• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Recyclers- BEWARE

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In case you are buying a Marriott or any resort with ROFR, beware if the bait and switch method they use.

I had a signed contract to purchase a Legend's Edge platinum unit and paid the requested deposit. They suggested a $500 deposit be paid via credit card but with a 35 credit card fee to start the process. I specifically asked if ROFR is exercised if I will get the full $535 back and they said yes.

Less than 3 days from signing of the contract and payment of deposit, I get a call letting me know that Marriott has a buy back offer on the unit and if I was willing to increase my price to match Marriott's. THIS IS AFTER WE HAVE A SIGNED CONTRACT AND MY DEPOSIT WAS PAID.

Now they are asking me for my bank details so they can wire my refund of $500 and they have refused to refund me the $35 fee- Remember that they are the ones that breached the contract.

Couple of things- w

- Why do they need my bank info to give me the refund when they can just reverse the initial credit card charge?

- They are refusing to refund me the $35 fee back. This is ridiculous since now I am out of pocket $35 for a contract they breached. The agent indicated it is not refundable since Marriott exercised ROFR, which in it self is a LIE. $35 isn't a lot of money, I am just pissed based on principle.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Set up a dispute with your credit card.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
In case you are buying a Marriott or any resort with ROFR, beware if the bait and switch method they use.

I had a signed contract to purchase a Legend's Edge platinum unit and paid the requested deposit. They suggested a $500 deposit be paid via credit card but with a 35 credit card fee to start the process. I specifically asked if ROFR is exercised if I will get the full $535 back and they said yes.

Less than 3 days from signing of the contract and payment of deposit, I get a call letting me know that Marriott has a buy back offer on the unit and if I was willing to increase my price to match Marriott's. THIS IS AFTER WE HAVE A SIGNED CONTRACT AND MY DEPOSIT WAS PAID.

Now they are asking me for my bank details so they can wire my refund of $500 and they have refused to refund me the $35 fee- Remember that they are the ones that breached the contract.

Couple of things- w

- Why do they need my bank info to give me the refund when they can just reverse the initial credit card charge?

- They are refusing to refund me the $35 fee back. This is ridiculous since now I am out of pocket $35 for a contract they breached. The agent indicated it is not refundable since Marriott exercised ROFR, which in it self is a LIE. $35 isn't a lot of money, I am just pissed based on principle.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

{Nevermind, I'm confused.}

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
They don't have an exercised ROFR from Marriott.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my read. If ROFR has been exercised, there is no rebidding. Scam.

There was never a ROFR submitted or received. They basically called me a few days later to let me know Marriott has a BUY BACK offer on the unit and if I wanted to up my price to equal that. I said no thanks, sell it back to Marriott.

What pisses me off is they should have sold it back to begin with and not waste my time. To add insult to injury, they want my bank details for the refund my deposit but they are not refunding the $35 fee.

Just want to alert fellow tuggers to as you rightfully pointed out - this SCAM

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is my read. If ROFR has been exercised, there is no rebidding. Scam.

That was my point originally which I deleted because I misunderstood that the Seller went back to the Buyer asking if he'd match a buyback offer, not an exercised ROFR. If I wanted to make their life difficult I'd ask to see the buyback offer email.

Other than that, if the $35 processing fee was paid with a credit card then I agree with the OP that both it and the $500 payment should be reversed; there shouldn't be any need for a wire transfer. Seaport104, are you within the time limits to dispute both charges on the card?

This company has a notice on their website that "justifies" their upfront fees. I'll never understand why folks buy from such companies. It effectively validates their business practices no matter if you're on the buying or selling side, doesn't it?

{ETA} I'm dropping this here for any interested Marriott owners: MVW is actively buying back/brokering select Weeks and in some cases their offers are higher than what's available from any external resale markets. There's no guarantee that any certain Week will be bought back or that any certain price will be offered for a Week but it's worth taking the little bit of time to ask if you're interested in selling. See the "Sell Weeks" page at Resales Operations here.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was my point originally which I deleted because I misunderstood that the Seller went back to the Buyer asking if he'd match a buyback offer, not an exercised ROFR. If I wanted to make their life difficult I'd ask to see the buyback offer email.

Other than that, if the $35 processing fee was paid with a credit card then I agree with the OP that both it and the $500 payment should be reversed; there shouldn't be any need for a wire transfer. Seaport104, are you within the time limits to dispute both charges on the card?

This company has a notice on their website that "justifies" their upfront fees. I'll never understand why folks buy from such companies. It effectively validates their business practices no matter if you're on the buying or selling side, doesn't it?

Yes, I am within the time limits to dispute the credit card charge. The statement hasn't closed yet. I think I need to wait until I get my statement with the charge to dispute.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am within the time limits to dispute the credit card charge. The statement hasn't closed yet. I think I need to wait until I get my statement with the charge to dispute.

You don't need to wait if you log in and it shows that the charge went through. As long as the charge is not pending and shows as a charge, you can start the dispute.

If you are mad enough, you can also file dispute with BBB. That won't help you in any way since you will get your money back from the credit card, but it may help let off some steam.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need to wait if you log in and it shows that the charge went through. As long as the charge is not pending and shows as a charge, you can start the dispute.

If you are mad enough, you can also file dispute with BBB. That won't help you in any way since you will get your money back from the credit card, but it may help let off some steam.

I didn't know that, thanks!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
By any chance did you have the refund of the $35 as part of the contract or at least documented through email with the company or was it just a phone conversation?

glmyers

TUG Member
Reaction score
It varies a bit from company to company, but most credit card dispute forms require you to outline the steps you took to have the party issue a credit back to your account or otherwise resolve the dispute. A dispute of the charge is the best way to ensure you get your money back, but be prepared to backup your claim by documenting your communication with the other person.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It happened to me

I sold a Disney's Boardwalk Villas Resort years ago. Disney excercised their ROFR but they gave me a chance to ask the buyer for $2 more per point. I did that. I felt awful doing it but it was the only way the buyer was going to get that contract. She paid the $2 more per point and the contract was finalized at that price. I think it may have been because I handled the sale and closing by myself and did not involve a broker. They may have thought it was a family member or something.

My point being that sometimes, yes rarely, there may be an alternate offer from the developer. I would ask to see the ROFR letter or simply call Marriott and ask them yourself.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They probably need your credit card information to process the credit because they don't retain your credit card information like the big merchants. They may just have a small merchant terminal or even using something like Square to process credit card transactions. They can't process a refund by just reversing the original transaction. It doesn't work that way.

I agree with others that the best way to deal with it will be to file a dispute with your credit card company.

The $35 never should have been promised to be refundable. That is lost dollars to them. Even if they process the refund, they are out the merchant fees to process the original transaction.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not correct....

They probably need your credit card information to process the credit because they don't retain your credit card information like the big merchants. They may just have a small merchant terminal or even using something like Square to process credit card transactions. They can't process a refund by just reversing the original transaction. It doesn't work that way.

I agree with others that the best way to deal with it will be to file a dispute with your credit card company.

The $35 never should have been promised to be refundable. That is lost dollars to them. Even if they process the refund, they are out the merchant fees to process the original transaction.

This is not accurate..

If this charge is still within the 60 day window for a dispute to be filed, the company that took the charge can simply reverse it. The only time that cannot be done is if the timeframe exceeds that window.

The business does not have to "retain" the credit card information. When the charge was originally processed, there will have been a receipt and transaction number that was generated that will be used to reverse the charge. Whether that was on paper or via a virtual receipt, the business will have that information attached to the file.

Finally, for services such as square the merchant fees are refunded when the charge is reversed, so the business does not lose any money.

Credit card processing has advanced tremendously.. Merchant accounts offer great flexibility in most cases as long as the charge is relatively recent.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
agreed, its a no brainer to refund even part of a credit card transaction as long as its within the last 60 days.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not accurate..

If this charge is still within the 60 day window for a dispute to be filed, the company that took the charge can simply reverse it. The only time that cannot be done is if the timeframe exceeds that window.

The business does not have to "retain" the credit card information. When the charge was originally processed, there will have been a receipt and transaction number that was generated that will be used to reverse the charge. Whether that was on paper or via a virtual receipt, the business will have that information attached to the file.

Finally, for services such as square the merchant fees are refunded when the charge is reversed, so the business does not lose any money.

Credit card processing has advanced tremendously.. Merchant accounts offer great flexibility in most cases as long as the charge is relatively recent.

Thanks, that is what I thought as well. Otherwise, lots of businesses (especially department stores) would lose $$.