• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CLOSED: Thread Dedicated to the Upcoming/Anticipated Integration of Vistana & Marriott Ownerships (Marriott Link + Vistana Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
I have two question
1) I have 148,100 annual Westin Nanea Ocean Villa points. Does any know what that will convert to in MVC points?
2) Has any one received any official documentation about the combined reservation system. It sound like it less then six weeks away from the hard launch. We haven’t been to a resort recently. Will in the fall

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
No signage about a hard launch. The soft launch was the signage.

I misinterpreted what you said earlier. I thought you said that the reason people were predicting a hard launch in March was because the signage said so. But I think you meant that the signage showed up in March.

My comment earlier was that I believe the hard launch will be in June because the soft launch signage is up and the sales offices are saying it is happening in June. We are hearing the same thing from different offices as well.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I have two question
1) I have 148,100 annual Westin Nanea Ocean Villa points. Does any know what that will convert to in MVC points?
2) Has any one received any official documentation about the combined reservation system. It sound like it less then six weeks away from the hard launch. We haven’t been to a resort recently. Will in the fall

According to post 263, the conversion ratio is 23:1, so should be around 6400 DC points. That will get you a full week or more in a 2BR in high season in most places outside of Maui.

I suspect there will no be any official documentation until the hard launch of the program, presumably later this summer. Till then it will likely be all speculation and rumors.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just got an invite to an “informational seminar” about the upcoming changes to Sheraton vis a vis the merger with Marriott in downtown Chicago June 10. It was addressed to my husband and came from Sheraton Vacation club. Which is interesting considering that we own more Westin units than Sheraton ones. I would go just to see what the spin is, but we are moving out of state next week. Did any other Chicagoan’s get a letter like this? Maybe the hard launch is June 10?

CVC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanae, WVC
Tuscany HGVC
Blvd VegasHGVC
I have two question
The conversion for Nanae, we have been told, is based on if you’re ocean front or resort view. It was originally 23:1 for both but because of the disparity in price between the 2 ownerships, we were told it was tweaked (since post #263) to resort view being 23:36, which is what we own. I will wait to see what the official information is when it’s launched but this is what we were told recently.

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The conversion for Nanae, we have been told, is based on if you’re ocean front or resort view. It was originally 23:1 for both but because of the disparity in price between the 2 ownerships, we were told it was tweaked (since post #263) to resort view being 23:36, which is what we own. I will wait to see what the official information is when it’s launched but this is what we were told recently.

Thanks for the information CVC. Have a different exchange rate for resort and Ocean view seem strange to me, when there is already a difference built into the point structure between Resort and Ocean view. It's kind of double dipping. I've tried reaching out to our sales person at Nanea several times via phone and email, without ever receiving a return correspondence. So I hope their some sort of communication explaining the fine details. Thanks

DPR

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Willows
Flex
New to the forum…
We received an email to set up a call with Vistana to review our portfolio prior to the merger. They say our portfolio was flagged for special review and that we have two option to decide on. They wouldn’t say what the options are. The call is set for today. Anyone else get this? Hope they have answers and not trying to sell us more.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
New to the forum…
We received an email to set up a call with Vistana to review our portfolio prior to the merger. They say our portfolio was flagged for special review and that we have two option to decide on. They wouldn’t say what the options are. The call is set for today. Anyone else get this? Hope they have answers and not trying to sell us more.
They will try to sell you more; that's why they set up the call.

The "answer" we all want -- and which they will not give to you either -- is exactly how the two programs will integrate (who qualifies; who gets what; what are the conversion rates). Those are things they have not put in writing to date.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to the forum…
The two options will be
1) expensive
2) even more expensive.

1) is better than 2) and they will tell you why

DPR

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Willows
Flex
Here is my summary from today's call with the Vistana Sales Exec. To recap, they said our portfolio was "flagged for review" prior to the upcoming integration. The sales person did not know why it was flagged, just that he was given a list of names to contact and provide information to. Our call lasted an hour.
The bottom line, we own a Flex (west coast incl HI) and a 2 bdm at Desert Willows for a total of 162,000 options. This coverts to 6,535 MCV points. Marriott has their properties, cruises, airlines, etc all in a "trust" that provide owners access and ability to reserve. To gain this access, you must be at "Executive" level or above which means you must have 7,000 or more points at the time of conversion which occurs in June or July of this year. We can elect to do nothing or purchase an additional 44,000 options to gain that level, resulting in 7,800 points. If we do nothing, then nothing changes and we can continue to use our options as before. If we don't purchase now, then when conversion occurs, we won't have access to the additional Marriott properties (except as we currently do). I am afraid, though, that the reverse is true, that all the Marriott owners will have access to the Westin properties and there will be greater competition for availability. I hope this helps understand what is being said.

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi DPR,

I know don't shoot the messenger............... When you state "If we don't purchase now, then when conversion occurs, we won't have access to the additional Marriott properties (except as we currently do)". Do you think that means you won't have access to the higher point level properties? Due you your conversion point level not be adequate? Or because you didn't participate in purchasing the additional point level?

sharr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
So there's a hard cutoff value of (converted) points to have "crossover" MVC access, and yet virtually no one knows their true conversion value since it's not published anywhere, but when or if we ever learn the conversion values, it will be too late unless we happen to be over 7000? And you were flagged because you were so close to that threshold they wanted to do you a favor and let you know you have a great opportunity to give them more money.

I'm almost certain that's not all true; maybe parts of it are? But without knowing which parts we don't really know any more. Like they're really going to not take the money from people who want to elevate past 7000 points once the calendar hits August? No way. And all those people who bought say 81k/148k flex options direct from vistana with the promise of having access to MVC are going to be told 'sorry! not quite enough DP to play!'

The one common theme in all the sales pitches we've heard from is "you need just a little bit extra ($10k, 1000DP, get to 7000, flex options) to unlock everything, and it has to be in the next 60 days or it all goes away" which is really no different than normal but now they have this carrot to dangle with the new system. This soft launch is nothing more than a chance for their sales team to increase their commissions and MVW to boost profits. I think we've been giving them too much credit assuming they are using this time to adjust conversions and learn the system and test any new technology etc etc. I do believe they delayed the soft launch to accomplish some of those things but I bet it's been ready to launch fully since right around then but they know they can kill it with sales while people are the most confused and they hold all the information (correct or not).

Didn't plan to get flustered after another mundane report of a sales call but the lack of anything concrete after 2 months is frustrating and the fact that they've given their sales teams the green light to basically say anything, which benefits the slimiest people with the least morals the most is also just disappointing. I would advise no one to buy anything from either company until they are willing to put real publicly-available information out. The whole timeshare sales game relies on placing extreme urgency on something that should be one of the least urgent purchases any of us make.

DPR

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Willows
Flex
Hi DPR,

I know don't shoot the messenger............... When you state "If we don't purchase now, then when conversion occurs, we won't have access to the additional Marriott properties (except as we currently do)". Do you think that means you won't have access to the higher point level properties? Due you your conversion point level not be adequate? Or because you didn't participate in purchasing the additional point level?

He said we needed to be an "Executive" level (7000 pts) or higher to use the MVC properties. We can buy additional points later but they would be more $$$

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
The bottom line, we own a Flex (west coast incl HI) and a 2 bdm at Desert Willows for a total of 162,000 options. This coverts to 6,535 MCV points. Marriott has their properties, cruises, airlines, etc all in a "trust" that provide owners access and ability to reserve. To gain this access, you must be at "Executive" level or above which means you must have 7,000 or more points at the time of conversion which occurs in June or July of this year.

He said we needed to be an "Executive" level (7000 pts) or higher to use the MVC properties. We can buy additional points later but they would be more $$$

Given the angle the salesperson took, it sounds like your ownership is all developer-purchased? No talk about retro and qualifying resale purchases? If so, what they said is most likely all nonsense intended to create a sense of urgency. If you bought from the developer you will most likely gain access no matter what. You will be at the "Select" level. The difference between "Select" and "Executive" is actually material enough that it would be worthwhile to consider adding points, but you can always buy 1000 resale points later on for about $6000 all-in cost.

"Executive" used to be 6500 points. For many years we resisted enrolling our pre-2010 resale weeks but when that threshold went to 7000 we did it so we would get grandfathered at Executive at the 6500 level.

Here is the difference in Elite levels:

1652735066171.png

DPR

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Willows
Flex
So there's a hard cutoff value of (converted) points to have "crossover" MVC access, and yet virtually no one knows their true conversion value since it's not published anywhere, but when or if we ever learn the conversion values, it will be too late unless we happen to be over 7000? And you were flagged because you were so close to that threshold they wanted to do you a favor and let you know you have a great opportunity to give them more money.

I'm almost certain that's not all true; maybe parts of it are? But without knowing which parts we don't really know any more. Like they're really going to not take the money from people who want to elevate past 7000 points once the calendar hits August? No way. And all those people who bought say 81k/148k flex options direct from vistana with the promise of having access to MVC are going to be told 'sorry! not quite enough DP to play!'

The one common theme in all the sales pitches we've heard from is "you need just a little bit extra ($10k, 1000DP, get to 7000, flex options) to unlock everything, and it has to be in the next 60 days or it all goes away" which is really no different than normal but now they have this carrot to dangle with the new system. This soft launch is nothing more than a chance for their sales team to increase their commissions and MVW to boost profits. I think we've been giving them too much credit assuming they are using this time to adjust conversions and learn the system and test any new technology etc etc. I do believe they delayed the soft launch to accomplish some of those things but I bet it's been ready to launch fully since right around then but they know they can kill it with sales while people are the most confused and they hold all the information (correct or not).

Didn't plan to get flustered after another mundane report of a sales call but the lack of anything concrete after 2 months is frustrating and the fact that they've given their sales teams the green light to basically say anything, which benefits the slimiest people with the least morals the most is also just disappointing. I would advise no one to buy anything from either company until they are willing to put real publicly-available information out. The whole timeshare sales game relies on placing extreme urgency on something that should be one of the least urgent purchases any of us make.

He did say that we had to buy more options, prior to the integration date, but then said they would always accept our money at any time....of course, I thought. But he was adamant that without the Executive or higher level (7000 pts) then we would not have access to MVC properties. I asked so.... with my 6,535 pts (162,000 opt), I only get access to the current Vistana properties. He confirmed this. So what we were earlier told about getting access, he said we wouldn't. And I asked him many ways to be sure I understand clearly. This does not mean things will change....

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

Aren't you 3* elite with 162K options from flex and WDW? The initial info at soft launch was that Vistana elite levels would be grandfathered to MVC, e.g. 3* to Executive.
Of course nothing in writing yet, and Marriott could change the grandfathering levels.

DPR

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Willows
Flex
Aren't you 3* elite with 162K options from flex and WDW? The initial info at soft launch was that Vistana elite levels would be grandfathered to MVC, e.g. 3* to Executive.
Of course nothing in writing yet, and Marriott could change the grandfathering levels.

yes we are but no mention of being grandfathered. maybe they will??? This guy said he is being dribbled info each week so perhaps they are trying things out as a sounding board. I didn't panic and buy. I want to see how things pan out. But I did tell him, it was my expectation when I bought, that we would have access to MVC.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Here is my summary from today's call with the Vistana Sales Exec. To recap, they said our portfolio was "flagged for review" prior to the upcoming integration. The sales person did not know why it was flagged, just that he was given a list of names to contact and provide information to. Our call lasted an hour.
The bottom line, we own a Flex (west coast incl HI) and a 2 bdm at Desert Willows for a total of 162,000 options. This coverts to 6,535 MCV points. Marriott has their properties, cruises, airlines, etc all in a "trust" that provide owners access and ability to reserve. To gain this access, you must be at "Executive" level or above which means you must have 7,000 or more points at the time of conversion which occurs in June or July of this year. We can elect to do nothing or purchase an additional 44,000 options to gain that level, resulting in 7,800 points. If we do nothing, then nothing changes and we can continue to use our options as before. If we don't purchase now, then when conversion occurs, we won't have access to the additional Marriott properties (except as we currently do). I am afraid, though, that the reverse is true, that all the Marriott owners will have access to the Westin properties and there will be greater competition for availability. I hope this helps understand what is being said.
I call bullshit on most of what you were told.

They seem to be telling everyone “you need to buy a little more if you want to be able to access the Marriott properties.”

I own deeded weeks plus Flex which total about 485,000 StarOptions annually (mostly in Maui) and they fed me the same line, that I wouldn’t be able to access the new program unless I added just a little more to my portfolio. They couldn’t tell me exactly how many DPs my current ownership would net me, but it’s certainly more than double what yours will give you, and still, that won’t be sufficient unless I buy a little more.

They won’t put any of this in writing and I think it’s all just “say whatever you need to say to get the owners to give us more money.”

Until everything is on paper and cast in concrete, I wouldn’t even consider giving them more. When you later find out that it was all lies, your sales person will be long gone or won't return your calls.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
yes we are but no mention of being grandfathered. maybe they will??? This guy said he is being dribbled info each week so perhaps they are trying things out as a sounding board. I didn't panic and buy. I want to see how things pan out. But I did tell him, it was my expectation when I bought, that we would have access to MVC.
I'm not surprised they've not mentioned grandfathering of elite levels. That would take the wind out of their sales ( pun intended). Why would anyone buy more to get to a MVC level if they could get it for free? I am 3*, but pretty certain my units won't convert to anywhere near the minimum for Executive level. Let's just wait and see.

I hope Marriott announces final integration policies by end of June, as I have a little trip planned in July. Anyone know a "reasonable" salesperson at SMV ( Mountain Vista)? Please PM me. Thx.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Based on this thread and the 2 salespeople from different offices telling me the same thing, the only think I think I know for sure is the hard launch will happen in June and my Vistana week will be worth 8325 DPs.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Based on this thread and the 2 salespeople from different offices telling me the same thing, the only think I think I know for sure is the hard launch will happen in June and my Vistana week will be worth 8325 DPs.

... and that they think you absolutely need to buy something....

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These may sound like crazy questions but here goes. What is Vistana currently? Is it simply a booking engine right now? Was it ever a stand alone company? Where does the inventory that Vistana buys back currently go? Does it turn into Flex points or something else?

I have reasons to ask these questions even though they sound pretty dumb. I got some confusing information from someone that threw everything that I thought I knew into a loop. I think/thought I knew the answers to the above questions but would like to clarify with long term Vistana owners.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
These may sound like crazy questions but here goes. What is Vistana currently? Is it simply a booking engine right now? Was it ever a stand alone company? Where does the inventory that Vistana buys back currently go? Does it turn into Flex points or something else?

I have reasons to ask these questions even though they sound pretty dumb. I got some confusing information from someone that threw everything that I thought I knew into a loop. I think/thought I knew the answers to the above questions but would like to clarify with long term Vistana owners.

First off, I doubt anyone outside of Marriott completely knows the answer to these questions.

Vistana is currently the same as it ever was. It is a publicly traded stand alone company. It's possible that Vistana could go away and we will become MVC properties. It's also possible, Vistana will remain a publicly traded company and there will be a new club allowing trading between MVC and Vistana. I tend to think it will stay a separate company at least in the short term because I have heard so very many times that nothing will change within Vistana. Still, we won't know for sure until the change happens. Marriott has announced that they will sell a product in the future that includes Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin. This makes me think there might be a full merger down the road.

I own at Lagunamar. At the end of last year, Vistana (the developer) owned 5009 weeks. I asked the sales lady about that and she claimed that those get dropped into Staroptions at 8 months. I personally think that only weeks that they can't rent through bonvoy will drop at 8 months. She also said that all of these weeks will get dumped in Aventuras. I think they will only go into aventuras when they are needed due to sales of whatever the new product becomes. It's probably something we will never know for sure. The weeks are owned by Vistana and used as they see fit, which is probably more complicated than you'd think.

Screenshot_20220429-163353_Kindle.jpgScreenshot_20220406-144055_Kindle~2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.