• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CLOSED: Thread Dedicated to the Upcoming/Anticipated Integration of Vistana & Marriott Ownerships (Marriott Link + Vistana Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcar1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistanta 4*
I’ve rented in redweek. I’m just looking for other places to advertise.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Sorry. Only rent on RedWeek (since 2008?)
I have excellent success with them for our extra weeks, but only have 2-3 depending if we use the SOs for exchanging (Maui).
Already rented 2023 usage.

TUG has a rental page. Never worked for me.

Price fairly (true FMV)
Describe correctly - many don’t.

I use RedWeek verify services now because it gives the person renting more confidence. IMO YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samcar1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistanta 4*
Sorry. Only rent on RedWeek (since 2008?)
I have excellent success with them for our extra weeks, but only have 2-3 depending if we use the SOs for exchanging (Maui).
Already rented 2023 usage.

TUG has a rental page. Never worked for me.

Price fairly (true FMV)
Describe correctly - many don’t.

I use RedWeek verify services now because it gives the person renting more confidence. IMO YMMV

yes it’s worked for me. I’ll just wait and post on tug too. Thank you

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Some others use Airbnb or Go-Koala. They charge nothing upfront but take a higher commission on the back end. THe good thing there is that if it doesn't rent, you aren't out any money like you would be on a listing fee with Redweek.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Did Redweek just change their policy on reporting rental income to the IRS? They said it was down to a recent change in the thresholds allowed. Due to the language barrier between our two nations I'll claim not to understand it all if the IRS comes after me for past years ;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IRS requires all these vendors, Redweek, Paypal, etc to report amount exceeding $600 over a calendar year. I don't know what you meant by Redweek changing their policy.

tamu_bu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Basic MVC Points question from one who only owns Vistana. If I elect to convert to VC points am I required to reserve days as they are defined in their chart. For example (Frenchman's Reef attached) do I have to reserve a full week, Fri-Sat, or Sun-Thu? Or can I reserve day a 6 day Sun-Fri at the full week total less the Sat. points?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-204305_PDF Reader - Hi Read.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-204305_PDF Reader - Hi Read.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 38

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Basic MVC Points question from one who only owns Vistana. If I elect to convert to VC points am I required to reserve days as they are defined in their chart. For example (Frenchman's Reef attached) do I have to reserve a full week, Fri-Sat, or Sun-Thu? Or can I reserve day a 6 day Sun-Fri at the full week total less the Sat. points?
YOu can reserve as many or as few nights as you want based on the nightly points rate provided in the chart.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Did Redweek just change their policy on reporting rental income to the IRS? They said it was down to a recent change in the thresholds allowed. Due to the language barrier between our two nations I'll claim not to understand it all if the IRS comes after me for past years ;)
The change primarily has to do with digital wallet transactions or basically cash apps. There was always a $600 threshold requirement for rental income reporting. However none of the cash apps had this requirement because the digital wallet reporting threshold was $20,000 a year for any type of income. Bear in mind you are meant to report on your tax return any amount of income, of course, regardless of whether it was reported on a 1099 or not. Here's part of an article to explain the threshold change...

"Beginning in 2022, the IRS will start checking digital wallet business transactions over $600. New federal tax laws are designed to make it more difficult for small business owners and self-employed people to avoid paying taxes. If you receive over $600 in income this year on Venmo, Zelle, or PayPal, you will receive a Form 1099-K that you must fill out and file with your taxes next year.

The new changes in how cash app business transactions are reported are included in the American Rescue Plan Act, signed into law by Congress in 2021. Reporting guidelines for digital wallets and other third-party payment processors have now dropped to just $600 in aggregate payments."

Redweek likely uses a third-party payment processor hence the change.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
The change primarily has to do with digital wallet transactions or basically cash apps. There was always a $600 threshold requirement for rental income reporting. However none of the cash apps had this requirement because the digital wallet reporting threshold was $20,000 a year for any type of income. Bear in mind you owe tax on any amount of income, of course, regardless of whether it was reported on a 1099 or not. Here's part of an article to explain the threshold change...

"Beginning in 2022, the IRS will start checking digital wallet business transactions over $600. New federal tax laws are designed to make it more difficult for small business owners and self-employed people to avoid paying taxes. If you receive over $600 in income this year on Venmo, Zelle, or PayPal, you will receive a Form 1099-K that you must fill out and file with your taxes next year.

The new changes in how cash app business transactions are reported are included in the American Rescue Plan Act, signed into law by Congress in 2021. Reporting guidelines for digital wallets and other third-party payment processors have now dropped to just $600 in aggregate payments."

Redweek likely uses a third-party payment processor hence the change.
So will the same apply if you rent your DC points at 0.68c/point? Does that result in a cash transaction that is taxable?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Points reservations can be made starting any day of the week for any length of time up to a maximum number of days per reservation (14?). Charts have to start with some day of the week so Marriott chooses Friday for all of their points charts. It's not significant or impactful for making a check-in date.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points

All true, except that it’s my understanding that Zelle transfers do NOT fall under the new regulation and that Zelle will not be issuing 1099-K forms to anyone. They have statements to this effect on their website.

samcar1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistanta 4*
If I have for instance, 100k options, I can rent them ???
How??

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
If I have for instance, 100k options, I can rent them ???
How??

Staroptions cannot be directly transferred to another owner”s account. There is no mechanism to do that.

DC/Abound points (that have not been banked or transferred already) can be transferred to another owners account via a call to Owner Services.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
Abound just became real, and the VSN will now only shrink. Vistana properties have been added to the Marriott trust

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound just became real, and the VSN will now only shrink. Vistana properties have been added to the Marriott trust
Don't oversell the "VSN will shrink" line. While that's likely to be true, it is also true that for every Vistana VOI that's conveyed to the Marriott trust, there will be one fewer VOI in competition to reserve within VSN. Unless VSN became very small, which is pretty unlikely and would require tens or even hundreds of thousands of VOI owners to convey their weeks back to MVC, VSN members are unlikely to notice any difference.

A more likely possibility would be if so many VSN owners routinely elect to convert to Abound points every year that the VSN inventory shrunk a lot. But I think even that is unlikely, as most owners will see a lot more value by sticking to VSN except when they have a specific desire to travel to MVC properties.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vacation for free all the time. I just make my money outside of renting timeshares! ;)
fair enough
I make money other places as well, but I work a lot harder for that. Renting is an easy way to subsidize vacations that I would otherwise not be able to take

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Don't oversell the "VSN will shrink" line. While that's likely to be true, it is also true that for every Vistana VOI that's conveyed to the Marriott trust, there will be one fewer VOI in competition to reserve within VSN. Unless VSN became very small, which is pretty unlikely and would require tens or even hundreds of thousands of VOI owners to convey their weeks back to MVC, VSN members are unlikely to notice any difference.

A more likely possibility would be if so many VSN owners routinely elect to convert to Abound points every year that the VSN inventory shrunk a lot. But I think even that is unlikely, as most owners will see a lot more value by sticking to VSN except when they have a specific desire to travel to MVC properties.
Remember that mandatory resorts have to be part of VSN - so I imagine that even if the MVC trust is the owner they would have SO values attached.

That said, I’m not sure how many of those weeks would make it to the 8 month mark. I imagine MVC will manage the inventory pretty well.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Remember that mandatory resorts have to be part of VSN - so I imagine that even if the MVC trust is the owner they would have SO values attached.

That said, I’m not sure how many of those weeks would make it to the 8 month mark. I imagine MVC will manage the inventory pretty well.

If you think about it, the voluntary resorts added to the MVC trust are being acquired from the developer and can also have SO values attached and can probably be made available to the VSN despite being owned by the trust. MVC will have a lot of flexibility to manage the inventory as desired following their obligations to both the VSN and Abound.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
If you think about it, the voluntary resorts added to the MVC trust are being acquired from the developer and can also have SO values attached and can probably be made available to the VSN despite being owned by the trust. MVC will have a lot of flexibility to manage the inventory as desired following their obligations to both the VSN and Abound.
True. I never thought about it that way.

I wonder if the trust would try picking up Maui inventory via SO from their owned voluntary deeds at 8 months and then trying to make available at the higher Abound owners pricing?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Something else to chew on. Looks to be the master agreement that brings it all together.
Nice find. Too bad there's no detail as to the specifics of the agreement... what is recorded is pretty vague, all the resorts and owner's associations agree that they want to be part of MVC's multi-resort scheme. But it's interesting to see that it was just filed a couple of days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.