• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare fam fraud

Juliyogee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What should I do my brother put 28 timeshares under my name should I sell them or take him to court

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What should I do my brother put 28 timeshares under my name should I sell them or take him to court
We need more information, but I doubt he can do that without your permission.

Juliyogee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We need more information, but I doubt he can do that without your permission.
Haha well I don't know how he did it I have proof i was in prison and since he think I was never going to turn my life around he told my aunt o well let him deal with it when he gets out but yeah why would I let him put timeshares under my name

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think given the situation, you would need to involve an attorney.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No on the flip side I could sell them right?
Maybe, maybe not. They may not have any value or may have a negative value where you have to pay a year of maintenance fees and all closing costs to get someone to take them from you. Or you may need to pay the resort a fee to do some kind of deed back.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Juliyogee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe, maybe not. They may not have any value or may have a negative value where you have to pay a year of maintenance fees and all closing costs to get someone to take them from you. Or you may need to pay the resort a fee to do some kind of deed back.
That would be tough. Timeshare have little to no real value on the market.
I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me i knew nothing about timeshares and to have as many as 28 under my name ain't good thank u guys so much

Juliyogee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me i knew nothing about timeshares and to have as many as 28 under my name ain't good thank u guys so much
What does it mean when it say net value

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am not sure how you want to proceed with this situation, but I do know you need to act quickly before it destroys your credit rating.

If you own 28 timeshares, and each timeshare has $1,000 maintenance fee (on average) then you are "on the hook" for an expense of $28,000 per year. No matter what the total expense actually is I am very confident that you do not want to be held responsible for this ongoing liability.

It appears you may be a victim of fraud and you do need to deal with it immediately!

Thinking about selling them to make some money? Don't. Most timeshares are very likely worth little or nothing and are usually hard to unload.

Best of luck!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Also, if they haven't been paying the maintenance fees for past years, these could all be past due and can't be sold until made current.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Haha well I don't know how he did it I have proof i was in prison and since he think I was never going to turn my life around he told my aunt o well let him deal with it when he gets out but yeah why would I let him put timeshares under my name
What do you mean "They were put in my name"? Was title transferred to you? Were you added to account? If so you need to record a disclaimer of interest, and express rejection of transfer. No one can unilaterally transfer property to you against your will. Probably write a letter to timeshare company stating the same as well.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean "They were put in my name"? Was title transferred to you? Were you added to account? If so you need to record a disclaimer of interest, and express rejection of transfer. No one can unilaterally transfer property to you against your will. Probably write a letter to timeshare company stating the same as well.
Pursue this and you will win. Don't let them brush you off. Just be dogged and determined...

George

R1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Holiday Club
Sounds like your brother was running a timeshare scam to get people out of their timeshares and using you as a shell to transfer ownership. You should contact a lawyer.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Sounds like your brother was running a timeshare scam to get people out of their timeshares and using you as a shell to transfer ownership. You should contact a lawyer.
I was kind of thinking the same thing myself. Were all 28 timeshares owned by members of the family. That seems like an awful lot.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Any good locations? You may be able to “sell” or give some of them away for free if they are in desirable places. You may be able to cut some down.

I’m not judging, but your brother is awful, ok yeah, I am judging. He’s awful.

Juliyogee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any good locations? You may be able to “sell” or give some of them away for free if they are in desirable places. You may be able to cut some down.

I’m not judging, but your brother is awful, ok yeah, I am judging. He’s awful.
Big bear

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
i would get some level of law enforcement involved. There are probably a number of laws he’s broken along the way.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

BIG BEAR
Your brother or the name of the timeshare ?

sorry - i couldn’t resist
Big Bear - Worldmark Resorts
240 Starvation Flats Rd.
Big Bear Lake , California

Are all 28 timeshare contracts at this one resort.?

If they are Worldmark contracts they may have value.
There could also be weeks at Big Bear that are not owned by Worldmark.
A prime season week could have value or at least easy to give away.

If you have further information you can post here, there are TUG members who can give you
specifics on each of the ownerships.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
This is not legal advice, just my speculation. If you tried to sell any of them, a lawyer for the remaining timeshares may be able to claim that since you sold them, you accepted ownership, and you would not be able to deny ownership of the ones you couldn't sell. Contacting the police to report fraud sound like a good idea.

Juliyogee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BIG BEAR
Your brother or the name of the timeshare ?

sorry - i couldn’t resist
Big Bear - Worldmark Resorts
240 Starvation Flats Rd.
Big Bear Lake , California

Are all 28 timeshare contracts at this one resort.?

If they are Worldmark contracts they may have value.
There could also be weeks at Big Bear that are not owned by Worldmark.
A prime season week could have value or at least easy to give away.

If you have further information you can post here, there are TUG members who can give you
specifics on each of the ownerships.
Man I thank you guys all you guys gave me so much knowledge that I wouldn't have known before hand

Juliyogee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Go to San bernardino County pims gogle it and from there go to property search enter my name and see for yourself

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

A deed requires grantee "acceptance" to be valid. *IF* these "28 timeshares" are deeded and someone made you a unknowing, unwilling "grantee" on new deeds without your participation, that's fraud. You can almost certainly get those new deeds voided.

If the situation you describe is true (I struggle to grasp who has 28 timeshares to sign over to someone else in the first place :ponder::ponder:),
you can (and should) consult a competent attorney to help get those deeds voided ASAP. This is not a "do it yourself" matter.
One way or another, you will need competent legal counsel and assistance to help straighten out a tangled mess like this one.

Not provided as legal advice nor as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney in your own state, but I would suggest having a preliminary conversation with an attorney before going to law enforcement. You need a action strategy and you need it sooner rather than later. I would start with an attorney who can recommend the next best steps in the sequence and process of organizing and documenting a fraud case, if that is where this matter is headed. If brought to law enforcement personnel first, it would not be high priority and it might well just sit and languish unattended, gathering dust, for much longer than would be in your best interest.

Just my own personal opinion and specific suggestions to initiate overt action; this mess certainly won't just fix itself on its' own.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Did your brother forge your signature?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did your brother forge your signature?

In most states, only "grantor(s)" sign deeds --- not the recipient ("grantee"), so a forged signature may never have been necessary.

There are exceptions. New Orleans comes to mind as one place where grantee signature is required, but this particular OP-described situation seems to be a CA matter (and I claim no knowledge whatsoever regarding California law or practices) .

Last edited: