• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Legal Action Fraud ???

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Lagoon
I received a phone call and follow-up email from someone representing themselves as in the Attorney General's office in Mexico. They said that they raided a phone-bank of bad people illegally selling timeshares and they supposedly found my name and want to help me recover funds from Sunset. Having gotten burned before trying to sell my timeshare, I want to find out if this is a scam. Below is the email follow-up I received, as well as the 2 documents referenced.

I recently received this email and 2 documents (ACUERDOI DE AUTORIZACION and CUESTIONARIO). I assume this is a scam. Can anyone shed light?

Good afternoon Mr. XXXXXXXX.

As we spoke before, I’m sending this email with two forms. Please fill them up with all the information you have about your case and send them back to this same email address.

Also if you have documentation regarding this case, please scan them and send it by email to this same address, it would be very helpful.

If you have any doubt please do not hesitate to call me or sending me an email.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Lic. Ernesto Solano Fernández.

Dirección de Verificación

Fiscalía General de la República

Avenida Insurgentes No. 20,

Glorieta del Metro Insurgentes.

Col. Roma Norte, Ciudad de México, C.P. 06700.

Tel 01152-(558) 526-4996
While I hope this is legit, I am afraid it is yet another hole in the water to pour money into.

Attachments

• ACUERDO DE AUTORIZACION.pdf
    133 KB · Views: 68
  • CUESTIONARIO.pdf
    255.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you have listed your TS for sale somewhere, and this solicitations to you 'out of the blue' assume it's a scam designed to separate you from more of your money. As I said in the other thread you contributed to, NOBODY WILL COLD CALL YOU TO GIVE YOU MONEY. NOBODY!

Jim

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a phone call and follow-up email from someone representing themselves as in the Attorney General's office in Mexico. They said that they raided a phone-bank of bad people illegally selling timeshares and they supposedly found my name and want to help me recover funds from Sunset.
Did you pay Sunset money and therefore are entitled to getting money back from them?
If you did, is there any harm in filling out the paperwork? If they are expecting you to pay them any amount, than hell no, don't give them the time of day. If they are asking for info and you believe that you are owed money from the place they claim they can get money from, let them do it. If you aren't paying any money out, what's the worst thing that can happen? Will they steal your timeshare? Do you care if they do?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a phone call and follow-up email from someone representing themselves as in the Attorney General's office in Mexico. They said that they raided a phone-bank of bad people illegally selling timeshares and they supposedly found my name and want to help me recover funds from Sunset. Having gotten burned before trying to sell my timeshare, I want to find out if this is a scam. Below is the email follow-up I received, as well as the 2 documents referenced.

I recently received this email and 2 documents (ACUERDOI DE AUTORIZACION and CUESTIONARIO). I assume this is a scam. Can anyone shed light?

Good afternoon Mr. XXXXXXXX.

As we spoke before, I’m sending this email with two forms. Please fill them up with all the information you have about your case and send them back to this same email address.

Also if you have documentation regarding this case, please scan them and send it by email to this same address, it would be very helpful.

If you have any doubt please do not hesitate to call me or sending me an email.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Lic. Ernesto Solano Fernández.

Dirección de Verificación

Fiscalía General de la República

Avenida Insurgentes No. 20,

Glorieta del Metro Insurgentes.

Col. Roma Norte, Ciudad de México, C.P. 06700.

Tel 01152-(558) 526-4996
While I hope this is legit, I am afraid it is yet another hole in the water to pour money into.

Sounds real good, doesn't it? Forget about it!

Don't bite. It is a SCAM. Keep your hands in your pocket and protect your assets!

tburgess2000

Reaction score
@Timeshare_Stuck_With

I'm hoping you end up seeing this and can provide an update. I received the same phone call last Thursday and was told of an incoming email. By the time the weekend hit I had been happy that I never got one. I asked the guy on the phone how I'm able to verify what he was telling me, he assured me that would be easy and so I figured the lack of email meant that he was giving up because I wouldn't be able to verify his story. Well, today is Monday and it showed up in my inbox this morning and it is exactly the same as what you got, only a different name in the signature line. Since my initial call, I reached out to the resort and they said it was a scam and they are not being investigated by the Mexican government for Breach of Contract and Fraud around their membership program. I'm sure they're totally correct, but I just don't know who to trust since the resort is a Mexican based company.

The only reason why I'm even considering sending this info is because he mentioned that I could be detained the next time my family goes to Mexico. Of course, that's exactly what they would say to get me to send this stuff over.

People suck...

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@Timeshare_Stuck_With

I'm hoping you end up seeing this and can provide an update. I received the same phone call last Thursday and was told of an incoming email. By the time the weekend hit I had been happy that I never got one. I asked the guy on the phone how I'm able to verify what he was telling me, he assured me that would be easy and so I figured the lack of email meant that he was giving up because I wouldn't be able to verify his story. Well, today is Monday and it showed up in my inbox this morning and it is exactly the same as what you got, only a different name in the signature line. Since my initial call, I reached out to the resort and they said it was a scam and they are not being investigated by the Mexican government for Breach of Contract and Fraud around their membership program. I'm sure they're totally correct, but I just don't know who to trust since the resort is a Mexican based company.

The only reason why I'm even considering sending this info is because he mentioned that I could be detained the next time my family goes to Mexico. Of course, that's exactly what they would say to get me to send this stuff over.

People suck...

You KNOW this is a scam, right?

The original poster hasn't been back to TUG since the day he posted in 2019 so I doubt you will hear from them. However, there isn't a shred of doubt that this is a scam. Not only is it a scam but they are also trying scare tactics which is also common with scammers. If you were defrauded why would they threaten that YOU would be detained? Ignore the e-mails and don't answer any calls from unknown numbers.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scammers don't report people to the "law." Rest assured that these guys will only be looking to drain your wallet. Don't think twice about it.

Reactions: RX8

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
This is a fraud that has been going on for some time. I spent quite a bit of time with these people, both online and on the phone. I described this earlier here on TUG. It sounded good at first, but proved to be too good to be true. I reported it also to both Mexican authorities and to US authorities. No one seemed to care.