• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2022 ] Timeshare Default Credit Report/Collection Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Just some trends I noticed.

Out of 50 data points, 14 percent of MF defaults get reported to the credit agencies, while 59 percent of mortgage defaults do.

Canadian or foreign owners of US TS have less reason to worry about credit score drops.

Wyndham and Vacation Villages seem reasonable on MF default, but Wyndham and HIVC seem to report mortgage defaulters to the credit agencies.
Keep in mind that T/S mortgages would already be a credit line on one's report. The default is just an update of that credit line.

On the other hand, MF are not a installment or revolving debt which are standard ongoing types of borrowing on one's report. MF default would fall into the next category being reported, a "collection."

These 2 paths would be consistent with how your home mortgages and HOA fees are reported. Unless your HOA has filed for collection, it is typically not shown on your credit report.

Robin4

Reaction score
If you fail to pay a UK based debt, do bailiffs visit your home and take your possessions?
Hi and thanks for responding. Yes, here in the uk that does happen if you continue to ignore requests to pay debt that you owe. Usually happens after courts have become involved and you are ordered to pay but do not. IS it different in the US? If so, you will appreciate why I am struggling with differences between both countries.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi and thanks for responding. Yes, here in the uk that does happen if you continue to ignore requests to pay debt that you owe. Usually happens after courts have become involved and you are ordered to pay but do not. IS it different in the US? If so, you will appreciate why I am struggling with differences between both countries.
In the US, they may sue and if they get a judgement they can garnish your wages. They won't usually pull up at your house to take your furniture and trinkets. Those have really no value, but garnished wages = money. I don't think I have ever heard of a single instance of this happening with a timeshare in the United States. They usually file a lien against the deed and then initiate foreclosure. When foreclosed, it goes to foreclosure sale and most often the developer or HOA takes the deed. The foreclosure is what is most likely to hit one's credit and if there is a mortgage on the timeshare, those defaulted payments may show as past 30 days delinquent also impacting credit scores.

Robin4

Reaction score
We too have what we call arrestment of wages here in the UK but if, like us, you are not earning because you are retired or on state benefits, they come and take your TV, computer, mobile phones etc., anything that can be sold on.
I am so grateful for the time you have already taken to explain to me the differences between our 2 countries. I will now stop worrying quite so much about what might happen to us if we are unsuccessful in giving our timeshare away to someone. Thank you for that. It means a lot. Take care and hope you stay well during this trying and difficult time for all around the world. Looking forward to better times ahead. Even a bit of sunshine would help!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
How much do you owe? Is it MF only? If small $ or independent timeshare, I doubt they would come after you because the cost of legal alone would wipe out any deficiency they could extract.

What is the property or system for the TS? Why won't they accept a deedback?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
How much do you owe? Is it MF only? If small $ or independent timeshare, I doubt they would come after you because the cost of legal alone would wipe out any deficiency they could extract.

What is the property or system for the TS? Why won't they accept a deedback?

I am finding lately the TS’s are pushing back from deed backs lately. My guess is they are getting bulletted with requests and need to dam the flood. Perhaps, finding new MF paying owners is getting more difficult?

I do know the TS’s in states with non judicial, anti deficiency laws are left with fewer options and thus are more willing to deed back because they’re left with few legal options.

Where you live matters too. If you live in the same state as the TS, they have more clout. If you are international, less likely anything happens except foreclosure and no reporting on credit file as credit files are domestic.

Actually, in my opinion, buying internationally in non judicial, anti deficiency areas is the way to go to mitigate the risks if you need to pull the plug. Check your legal rights BEFORE plunging is always best in my opinion.

Lastly, BUY RESALE and $ave big. Plus, you probably don’t need to borrow any money to buy either. That way, it’s not linked to your credit file. I don’t know anyone that has credit reporting if they own outright. Read the contract carefully and if they ask for permission to share with credit bureaus, I wouldn’t sign it. Why? You own it outright? I know they like a creditor/debtor relationship with MF if they had their way but not happening on my watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a timeshare in Mexico owned by a Mexican company. Our contract was for 20 years with the option to renew. Well, 20 years is up and they are claiming we have to pay MFs for life. They said if we don't pay, they will have the Meridian Collection Agency (part of Interval International) come after us. Does anyone have experience of defaulting on MFs with a Mexican-owned TS? In the data provided in this string, I don't see anything about default experience with a foreign time share company.
Keep that contract handy "Our contract was for 20 years with the option to renew". Dont take any calls, dont answer any letters. Run silent Run deep on them. It costs them nothing to bluff you into submission. It will cost them alot to learn they have no real standing, but likely they already know that and are hoping you dont.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We too have what we call arrestment of wages here in the UK but if, like us, you are not earning because you are retired or on state benefits, they come and take your TV, computer, mobile phones etc., anything that can be sold on.
Wow! We watched an old series called LoveJoy and wondered if it was true when the IRS showed up at his place and took his belongings. Until you posted, we had no idea that in the UK, that is indeed what is done. Thank you for sharing.

Robin4

Reaction score
Wow! We watched an old series called LoveJoy and wondered if it was true when the IRS showed up at his place and took his belongings. Until you posted, we had no idea that in the UK, that is indeed what is done. Thank you for sharing.
Oh yes it is true that they can, and do, do this. You will appreciate why we have been concerend. However, the fab advice that we have received from other, more experienced people here on TUG has been reassuring. Thank you.

FlowMan

Reaction score
Thank you for commenting on my query. The scary stories that unscrupulous TS assistance stories tell you are, well, just that, scary! I had been advised that it was likely that TS resort would appoint a debt collection agency here in the UK to pursue us and we would likely have bailiffs visiting us and removing our furniture from our home. Whilst a drop in credit rating is of no concern to me, the thought of my home being ransacked was a whole other matter!
It is so difficult to find someone who can advise us here in the UK hence turning to TUG and all the helpful people who contribute on the site. It is reassuring to know that there are people willing to share their knowledge and experience and I thank you for that.

If you choose to not consult an attorney and do something on your own it's your right. If you choose to stop paying because you choose to do so you are perfectly entitled to do so.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If they came to your home, I would be filming the entire episode on my phone and would send to the news/social media. Not a good look for a timeshare brand. "Hey buy a timeshare and they will ransack your home." I believe between the poor optics/cost to their brand and the cost of international lawyers, the odds are low for a U.K. citizen. Don't the constables have better things to do?

If only MF or less than $10k then I would wager that the view is not worth the hike for them. Much easier to use their existing processes to foreclose in the USA and write off the loss.

Last edited:

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone stopped paying the maintenance fees on an Australian timeshare? If so, what happened?
I stopped paying MF on Mansfield resort in Australia. I stopped a few years ago. They keep sending me annual reports, and threatening to report me once a year or so, but nothing has happened.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Updated stats
TS defaults w credit drops: 25 out of 61
TS defaults w collections: 6 out of 61
TS defaults w liens: 2 out of 61
MF defaults w credit drop: 6 out of 33
Mortgage defaults w credit drops: 18 out of 28
Canadians default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 10
Intls (inc. Canadians) default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 11.
US defaults on intl TS w credit drops: 0 out of 1
Wyndham defaults w credit drops: 4 (3 loans, 1 MF) out of 9 (6 loans, 3 MF)
Sheraton defaults w credit drops: 2 out of 2 (1 loan, 1 MF)
VV defaults w credit drops: 1 (loan) out of 6 (2 loan, 4 MF)
Diamond defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 3 (all 3 MF)
Silverleaf defaults w credit drops: 2 out of 2 (both loans)
BG defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 2 (both loans)
HIVC defaults w credit drops: 4 out of 5 (all 5 loans)
Westgate defaults w credit drops: 0 out of 2 (both loans)
Marriott defaults w credit drops: 0 out of 2 (both MF)
Hilton defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 2 (both loans)
WorldMark default w credit drops: 1 out of 1 (loan)
independent/other: 6 (1 MF, 5 loans) out of 19 (6 loans, 13 MF)
undisclosed: 5

Kathystovall

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Peublo Bonito Sunset
We have a timeshare in Mexico owned by a Mexican company. Our contract was for 20 years with the option to renew. Well, 20 years is up and they are claiming we have to pay MFs for life. They said if we don't pay, they will have the Meridian Collection Agency (part of Interval International) come after us. Does anyone have experience of defaulting on MFs with a Mexican-owned TS? In the data provided in this string, I don't see anything about default experience with a foreign time share company.
Same thing happened to us. Contract for 20 years and now they say life. Have you found anything out?

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I stopped paying MF on Mansfield resort in Australia. I stopped a few years ago. They keep sending me annual reports, and threatening to report me once a year or so, but nothing has happened.
Sandy, Thank You for the info.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Three more data points on MF DRI defaults. @Fried_shrimp should find interesting.

Attachments

• B35BFF91-6833-4FC2-BF5E-9A29D3B01041.jpeg
    B35BFF91-6833-4FC2-BF5E-9A29D3B01041.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 5BD97C5A-4AB3-40D9-9C4E-A1151B5164BA.jpeg
    5BD97C5A-4AB3-40D9-9C4E-A1151B5164BA.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 17006CB4-2181-4466-9DA9-5AE312428D61.jpeg
    17006CB4-2181-4466-9DA9-5AE312428D61.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 84

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Updated stats (I miscounted sometimes and corrected now):
TS defaults w credit drops: 23 out of 64
TS defaults w collections: 6 out of 64
TS defaults w liens: 2 out of 64
MF defaults w credit drop: 5 out of 36
Mortgage defaults w credit drops: 18 out of 28
Canadians default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 10
Intls (inc. Canadians) default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 11.
US defaults on intl TS w credit drops: 0 out of 1
Diamond defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 6 (all 6 MF)
Westgate defaults w credit drops: 0 out of 2 (both loans)
Marriott defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 2 (both MF)
independent/other: 6 (1 MF, 5 loans) out of 19 (6 loans, 13 MF)
undisclosed: 5

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Isn't this all hearsay?
One reported her own DRI MF default. For one other friend, two separate people actually tagged that MF-defaulting mutual friend in a FB post. One is admittedly hearsay.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear but I think the first one meant it was repo'ed because hers "wasn't" fully paid off.

Thank you for that information.
I will bet it was, and all they were not paying was the maintenance. If tehy think they canget you to pay up, they are going to let you sit on it, its not like they dont have others too sell.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Five new data points! Will post updated stats.

Attachments

• 06FE8450-1C37-499B-8D25-C3707B279CB8.jpeg
    06FE8450-1C37-499B-8D25-C3707B279CB8.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 78
  • C0D9B93A-259C-425B-B199-630D5DB6FA7B.jpeg
    C0D9B93A-259C-425B-B199-630D5DB6FA7B.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 8A9268A2-85AE-4FB7-AFDB-AF666097D96C.jpeg
    8A9268A2-85AE-4FB7-AFDB-AF666097D96C.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 68
  • A2F360C7-54A7-41E4-90C3-EE6114EFB928.jpeg
    A2F360C7-54A7-41E4-90C3-EE6114EFB928.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 5EFD6ED4-6809-44A8-96BD-8C6659CDDFD0.jpeg
    5EFD6ED4-6809-44A8-96BD-8C6659CDDFD0.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 79

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TS defaults w credit drops: 25 out of 69
TS defaults w collections: 6 out of 69
TS defaults w liens: 2 out of 69
MF defaults w credit drop: 5 out of 38
Mortgage defaults w credit drops: 20 out of 31
Canadians default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 11
Intls (inc. Canadians) default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 12
US defaults on intl TS w credit drops: 1 (MX) out of 2
Diamond defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 6 (all 6 MF)
Westgate defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 3 (all loans)
independent/other: 7 (1 MF, 6 loans) out of 20 (7 loans, 14 MF)
undisclosed: 7

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seven (7) more data points! Will post updated stats.

Attachments

• 12D95AED-B01A-4242-8932-C6C72F5F49FB.jpeg
    12D95AED-B01A-4242-8932-C6C72F5F49FB.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 50E6277F-75D9-4533-97A3-94A1DD63B9A3.jpeg
    50E6277F-75D9-4533-97A3-94A1DD63B9A3.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 01355BC7-58F5-4AB3-A027-6D67F97F5FBE.jpeg
    01355BC7-58F5-4AB3-A027-6D67F97F5FBE.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
  • FB4F878C-7EC1-4C69-BD4D-68D659DEADEB.jpeg
    FB4F878C-7EC1-4C69-BD4D-68D659DEADEB.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 60
  • A9B640B1-6E3B-4A6E-A940-49FE1DD6875C.jpeg
    A9B640B1-6E3B-4A6E-A940-49FE1DD6875C.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 7BC4ABA7-7066-4419-8E5C-4FCFA93F4F17.jpeg
    7BC4ABA7-7066-4419-8E5C-4FCFA93F4F17.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CD2B8849-39DC-4FE3-9846-140AF5E00E79.jpeg
    CD2B8849-39DC-4FE3-9846-140AF5E00E79.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 62

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TS defaults w credit drops: 30 out of 76
TS defaults w collections: 8 out of 76
TS defaults w liens: 2 out of 76
MF defaults w credit drop: 6 out of 41
Mortgage defaults w credit drops: 24 out of 35
Canadians default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 11
Intls (inc. Canadians) default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 12
US defaults on intl TS w credit drops: 1 (MX) out of 4 (3 MX, 1 SA)
Diamond defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 7 (all 7 MF)
Westgate defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 3 (all loans)
Hilton defaults w credit drops: 2 out of 3 (all loans)
independent/other: 7 (1 MF, 6 loans) out of 20 (7 loans, 14 MF)
undisclosed: 9

Status
Not open for further replies.