• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare industry consolidation to continue?

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
One of the long term TS industry trends that many here correctly saw coming years ago is consolidation.
There are now 3 publicly traded companies that are dominant - TNL, VAC and HGV.

1. Does anyone know what % of the US market these 3 control?

2. What public or private companies are #4, #5, #6 ? I suppose revenue is the appropriate measure, not really talking about TS systems or popularity.

3. Do you think consolidation will continue to be a theme in the TS industry? If so, what companies do you see being acquisition targets and what companies will be the 'acquirers'?

Last edited:

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I don't know enough about how the systems vs management vs developer exactly works. But I don't really see buying a large manager like Vacation Village or Capital Vacations fitting in well with HGV or VAC. They're likely too downmarket and HGV has the DRI and BG to digest still - that's enough locations and downmarket for quite a few years as far as I can tell.

TNL seems more OK / ready / prepared for kind of a random assortment of locations, but I question if after Worldmark they want another incompatible system. TNL also has the most varied locations already, so IDK if there's value for them to want to integrate (in any way) VV or CV. I don't think any of the systems need more locations in Orlando... I could see them trying to take over parts of stand alone resorts, especially if they can add them to CWP or WM but IDK how possible that would be. The upshot of that is different locations, which can always be beneficial, but there's still the potential needed uplift.

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Are there any public TS companies other than the 'big 3'? Disney, but TS is a relatively minor part there. I'm not sure DVC would rank if it was split out in terms of revenue. I don't see DVC being on either end of consolidation.

I don't think acquisitions necessarily have to be just from the Big 3. Of the TS companies left, Capital Vacations seems to be the one most likely to be in the acquisition phase. They have private equity backing. The proudly proclaimed they are the fastest growing company in the industry. It seems to me their business model is similar to Diamond's.
That seems to have worked out well for Diamond's ownership/management group, maybe less so for TS owners. I remember a lot of complaints at the time that Diamond was financing their expansion and upgrades off the backs of existing TS owners. A clever trick if you can pull it off!
My sense is that private equity has a defined number of years in which they expect a significant return on their investment. Getting bought out or taken public are typical ways that can be achieved.

VV's website states they are employee owned.
Westgate, HICV, Spinnaker are privately owned. Many of the privately owned systems are at generational ownership change points. Will the next gen of owners stay interested in running a TS business?