• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare deed never recorded.

JILLYFISHH

Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,
We have had a timeshare for about 20 years now. Always paid on time and enjoyed exchanges. We decided that we would like to give it back to the resort. It turns out that the deed was never recorded. The original owners were hacks. We have paid fees through the end of 2021. The board is asking us to pay $350 for legal fees to produce a release.
Is it unreasonable to think that we have already prepaid this years fees and that should be enough?
Also, what documentation should I expect to show that we are released from obligation? (Do we really have any obligation?)

Thank you in advance!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If the deed isn't in your name, you are scott free. If you aren't the owner - you owe them nothing. Which begs the questions - why was the resort sending you MF bills all these years, if they didn't have you as the owner of records? Smells fishy!

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Deed has to be recorded to legally represent your ownership...

I'd be inclined to pay the $350 to get rid of the Week. Personally I'd be happy with a contract signed by you and a Representative of the TimeShare's Board and a copy of your check with their endorsement on the back. Although I'm a little loosey goosey with this stuff I have bought and sold about 50 TS Weeks and never had a problem...

George

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Denise, I think the deed was drawn up on our name, but it was never recorded.

A deed that is written up, but not recorded is just a piece of paper. Unless the deed is recorded with the county and the resort, it's meaningless. What resort is this?

JILLYFISHH

Reaction score
The resort is Edgewater Beach in Dennisport, MA. We bought when it was still under construction. The developer did not knw what they were doing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK - I did not realize you bought from the developer. "Original Owners" sounds like you acquired it on the resale market.
-How did you find out it's not recorded - did the resort ownership tell you that?
-Did you verify that with the local county recorder's office or whoever is the governmental keeper of the deeds?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
A deed that is written up, but not recorded is just a piece of paper. Unless the deed is recorded with the county and the resort, it's meaningless.

Is there any law that says a Deed must be recorded in a timely manner? If not, what is to stop the Resort from recording it now. If they can, the fact that it is unrecorded is meaningless making it more than just a piece of paper...

George

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This situation is a bit complicated, as is the entire ugly history of this particular resort on Cape Cod. A Google search (or even a TUG search) would easily reveal more than you would likely even care to digest (...I recommend having some antacids nearby).

George has some valid points above. The fact that a lawful deed was once duly executed (even if not subsequently recorded) coupled with the fact that the OP has been fully utilizing all benefits of ownership there (such as "exchanging") for several decades now certainly precludes suddenly claiming with any real basis or credibility (20 years later) that "I am not actually the owner". :rolleyes:

I am not providing legal analysis and / or legal advice here, but my personal opinion is that paying $350 to bid a permanent and conclusive farewell to that particular Cape Cod mess would be $350 well spent. It would most likely cost that much to "deedback" (with maintenance fees still required to be current) whether or not a valid, executed deed was properly recorded "way back when".

Just my $0.02 worth, acknowledging that the $350 is not coming out of my pocket, but I still suggest evaluating and considering this lawful (and permanent) available "exit" option in terms of its' cost / benefit. Many resorts do not even offer that option.

Last edited: