• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CLOSED: Thread Dedicated to the Upcoming/Anticipated Integration of Vistana & Marriott Ownerships (Marriott Link + Vistana Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Recital F looks like it would make mandatory resale owners members of the MVCD exchange.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Recital F looks like it would make mandatory resale owners members of the MVCD exchange.
But if you read it that way, all VSN-eligible resales aka mandatory in the future would be part of the exchange as well because they didn't put any date in there as a criteria. That seems highly unlikely given Marriott's history with resales after 2010/DC creation.

Also membership in the MVC Exchange doesn't necessarily mean that every VOI that member owns will be eligible to participate in Abound. They could still make the distinction between qualified and unqualified resales in their Master agreement to come. This provision may actually have more to do with synching up the club dues between the programs so that Abound participants only have to pay one fee per year, not one each to VSN and MVCD. So many details left out!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It also indicates "one or more parties".

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
It also indicates "one or more parties".
Near the top, the document defines "the Parties" as those people on the signature pages so doesn't involve any owners directly in that consent process.

It’s outside of my area of expertise and I’m not licensed to practice law in Florida, but as a layman I would read the portion of Recital F for consent of the defined Parties being satisfied by Recital G and the expression of consent in item 2 executed by the defined Parties in the document. There’s no doubt more to it as far as details are concerned based on the master affiliation agreement, but this reads to me as though VSN members are being treated on par with existing MVCD members.

It will be interesting to see the master affiliation agreement and whether they’ve come up with a way to keep mandatory resale owners out for purchases after the effective date or if they’ll just impose high garbage fees on transfers similar to what I’ve read about trust points. It’s not too surprising that the sales folks haven’t shared any details if they have them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It’s outside of my area of expertise and I’m not licensed to practice law in Florida, but as a layman I would read the portion of Recital F for consent of the defined Parties being satisfied by Recital G and the expression of consent in item 2 executed by the defined Parties in the document. There’s no doubt more to it as far as details are concerned based on the master affiliation agreement, but this reads to me as though VSN members are being treated on par with existing MVCD members.

It will be interesting to see the master affiliation agreement and whether they’ve come up with a way to keep mandatory resale owners out for purchases after the effective date or if they’ll just impose high garbage fees on transfers similar to what I’ve read about trust points. It’s not too surprising that the sales folks haven’t shared any details if they have them.
I am not sure they can pile on garbage fees to weeks based transfers. I think the $25 fee is baked into most CC&R documents for the resort.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I believe they want the Vistana inventory so additional junk fees would deter owners away.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Apologies if I missed it in the 120+ pages, but has there been any info re us that use Home Options (Nanea for me, presumably similar to Flex) on if we would need to deposit a whole week, or if we would be able to do partial weeks, equivelent of smaller units, etc?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Apologies if I missed it in the 120+ pages, but has there been any info re us that use Home Options (Nanea for me, presumably similar to Flex) on if we would need to deposit a whole week, or if we would be able to do partial weeks, equivalent of smaller units, etc?
Nothing 100% confirmed, but we suspect you would have to elect Abound points for the entire VOI. You don't own a week with HomeOptions. Another good reason to have multiple small contracts instead of one large one.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Apologies if I missed it in the 120+ pages, but has there been any info re us that use Home Options (Nanea for me, presumably similar to Flex) on if we would need to deposit a whole week, or if we would be able to do partial weeks, equivelent of smaller units, etc?
Our understanding is that the full VOI must be deposited. You can’t do a partial.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our understanding is that the full VOI must be deposited. You can’t do a partial.
This is correct, other than partial SOs because those are points packages.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
From a reliable source, 8/9 was the magic date to be in network/eligible to participate in Abound. Requals will follow Marriott rules - min $40K new money.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mandatory VOIs that were not requalified before 8/9 are not Abound eligible. They stay mandatory in the Vistana “program” (i.e., same use as per Abound).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
VSN Elite is no more. New Abound system: 3* Executive, 4* = Presidential, 5* = Chairman. No plans for a higher tier even if someone owns way more than 15K Abound Club Points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
From a reliable source,
I wonder what the definition of a "reliable source" is? At this point I don't think any one source is more reliable than any other, especially when it comes from sales. They all seem to have their own interpretation of any training they may or may not have taken.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mandatory VOIs that were not requalified before 8/9 are not Abound eligible. They stay mandatory in the Vistana “program” (i.e., same use as per Abound).
All that you are saying fits with the Marriott philosophy on resales and make sense. The challenge is we've heard many competing versions from different sources so I think all of us are jaded enough by it to say until it's in writing and the thing is launched, we can't rely on any of it

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
All that you are saying fits with the Marriott philosophy on resales and make sense. The challenge is we've heard many competing versions from different sources so I think all of us are jaded to say until it's in writing and the thing is launched, we can't rely on any of it
Not really. When Marriott rolled out the DC program in 2010, they allowed resales to enroll. They only have a negative view toward resales bought after program implementation.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the definition of a "reliable source" is? At this point I don't think any one source is more reliable than any other, especially when it comes from sales. They all seem to have their own interpretation of any training they may or may not have taken.
Direct Sales. I trust the source.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
All that you are saying fits with the Marriott philosophy on resales and make sense. The challenge is we've heard many competing versions from different sources so I think all of us are jaded enough by it to say until it's in writing and the thing is launched, we can't rely on any of it
Agreed. Time will tell.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Direct Sales. I trust the source.
Fair enough, but I do find it interesting that everyone trusts their source but these different sources seem to provide conflicting information. One person's misinformed source isn't necessarily any better than that of another. The statement of "reliable source" doesn't make it any more reliable to anyone else here. Not attacking you or the source, just pointing out that we can't really rely on anything until we see it in writing and distributed on the grand scale.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really. When Marriott rolled out the DC program in 2010, they allowed resales to enroll. They only have a negative view toward resales bought after program implementation.
But, the magic 6/10/2010 date (or whatever that is exactly) is still enforced for the most part. There are workarounds but for the most part you have to pay $s…

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but I do find it interesting that everyone trusts their source but these different sources seem to provide conflicting information. One person's misinformed source isn't necessarily any better than that of another. The statement of "reliable source" doesn't make it any more reliable to anyone else here. Not attacking you or the source, just pointing out that we can't really rely on anything until we see it in writing and distributed on the grand scale.
Agreed. The source did say things are not final but it looked like what was shared was holding.

I will check the Abound values I got for some of my units (not all have values available now) and let you know if the tracker needs to be updated,

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But, the magic 6/10/2010 date (or whatever that is exactly) is still enforced for the most part. There are workarounds but for the most part you have to pay $s…
But there are different dates. 6/20/2010 isn't the only one. European weeks have a date that is set to when they started to allow those owners to enroll and the same is true for Phuket owners. Phuket owners have a date in 2016. So they could simply do something similar when brining in Vistana.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But that was a different situation. They were trying to shift all the weeks into a trust. Vistana already has a trust and exchange system in place. Marriott's attitude towards resales in general has been to pony up large cash or don't participate. People seem to be banking on the fact that Marriott will be desperate for certain Vistana inventory so they will allow them into Abound. To me again the current situation doesn't align with the past. We'll find out soon enough which side of the fence they come down on.

Status
Not open for further replies.