• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare company is not accepting my credit card - and I don't want it anymore!

Guigo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villas at Summer Bay
[I'm sorry about my English, it's not my native language. And I'm sorry about the long post too]

I am so glad I found this forum. I was getting anxiety crisis about my timeshare. I have read lots of threads about defaulting on your loans, but still I found it would be better to ask about my case.

I am from Brazil. My husband and I have purchased a timeshare with Exploria Resorts in May 2015. Soon we realized it was a really bad idea, but unfortunatelly it wasn't soon enough. As we re-read the contract, we thought that we were doomed and there was nothing we could ever do about it. We were afraid of any consequences so we kept paying.
We even tried to make the best out of it. In 2016 we managed to travel using the points, but it was very bureaucratic. Last year we wanted to travel again but there was no weeks available EVER (even on RCI). It was really frustrating seeing that despite being so expansive we didn't have any "advantages" in booking, and that it was actually more difficult to book a reservation through the points. I lost my job last year so things just got more difficult for us.

Last month, Exploria e-mailed us saying that they are no longer accepting American Express credit cards, and we should provide another way to pay. We do not have another credit card. So I thought this was the moment to try to cancel our contract somehow or even give our timeshare back to them, but they said none of that is possible and we should keep paying our loan and maintenence fees, and try to sell it by ourselves once we are no longer in debt (wich will be only in 2022).

My main concerns are the following:

1) Is defaulting on (stop paying) our loan ($10,000) our best way of getting rid of the timeshare, considering that THEY are the ones that are not accepting our credit card in the first place?

2) On the contract, it says that our loan servicer would not be Summer Bay Partnership, but a company called "Concord Servicing Corporation". If I stop paying, the fact that they assigned the servicing of our mortgage loan to another company means I could have any other legal concerns about that company?

3) There is a slight chance that in the future (next 5 years) I go to the U.S. to study or work. If I default on our loans, will I have problems to live there? The only document I provided was my passaport and my american express credit card.

Once again I apologize for the long post and my grammar mistakes. I hope you guys can help us!

Thank you very much! :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your English is just fine. I'd guess better than any of our Brazilian Portuguese!
Anyway, I have no knowledge of any credit reporting agencies in Brazil, or what agreements they might have across international borders. I think that if it was me, I would stop paying and not turn back. If they have only your Amex card, that's the one they would report on, and your passport won't help them at all. When/if you relocate to the U.S. just get a different credit card (after checking and finding a ding on your credit report. If none, don't worry about it. No one will check your credit for a visit to U.S. Eventually they will foreclose and you'll be free of the timeshare.

Jim