• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

timeshare resort for hiking in California

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking about a hiking trip in CA area, if we can stay in a timeshare and hike about 5-7 miles a day, medium difficult, not strenuous hike, that would be great. Any suggestion for a place in California area? Oh, we are thinking about April or May, even June. July would be too warm.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We like the greater Tahoe area.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Agree with Denise. Then browse Amazon for a good Lake Tahoe hiking book.

I have a Mike White book that I like. We've used it on several trips. The Tahoe area is our favorite hiking spot in California. (And in Arizona it's hard to beat Sedona.)

You do have to be selective in choosing Lake Tahoe area hikes if you don't want anything too strenuous. You're in the mountains, and many of the hikes there have significant elevation gain.

The early fall months are really nice in Tahoe also. It gets less crowded than summer and the weather is still good for hiking.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Oh, we are thinking about April or May, even June. July would be too warm.
For April or May, you should look at lower elevation stuff. Most of the trails around Tahoe will still be under snow. Yosemite Valley, for instance with the waterfalls roaring, but the road to Glacier Point and the hikes up there won't open up until sometime in May or early June due to snow. Or wait until the fall when the temps cool down and all the high elevation stuff is still open.
There are also lots of hikes along the ocean. Monterey area has a bunch within an easy drive. The Mendocino coast has the GEVC at Lighthouse Pt. Small, but sufficient and location, location, location. The Mendocino Land Trust has a bunch of properties along the coast with short to longer trails. Combine several in a day or do something longer, there's lots of options. If you watch RCI, they frequently have cheap deals; we stayed 3 times for under $300 for the week on Getaways.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
You could stay at the San Luis Bay Inn in Avila Beach, and go hiking around San Luis Obispo County.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Nice coastal hikes if you can get in at Newport Coast Villas. Crystal Cove State Park right next door, and Top of the World in Laguna Beach.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the ideas for me! I really appreciate it and will choose some places and see if I can get confirmed.
Also, does anybody know about the east side of the Sierra Mountain, where is a good place to stay and tour around the mountain?

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Thank you so much for all the ideas for me! I really appreciate it and will choose some places and see if I can get confirmed.
Also, does anybody know about the east side of the Sierra Mountain, where is a good place to stay and tour around the mountain?
I did a lot of hiking there in the '90s - early '00s renting a place at Mammoth Lakes. Lots of great hiking both north and south. There is a timeshare near June Lake, but it never seems to be available in hiking season and wasn't that appealing. Mammoth has a lot of condos and house rentals which have gotten more expensive in the last 15 years but It has the most options and makes a good base. Fall/Sept is a great time but the weather can turn in early Oct. The big thing to remember is that much of the hiking is at 10000' and getting acclimated and how you personally react to altitude is a major consideration. But the aspens turning and the scenery is just spectacular and there are lots of good hikes that fit your criteria.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sue1947, Thank you so much for this precious info! This info is exactly what I am looking for!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None, yet
That is a spectacular area for hiking. I particularly like the Devil's Postpile area down to Rainbow Falls, but there are endless loops and trails throughout the area. It's all very pretty. Bring lots of water with you as it can get remote.

Have you heard of the alltrails.com website and app? It will help you find trails literally anywhere in the world. They rate them for ease/difficulty and let you know pertinent information such as length of hike, altitude gain, distance, and reviews. The reviews are very helpful for real life details about the trail.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Joshua Tree National Park - stay in the Palm Springs area.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we know all trails and use it often.
Joshua Tree National Park is a great hiking park, thank you for the info.
All inputs are really appreciated!!