. Is there a preference among owners, deed versus right of use?

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing that makes me suspicious about selling with DVC is the deed versus right of use. My reputation means more to me than anything which is why I always do my own presentations and never bring anyone else in. I dont like my guests feeling pressured. If my guests dont care about deed versus right of use then I wont care either. Is there a preference among owners, deed versus right of use?
Dvc is the only product that retains value, won't ever change their brand name affiliation, and all in all probably has the most satisfied owners (as long as those owners like dvc).. the rtu component is mostly ignored by buyers as a concern. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Have you considered getting your license and working for a good broker on resales?

Lot's of opportunity.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay first of all....PLEASE DONT KILL ME!:wave:

I am here because I genuinely love sales and I moved to Orlando last year (2015) and I started working for Starwood Vacation Ownership. I loved what I did. I loved meeting the families. I made connections that will last forever. I have never done timeshare before, but I learned early on that people either love or hate the industry.

I have since left Starwood, for my own personal reasons. But I was one of the top sellers there in my short time frame working there.

So here is my question for OWNERS! I want to go back to timeshare sales. I love it! I have researched every product out there and every review I come to always says Marriott Vacation Club is the number one (for happy owners) and Starwood is number 2. I constantly see Hilton ranked very low. I refuse to work at Westgate.

I want to go somewhere that is good to their owners and has an amazing product. I am 80% sure I am going to go with Marriott. I just want everyone's advice.

Please dont be mean to me lol!

My experience is as a Wyndham owner and as an owner I find Wyndham to be good to me and I think it's an amazing product

I'm pretty sure all the developers can say that IE they are good to their owners and the product is amazing but that's not the only consideration I would choose to sell one company or another or choosing to sell tim shares or not

As a salesman myself I have always had a problem selling a product or service that's over priced and given that over 50% of the sales price is marketing timeshares are way overpriced

I would have trouble selling a product that's available on the secondary market for 10% of what I'm asking

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Back in the day when we bought directly from Smuggs we had an amazing sales rep. No pressure. Honest. Just great.

Now, with Wyndham taking over the sales, and Smuggs no longer assisting owners with their resales, she has started her own resale business of Smuggs properties. You might consider doing something like this.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Ask yourself this question would you buy the timeshare your selling to others? If so then go work for Marriott.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's easy to be honest selling a decent point system or new property as long as there are no obvious cheap equivalent resale options. For example at Marriott you might have many sales people volunteering lies like you will never have exchange success but you can successfully sell points without those same lies. You can buy Marriott points on the resale market but it isn't cheap.

The worst timeshare sales job is selling units at a property built decades ago where the same units are constantly being taken back and resold. You have to spin some tall tales to move those units that many times have a maintenance fee double the rental value. Unfortunately this is the majority of timeshare properties. Some of these places are stand alone and obvious but many times they are part of a "system" or a club. Points or reservation systems are designed to hide these undesirable properties and units.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If I liked sales and wanted to sell a line I believed in, I'd apply to a BMW dealer [change according to your preference].

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This would be the first question I would ask myself:

Do I have to lie to sell this product?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This would be the first question I would ask myself:

Do I have to lie to sell this product?

And unfortunately the greater the lies needed the higher the commissions. Not always true but generally.

New cars have to be the easiest thing in the world to sell, unless you work for Volkswagen.