• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare owners navigate coronavirus cancellation policies

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If everyones points were moved to next year there would be a shortage of weeks available for next year. It is just pushing forward a use problem. Instead of owners complaining now, they will complain later.

I always understood the risk of not being able to use my timeshares due to natural disasters like hurricanes or personal issues like sickness. Whereas I understand why timeshare owners are upset my personal belief is it was the risk one takes being an owner. I have already accepted that most of my weeks could be a loss to me this year.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I was just going to post this...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is not a consumer friendly policy for Vistana owners. We have an EOY Odd. Hopefully we won't run into this issue next year.

Our HGVC is much more flexible, we have banked 2019 points and they are banking them automatically into next year for free. I believe they will do the same with this year's points. If 2021 doesn't work we can bank into RCI for 2 more years. This gives us a big window to use the points.

Last edited:

stumahlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If everyones points were moved to next year there would be a shortage of weeks available for next year. It is just pushing forward a use problem. Instead of owners complaining now, they will complain later. / I always understood the risk of not being able to use my timeshares due to natural disasters like hurricanes or personal issues like sickness.

In this case, a hurricane hit ALL timeshares (figuratively speaking, of course). It would be reasonable for "use years" for 2020 points as well as 2020 weeks to be extended for up to, say, three years, thru 2023. Most of us would continue to pay our maintenance fees, knowing that sooner or later we'd be getting something for our money.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I don’t understand why people think “ownership” shouldn’t convey with risk. If you have a vacation home in Hawaii, you have to continue paying property taxes and upkeep even if you can’t use it. Same goes for timeshares. The management company is using its best judgment in trying to re-accommodate as many owners as possible. Too many people would rather complain than accept responsibility for their own decisions.

firechaser

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people think “ownership” shouldn’t convey with risk. If you have a vacation home in Hawaii, you have to continue paying property taxes and upkeep even if you can’t use it. Same goes for timeshares. The management company is using its best judgment in trying to re-accommodate as many owners as possible. Too many people would rather complain than accept responsibility for their own decisions.
HOWEVER it this case the State of Hawaii says you have to stay isolated for 14 days if you are only going for 7 it makes no sense. This is a government order not a "natural disaster" basically do to the order you cant fully enjoy the timeshare so the company / owners association took a risk and now they have to help to purchaser / owner. Is it not true they took your maintenance fees with the understanding you would be able to use the resort. So if you dont want to extend the points return the maintenance fees. This also applies to the club membership fees

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
HOWEVER it this case the State of Hawaii says you have to stay isolated for 14 days if you are only going for 7 it makes no sense. This is a government order not a "natural disaster" basically do to the order you cant fully enjoy the timeshare so the company / owners association took a risk and now they have to help to purchaser / owner. Is it not true they took your maintenance fees with the understanding you would be able to use the resort. So if you dont want to extend the points return the maintenance fees. This also applies to the club membership fees

No, the company and owners association did not take a risk. The owners took a risk. Nobody owes you “enjoyment” of your property. You are more than welcome (in theory) to fly there and quarantine in your unit for 7 days.

firechaser

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, the company and owners association did not take a risk. The owners took a risk. Nobody owes you “enjoyment” of your property. You are more than welcome (in theory) to fly there and quarantine in your unit for 7 days.
However why waste your money like that. In regards to your theroy about a home you can control aspects of it i.e. if you had a pool you could still use it. If you wanted to walk about your property you could however since the Timeshare is run by a business be it Marriott Hilton whoever they are denying you use of your property. MATCHPOINT! Since they are dentina you use of your property they have to either refund the maintenance fees or make arrangements with you for later use even if it is a year or two down the road. The key point is management is denying you.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
However why waste your money like that. In regards to your theroy about a home you can control aspects of it i.e. if you had a pool you could still use it. If you wanted to walk about your property you could however since the Timeshare is run by a business be it Marriott Hilton whoever they are denying you use of your property. MATCHPOINT! Since they are dentina you use of your property they have to either refund the maintenance fees or make arrangements with you for later use even if it is a year or two down the road. The key point is management is denying you.

Actually, you didn't purchase any of the amenities at a resort. You purchased a specific unit (or interest in a unit via points) so as long as the key works the door of your unit, you have not been denied access to your unit and the obligations of your contract have been met. If you read your contract you'll most likely notice there is no mention of a pool, hot tub, club house or any other amenity so not having access to those things at a resort is not denial of access to what you purchased.

firechaser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, you didn't purchase any of the amenities at a resort. You purchased a specific unit (or interest in a unit via points) so as long as the key works the door of your unit, you have not been denied access to your unit and the obligations of your contract have been met. If you read your contract you'll most likely notice there is no mention of a pool, hot tub, club house or any other amenity so not having access to those things at a resort is not denial of access to what you purchased.
Yes no mention of it however that is what is sold during their sales presentation. Yes all verbal but once you have year upon year of same activities it becomes expected and when you get your maintenance fee notice most if not all have how the money will be spent and I am sure some of the things you cant use are there. Additionally what not established was was the resort closed if it was closed you cant get a key to enter.