• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Timeshare Exchange Tax" coming to a city near you?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting, not quite sure how this tax would be collected, or if its even significant enough to warrant the extra work/effort required to collect it?

even the lawmakers seem to agree on that front:

Foote and City Finance Director Kim Weber said it is nearly impossible to determine how many timeshare units are located in the city and how many are occupied, but The Steamboat Grand, Legacy Vacation Club, The Village at Steamboat and Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas are the four biggest examples.

Foote said it’s difficult to estimate how much revenue the city would garner from such a tax.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Interesting, not quite sure how this tax would be collected, or if its even significant enough to warrant the extra work/effort required to collect it?

What a money grab. It's bad enough that some locations already pay a surcharge on property taxes/

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.

I can see this working with "exchangers" since they are not technically owners in the specific resort. I would seriously balk if it applied to everyone since the owners pay all of the other city taxes (property, mill levy) already. The resort owners would likely be required to manage the collection and documentation for the tax; like they do now for sales/hotel taxes.

It will be interesting to see how they would define an "exchanger" since it is has an internal exchange using options. If I owned at the Beaver Creek Westin and used my options go to Steamboat, since I have no direct ownership at Steamboat, would I be subject to the tax? What if I owned Sheraton Flex, in which case I did have an ownership stake? This might get complicated very quickly.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can see this working with "exchangers" since they are not technically owners in the specific resort. I would seriously balk if it applied to everyone since the owners pay all of the other city taxes (property, mill levy) already. The resort owners would likely be required to manage the collection and documentation for the tax; like they do now for sales/hotel taxes.
Aren't exchangers paying that too though? They are paying all the taxes on whatever property they own when exchanging in. Say we do a one for one exchange. Why should I get to pay extra fees and taxes when I stay at your resort but you pay nothing extra at mine? I don't like add on fees, resort fees, parking fees, internet fees or other garbage fees when exchanging. I am not exchanging into a resort to subsidize their MFs.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aren't exchangers paying that too though? They are paying all the taxes on whatever property they own when exchanging in. Say we do a one for one exchange. Why should I get to pay extra fees and taxes when I stay at your resort but you pay nothing extra at mine? I don't like add on fees, resort fees, parking fees, internet fees or other garbage fees when exchanging. I am not exchanging into a resort to subsidize their MFs.
You could certainly argue that this would amount to double taxation since timeshare owners already pay property tax.

The council members are clearly outraged they can't get tax the tourists like they do with a regular hotel. They seem to be desperate to raise money without raising taxes on their local population that would vote them out of office.

If they want to tax the timeshares, they could simply raise the property tax, but they would have to raise it on everyone in the community and that would not end well.

I would suspect this will end up going nowhere because it would likely end in a long legal battle, but never underestimate government.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You could certainly argue that this would amount to double taxation since timeshare owners already pay property tax.

The council members are clearly outraged they can't get tax the tourists like they do with a regular hotel. They seem to be desperate to raise money without raising taxes on their local population that would vote them out of office.

If they want to tax the timeshares, they could simply raise the property tax, but they would have to raise it on everyone in the community and that would not end well.

I would suspect this will end up going nowhere because it would likely end in a long legal battle, but never underestimate government.
Places like Hawaii, Mexico and Aruba have instituted per night occupancy taxes. So not sure why it couldn't happen in other states. Might be harder on a local level vs state level though. Of course an occupancy tax would apply to all guests, owners and exchangers alike.

bobmnu

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Is this the first salvo on a general tax increase. First tax people who have no say in the tax then start applying it to others through losing court cases. In my county that put in a bed tax on Motels and it applied when a person stayed in the room. It was later applied to Nursing Homes amounting to several hundred dollars a year added to an already financial burden on families. There is a Constitutional question of taxation with out representation. If they can do this can they then tax you for traveling through their community? If they can do that could they put a tax on travel by any means such as a fee on each passenger for the airline landing but not departing the plane? Maybe just flying through the states air space? Local communities will find a way to tax those who can not object in a recent review I read where for "safety reasons" time share and motels were not allowed to have an oven or stove in the unit thus making the visitor use the local restaurants.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Places like Hawaii, Mexico and Aruba have instituted per night occupancy taxes. So not sure why it couldn't happen in other states. Might be harder on a local level vs state level though. Of course an occupancy tax would apply to all guests, owners and exchangers alike.
Usvi too. We own there and still have to pay

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 12 weeks in a Fractional Ownership condo on Maui. We have to pay the occupancy tax for every night we occupy our owned unit. Any friends that use our unit condo have to pay the tax. Taxes are collected by our resident manager, up on arrival for the number of nights occupied. Just part 'of doing business' with Hawaii.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

I love how they talk about taxing timeshares is "Equitable" and spreads the tax burden. My question is if they are spreading the tax burden, show me where they cut someone taxes!