• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Those of you who have traveled to Tahoe during ski season - rental car question

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
So we are considering a trip to Tahoe in March. We are sea level folks from San Diego and are unsure if the rentals from the locations at the Reno airport come with snow tires? Chains? How does this work?

Normally we wouldn't be traveling at this time of year....but we just found out that our first grandchild is due March 7th (!!!OMG!!!) Our daughter/SIL live in Truckee. Of course rentals near their home are crazy expensive - about $2,500/week minimum so I am trying to use some of our timeshares. I have two units on hold with GPX at Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge in Tahoe Vista. It will be about a 25 min commute which we are ok with but I just want to understand the car rental situation. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

paxlin

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Hacienda Encantada
Marriott Summit Watch
So we are considering a trip to Tahoe in March. We are sea level folks from San Diego and are unsure if the rentals from the locations at the Reno airport come with snow tires? Chains? How does this work?

Normally we wouldn't be traveling at this time of year....but we just found out that our first grandchild is due March 7th (!!!OMG!!!) Our daughter/SIL live in Truckee. Of course rentals near their home are crazy expensive - about $2,500/week minimum so I am trying to use some of our timeshares. I have two units on hold with GPX at Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge in Tahoe Vista. It will be about a 25 min commute which we are ok with but I just want to understand the car rental situation. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you just rent a SUV with 4-wheel drive, then you should be fine.
Just drive slow when it snows, though that is less likely in March.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Rental cars do not permit chains due to the possibility of body damage from the chains. However, if you rent a 4WD with snow rated tires, you aren't required to have chains. Fly into Reno if you can, for a much shorter trip.

Last edited:

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm think rental cars available in snow areas have snow tires. You could call any rental place in Reno and ask.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented a car in Reno and had no problem driving around Lake Tahoe. I DID look at Enterprise FAQ's and they said they don't have snow tires, (they DO in Quebec). They said you could use chains if they are required by the state, (they're not supplied by Enterprise) I tried to call Enterprise (just a random rental car company choice)and ask, but was too impatient to wade through the long choice menu to answer this part myself!!!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Unless you live somewhere where it snows all winter, or are local in the mountains, you probably don't have true snow tires.

Almost every car tire is M+S (mud and snow), unless you have a low profile sports car tire. Go look at your sidewall, I'm sure you have M+S, certainly any 4wd does. This allows you in Nevada and CA to drive without chains with 4WD during chain control (with limited exceptions when you shouldn't drive at all.) Technically in CA you are supposed to "carry chains" but this is rarely enforced.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We rented one in Dec a few years ago but even though there was snow on the ground, it didn't snow while we were there. We were given a Chevy Tahoe LTZ, probably one of the nicest rental cars we've ever received. It was a 4wd. Our friend drove a little Ford 2wd around the whole week. :D

Thanks for the help. I guess we'll just ask for what we need when we book the car. For the record my husband is not worried at all. Just me, lol.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless you live somewhere where it snows all winter, or are local in the mountains, you probably don't have true snow tires.

Almost every car tire is M+S (mud and snow), unless you have a low profile sports car tire. Go look at your sidewall, I'm sure you have M+S, certainly any 4wd does. This allows you in Nevada and CA to drive without chains with 4WD during chain control (with limited exceptions when you shouldn't drive at all.) Technically in CA you are supposed to "carry chains" but this is rarely enforced.
We have an AWD car and the manufacturer (Ford) has no info on which tires you put the chains on - front or back. Even the dealership couldn't tell us. The manual seems to indicate that none of the wheel wells have enough clearance so while we *have* chains, we've never used them lol. We aren't planning to drive to Tahoe though, so we're planning to rent on this trip.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an AWD car and the manufacturer (Ford) has no info on which tires you put the chains on - front or back. Even the dealership couldn't tell us. The manual seems to indicate that none of the wheel wells have enough clearance so while we *have* chains, we've never used them lol. We aren't planning to drive to Tahoe though, so we're planning to rent on this trip.
All tires on AWD is best unless the mfr recommends against it. If only two, they should go on the front.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
As I noted above, if chains are required on AWD vehicles (Called R-3 in California), you should not be driving. Even locals, with decades of experience, don't drive in these conditions.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
BTW. I love Red Wolf Lodge but the units are small.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stay at Tahoe a lot in the winter. I would recommend getting a 4wd. Most of the time you don't need it, but big snowstorms can come in at any time in the winter there, and when they do, it's so much more useful and stress free than having to fret about whether you can get through or not with a 2wd. Plus no need to use chains is a relief.

Alternatively, the 10 day forecasts are usually pretty good, so if you reserve a 4wd and can switch 3-4 days before you arrive for a cheaper AWD or something if the weather looks like it will be good when you're there, you could save a bit of money potentially that way if the rental car availability is improved by then. Even if it's not snowing though, if it has been a snowy winter, a lot of parking lots or side roads may have snow and ice sticking on them several inches deep that you have to get through, so the 4wd is the best bet overall.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stay at Tahoe a lot in the winter. I would recommend getting a 4wd. Most of the time you don't need it, but big snowstorms can come in at any time in the winter there, and when they do, it's so much more useful and stress free than having to fret about whether you can get through or not with a 2wd. Plus no need to use chains is a relief.

Alternatively, the 10 day forecasts are usually pretty good, so if you reserve a 4wd and can switch 3-4 days before you arrive for a cheaper AWD or something if the weather looks like it will be good when you're there, you could save a bit of money potentially that way if the rental car availability is improved by then. Even if it's not snowing though, if it has been a snowy winter, a lot of parking lots or side roads may have snow and ice sticking on them several inches deep that you have to get through, so the 4wd is the best bet overall.
Thanks for this excellent info! When using Costco car rentals is there any way to guarantee a 4wd? Or should we book directly with the rental car company to assure getting a 4wd?

We're also going up in early Dec and booked some class (can't remember which) and it indicated a Volkswagen Atlas or similar which looked good for snow. But of course who knows what "similar" will be. I'm not too worried about that rental because it may be dry and probably won't be crowded but mid March is a different story.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thanks for this excellent info! When using Costco car rentals is there any way to guarantee a 4wd? Or should we book directly with the rental car company to assure getting a 4wd?

We're also going up in early Dec and booked some class (can't remember which) and it indicated a Volkswagen Atlas or similar which looked good for snow. But of course who knows what "similar" will be. I'm not too worried about that rental because it may be dry and probably won't be crowded but mid March is a different story.
I took a look at Costco. Doesn't say for the SUVs if they are 4WD or AWD. They do have the option for an additional fee of "ski equipped". I don't know what that means, probably racks for skis? I would make the reservation, then call the rental agency directly to see if you can insure getting a car with 4WD or AWD.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I don't know how Costco or others guarantee or presents their rentals for 4wd.

We have our own 4wd that we take on our travels, and it provides a nice peace of mind and mobility all winter. Also great for the forest service dirt roads in Tahoe and all over the West during non-winter seasons too.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have family in Truckee and the latest we've been on I-80 under chain control was May 1, so it can be almost anytime. Make sure you get 4wd, have cash on hand as you can buy chains from the roadside guys if chains are needed on 80. We've been through checkpoints where we've had to show the chains, but didn't have to put them on.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have family in Truckee and the latest we've been on I-80 under chain control was May 1, so it can be almost anytime. Make sure you get 4wd, have cash on hand as you can buy chains from the roadside guys if chains are needed on 80. We've been through checkpoints where we've had to show the chains, but didn't have to put them on.
You can't put chains on most rental vehicles.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't put chains on most rental vehicles.
You can't put them on but if stopped by the authorities, you can show them you have them if needed. It's a catch 22 for sure, but it was worth the $40 to have them and to be able to continue to travel on.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You can't put them on but if stopped by the authorities, you can show them you have them if needed. It's a catch 22 for sure, but it was worth the $40 to have them and to be able to continue to travel on.
This was years ago, but I know of cases where people were stopped and had to put their chains on before they could proceed.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
In California, they typically have check points to insure you have your chains installed when required.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
In California, they typically have check points to insure you have your chains installed when required.
This is what I remember.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well I suppose that if the weather is that bad my son in law will just have to be our chauffeur for the week.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I suppose that if the weather is that bad my son in law will just have to be our chauffeur for the week.
The nice thing is that is rarely that way for days on end, usually the sun shines brightl. And what an amazing, perfect reason to be there! Have a great time

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
This was years ago, but I know of cases where people were stopped and had to put their chains on before they could proceed.
They will rarely if ever be required on 4WD, and you should not be out if they do. See my post #s 6 and 10, above.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have an inquiry in with a local business in Reno called Reno Tahoe Rental Car and they guarantee a 4wd vehicle with snow tires. Their reviews are excellent. We are planning on using them for the trip in March. I don't want to get stuck in Reno waiting for one of the big agencies to have a 4wd in their inventory.