• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timberlodge for Westin Maui KAA trade question

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
We put in a trade request (deposit first, 1BR Timberlodge) for next fall with II for various resorts throughout Hawaii (for a 1BR). Via email this morning (1:11am) we just got a Conf. Cert. for the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villa (KAA). Does anyone have any experience trading into there? I guess one of the main questions would be how we can tell if we would be trading into an ocean vs island view unit.

Thanks for any info. The clock is running.

Steve

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood doesn't work like Marriott for II. Starwood has an internal exchange system, so Starwood exchangers would get preference over II exchangers. Also, Starwood deposites the weeks into II (not the owners) so they don't deposite OV and IV weeks the same way Marriott owners do. With Starwood, II exchangers are at the bottom of the heap and likely to get the least desirable rooms.

Fall is low season, so there is a chance for an "ocean" view, but you won't get a great view.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood doesn't work like Marriott for II. Starwood has an internal exchange system, so Starwood exchangers would get preference over II exchangers. Also, Starwood deposites the weeks into II (not the owners) so they don't deposite OV and IV weeks the same way Marriott owners do. With Starwood, II exchangers are at the bottom of the heap and likely to get the least desirable rooms.

Fall is low season, so there is a chance for an "ocean" view, but you won't get a great view.

Thanks! Do you know if they would know now what view we would have, or would we have to wait until check-in?

Steve

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'd have to wait until check-in. I've heard conflicting reports about whether you get the unit on your II confirmation, so I wouldn't go by that.

I've got an II trade into KAA for December. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to spend the week looking at the parking lot!

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't say what dates you were looking for, but I'm guessing some Marriott weeks will start popping up over the next few months. There will also be more KAA deposites.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You didn't say what dates you were looking for, but I'm guessing some Marriott weeks will start popping up over the next few months. There will also be more KAA deposites.

It is Sat. Sept. 12-19, 2009. And on the confirmation it doesn't state the view type (at least that I can find). I'm just about to call II and find out.

Steve

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
KAA will not give you a view category. Your room will be assigned at check in. We have been 3 times through II exchanges, never in the room listed on the confirmation. Still love the property. Good luck!

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KAA will not give you a view category. Your room will be assigned at check in. We have been 3 times through II exchanges, never in the room listed on the confirmation. Still love the property. Good luck!

I just called II and they indeed confirmed assignment is at the time of arrival. You mention 'never in the room listed on the confirmation', but our confirmation only shows we have a 1BR, no other details are provided.

Thanks

Steve

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds to me like we face too many chances of getting a 'sub-optimal' room at KAA (based on some of the TUG review comments and this thread) so I think I'm going to reject this 'offer' and hope we can get one of the Marriott properities instead. Time is on our side as we are completely flexible as to when and where we go.

Steve

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like we face too many chances of getting a 'sub-optimal' room at KAA...so I think I'm going to reject this 'offer' and hope we can get one of the Marriott properities instead.

Depending on your definition, I'd say the cance of getting a sub-optimal view on an II exchange is close to 100%. We were able to pull a 2br at KAA with a 1br, so this will still be a good trade for us, but I wouldn't recommend WKORV to anyone who needs a good view to be happy.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Depending on your definition, I'd say the cance of getting a sub-optimal view on an II exchange is close to 100%. We were able to pull a 2br at KAA with a 1br, so this will still be a good trade for us, but I wouldn't recommend WKORV to anyone who needs a good view to be happy.

Well, 'good view' certainly is subjective. We don't need (nor would we really expect) an OV, but a view of the parking lot, the Hwy, or plain side of the bldg. next door is what I would define as 'sub-optimal'.

We traded for an Island view at Ko Olina last May and ended up on the 12th floor overlooking the marina and construction of the new bldg. and LOVED the room. I guess it's just a crap shoot...but I do think I would rather do that shooting at a Marriott where I would feel like we have at least a little leverage (instead of being totally at the bottom of the food chain).

sb

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FWIW, last spring I got an II exchange to the Westin and received an OV 6th (top) floor unit...could not have done better. In fact, that was a better unit than I have received in the past using the internal StarOptions exchange. But, there's no guarantee.

I also exchanged for next Sept via II (2 bed for a small 1 bed) and based on the confirmation unit number, I'm in an OV building but on the first floor. I don't care all that much (as long as it's not a parking lot view) since the resort is so good. And, I'll be calling this week to request a high floor (though that won't mean much, if anything).

If you've not been to the Westin before, I'd suggest trying. But, you may be unhappy with your view - so set your expectations correctly ahead of time.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, just so you know, we got a trade confirmation today for a 1BR at Ko Olina (Next Sept. 19th). :banana: It would have been nice to stay at one of the other Marriott 'island' locations, but since we loved KO enough to buy a EOY there we certainly aren't going to complain!!! :whoopie:

Steve

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Well, just so you know, we got a trade confirmation today for a 1BR at Ko Olina (Next Sept. 19th). :banana: It would have been nice to stay at one of the other Marriott 'island' locations, but since we loved KO enough to buy a EOY there we certainly aren't going to complain!!! :whoopie:

Steve

Not to burst your bubble but Ko'Olina has some bad views too. Ask for an Ocean View.. Good luck..

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not to burst your bubble but Ko'Olina has some bad views too. Ask for an Ocean View.. Good luck..

I'm not sure what bubble you think we live in! We were at Ko Olina in June, and are now owners, so are quite aware of the 'potential' for 'bad views'.

The good news is that at least our reservation (per Marriott) is for an Ocean View. In May we had a mtn. view (12th floor) that was 50% ocean view, and we loved it (which in part is why we bought).

Steve

wa.mama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Calberry,

I'm glad you had a great time at Ko Olina last year. The views there, even "mountain view", can be very good. They categorize the view based on what you can see from the door so some mountain view categories, such as on the 12th floor, have beautiful ocean views. Call owner services and put in your request for the 12th floor pool view and you will see the ocean for sure! BTW, have you looked at the Waiohai? We've locked off our Ko Olina and traded into waiohai with the 1 bdrm (on a slow week).

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calberry,

I'm glad you had a great time at Ko Olina last year. The views there, even "mountain view", can be very good. They categorize the view based on what you can see from the door so some mountain view categories, such as on the 12th floor, have beautiful ocean views. Call owner services and put in your request for the 12th floor pool view and you will see the ocean for sure! BTW, have you looked at the Waiohai? We've locked off our Ko Olina and traded into waiohai with the 1 bdrm (on a slow week).

As I said in another post in this theard, we were on the 12th floor, mountain view this past summer and had a great 'mostly' ocean view (including the marina). We would take that same room ANY time. It will be interesting to see what we get next fall since we have an ocean view room reserved instead of a mountain view! (Although they say they don't guarantee you will get the type of room reserved...go figure.)

Steve