• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Industry requests US Government Financial Assistance

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
From StreetTalk: TS Industry Seeks Help From the Federal Government

Street Talk has received documentation that ARDA has declared a timeshare industry liquidity crisis and, with input from timeshare developers and other interested parties, is in the process of requesting assistance from the White House Counsel of Economic Advisors.

A conference call between that White House Counsel and a select few CEO-level ARDA board members was held on Oct. 10, during which the Counsel asked for a one-page summary of the industry’s size, paper terms and performance, delinquencies, etc. You can see the resulting document HERE.

See the ARDA document by clicking on the link in the quote.

------

Doing my best not ... to .... editorialize ...........

Last edited:

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Very amusing stuff. But after all, JP Morgan took over Bear Stears, and B of A ate up Merrill Lynch. JP Morgan swallowed up Washington Mutual, and it looks like Wells Fargo is getting Wachovia. But when the government let Lehman Brothers go into bankruptcy, this was one of the shocks that may have contributed to the huge stock market collapse we had a few weeks ago.

What will the Fed do? Will they bail out the timeshare industry as well? Will JP Morgan end up owning Marriott Vacation Club? Perhaps Citicorp will eat up Starwood for pennies on the dollar? Maybe I'll be able to bundle my mortgage and my timeshare maintenance fees to get a discount.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
From StreetTalk: TS Industry Seeks Help From the Federal Government

See the ARDA document by clicking on the link in the quote.

------

Doing my best not ... to .... editorialize ...........

The article says this: "A conference call between that White House Counsel and a select few CEO-level ARDA board members was held on Oct. 10, during which the Counsel asked for a one-page summary of the industry’s size, paper terms and performance, delinquencies, etc."

What I'm wondering: Did that conference call last "90 minutes"... and were there any gifts involved?

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The article says this: "A conference call between that White House Counsel and a select few CEO-level ARDA board members was held on Oct. 10, during which the Counsel asked for a one-page summary of the industry’s size, paper terms and performance, delinquencies, etc."

:hysterical: What I'm wondering: Did that conference call last "90 minutes"... and were there any gifts involved?

Good one Carol! Maybe the US government could contribute several hundred gift certificates, a couple of bottles of tequila and some discounts to area restaurants to help jump start the economy! Funtime

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
This tells me there will be lots of foreclosures and repo action up next. That in turn will result in a reduction in maintenance fee payments. Someone has to pay the bills so look for "special assessments" for those who are owners in good standing.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe there would be less of a crisis if large developers stopped raising prices ($41,000 for a Palm Springs 2BR unit at Westin??? Right.). I also just got info from Marriott for Newport Coast and in the brochure it says new prices effective October 31 ($1000 increase per unit per week)! I mean COME ON. Get with the program people.

A week is not worth such steep prices, especially since those same units were 1/2 that price just 5 years ago. Artificial inflation without any true gain in value -- no wonder no one is buying.

I hope the goverment walks away. We have way more important "crises" to deal with in our world than that of greedy TS developers.

Katherine

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope the goverment walks away. We have way more important "crises" to deal with in our world than that of greedy TS developers.

Katherine

:clap: It's exactly what the government should do!