• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thyroid Cancer ~ Please Read

gpurtz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife has thyroid cancer. This was just posted by a female member of a listserv to which I subscribe. Please read it.

Subject: Thyroid Cancer warning

On Wednesday, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women,
thyroid cancer. It was a very interesting program and he mentioned that the
increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and
mammograms. He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on you for
your dental x-rays there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped
around your neck. Many dentists don't bother to use it. Also, there is
something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammograms. By
coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but
I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer.
I asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know. You have to ask
for it." Well, if I hadn't seen the show, how would I have known to ask? We
need to pass this on to our daughters, nieces, mothers and all our female
friends and husbands tell your wives !! I just did, now you send it on to
your list. Someone was nice enough to forward this to me. I hope you pass
this on to your friends and family.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
too late for me. 5 people in my subdivision had thyroid cancer this spring and summer. As i previously had breast cancer, I have had a tremendous amount of xrays, never was offered or aware of a thyroid guard. Had the thyroid out this summer, cancer on both sides.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Thanks for this bit of info. I will be having my mammo later this month and will definitely inquire.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
more complicated than that

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/thyroidguard.asp

According to this, important for dental xrays, maybe not best idea for mammos. Maybe wise to decline the every-2-year dental xrays they do now, just cuz (at least mine does). So good to ask questions and discuss.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have my dentist and their staff "trained" to not routinely do x-rays. They want to do them every year when I come in. I've not had any work done on my teeth other than cleaning in 10 years. So now I just "suggest" that once the dentist examines my teeth, if there's something that needs to be x-rayed, we can discuss it then. It's marked in my chart and a polite reminder is all that's needed. I've only had x-rays once in the last six or seven years.

I also make sure it's noted when I settle up my bill.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 friends that have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer in the last year. I am glad to know this information --- thanks for sharing.

I will definitely be asking for the additional protection.

After the nuclear release in Japan, I began taking iodine (I had read that iodine helped protect your thyroid) because I anticipated a trip there, I felt so much better after adding iodine to the supplements that I take that I have continued to take them.

elaine

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my dentist and their staff "trained" to not routinely do x-rays. They want to do them every year when I come in. I've not had any work done on my teeth other than cleaning in 10 years. So now I just "suggest" that once the dentist examines my teeth, if there's something that needs to be x-rayed, we can discuss it then. It's marked in my chart and a polite reminder is all that's needed. I've only had x-rays once in the last six or seven years.

I appreciate you posting this as I've never believed as an adult with most of my back teeth already filled that xrays were necessary.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife has thyroid cancer. This was just posted by a female member of a listserv to which I subscribe. Please read it.

Subject: Thyroid Cancer warning

On Wednesday, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women,
thyroid cancer. It was a very interesting program and he mentioned that the
increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and
mammograms. He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on you for
your dental x-rays there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped
around your neck. Many dentists don't bother to use it. Also, there is
something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammograms. By
coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but
I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer.
I asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know. You have to ask
for it." Well, if I hadn't seen the show, how would I have known to ask? We
need to pass this on to our daughters, nieces, mothers and all our female
friends and husbands tell your wives !! I just did, now you send it on to
your list. Someone was nice enough to forward this to me. I hope you pass
this on to your friends and family.

I am on thyroid for hypo(low) thyroidism as is my 26 year old daughter. Thank you for posting this. I'm sending this and the dental advice noted to my network.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I also wondered about this. I have been really lucky with my teeth and take good care of them, only a couple of fillings and they're in great shape along with my gums. (They don't make much money from my visits.) Some time ago, they had my x-ray schedule set for once very 2 years, but I've noticed the last 2 years it's once a year.

Next time in, I'll suggest we back off. And I like the dentist, so I don't believe he's trying to scam me. But patients need to be involved in these decisions and sometimes it's good to question things.

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you posting this as I've never believed as an adult with most of my back teeth already filled that xrays were necessary.

Decay can start underneath a filling (all it takes is a small crack between the tooth and the filling) and if it is not caught then the tooth may either need a root canal or removal altogether. The only way to see this is via an xray. Similarly, even a tooth which has had a root canal and is covered by a crown can have decay start under the crown requiring a new crown and possibly a redoing of the root canal. The only way that this can be caught in time is via an xray. I speak from first hand experience for both scenarios. Also decay can spread very fast so xrays are required on a regular (whatever interval one picks) basis as long as you have any natural teeth or even just roots with crowns on top.