• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This Robin is one strange bird!

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the past 30 minutes, a single robin has been flying into one of our ground floor windows. There is a deck railing next to the window and the robin launches itself from the railing. The number of hits has been over 40. For the past 5 minutes, it is hitting at the rate of about 1 every 7 seconds. Both wife and I have stood by the window, have gone outside to whoosh it away.

Have never seen anything like this. Am getting up to try to get it to fly away.

Went outside to the railing and robin flew away. Came back and sat down and the robin is back striking the window every 5 seconds or so.

Last edited:

geoand

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the robin wants to come into the house. I was standing at the back door (large window in it) and it was standing about 2 feet away looking directly through the door. Then flew into the window and hit it with its feet and flapped its wings against the window.

It continues to strike the other window in the same method. Feet first and flapping the wings at the same time. Can see and hear the wings flutter against the glass.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably thinks it is girlfriend in the window. And by now he has been knocked senseless.

geoand

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first thought was that it was a hormonal female robin. Who knows.

As of this point, it is still trying to fly into house through the back door window. Standing about 2 feel away and launching into the window. Just strange.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This happens occassionally. The bird is going after its own reflection. (I don't have the foggiest why this sometimes occurs.) The best thing you can do is somehow cover the OUTSIDE of the window. (Covering the inside will not do anything ... or, if it does, it will simply make the reflection more apparent.)

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
A birder and librarian in the small public library where I worked put large silhouettes of hawks out of black construction paper on the windows.

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A few years back we had a red Dodge pick up/w a red cap and we saw a Cardinal on the truck almost every day...either looking in the side mirrors, sitting on the cap, the bumper or the hood! And once IN the cab of the truck (red upholstery of course). We never figured out if he/she was in love with the truck or themself! And then he/she was gone and never came back. :bawl:

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had this happen during our very first exchange. It was at Sutherland Crossings and the bird was a rufous-sided towhee. I thought it was a robin at first, then noticed the center of the breast was white. It woke us up every morning since its favorite window was the master bedroom's.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We used to live in a house with large south facing windows and would often find birds dead on the deck outside who had launched themselves into the windows because of the reflections. We hung some things in the windows and that seemed to help. We also had one particularly persistent bird one morning, who kept trying and trying....poor thing. We finally were able to chase him/her away before he did himself in!

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other day I was reading at my kitchen table when something hit the window next to me--very hard. I looked to see something smeared on the window and a couple of tiny feathers. Assuming I now had a dead bird outside my window, I went to pick it up and dispose of it. The poor little thing, some type of gold finch, was in the middle of the walkway with its wings splayed out. When I picked it up, I realized it was not dead yet. It's head was kinda off to the side and I assumed it had a broken neck and would expire shortly but couldn't bring myself to toss it in the garbage while its heart was still beating. I gently brought it inside so it would not have to suffer the cold or some cat toying with it in its final minutes. I said a silent, sincere prayer that it would not suffer and then put it in my kitchen where it couldn't see me (didn't want to frighten the poor thing further) but I could still hear it. My daughter then came in the room and I explained what had happened. She looked at the bird and became sad as it had started to twitch and convulse. She left for work and I went back to reading my book. After about an hour, I could hear the plastic bag it was resting on begin to make more and more crackling noises. I glanced over to see the bird upright. After about 10 more minutes it was hopping away from the bag. I gently picked it up in my hands and took it back outside where it flew away. To me, that was a miracle! It's been too cold (or I'm just too lazy) to clean the outside of the window yet. Everytime I see where that bird hit, I wonder at how it could have survived.

geoand

TUG Member
Reaction score
The robin finally gave up about 12:20. After my last post, it found the door knob of my back door. It is the lever type of handle rather than the knob type. So, it was perched on it and staring into the window. Then it would leap up about a foot and hit the window with its feet and wings and land back down on the lever. Would stare again at both wife and I and repeat the leap. Robin has not returned today. :)

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
Rose Pink, I'm sure if you didn't take the bird inside it would have most certainly died. You have a kind heart, yeah for the birdie :cheer:

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
bird situation

Hi, we've had this same problem over the years. I've been told that most birds are very territorial. I saw on a post that someone had cut out pictures of birds, bats, cats(?) etc. so as to chase/scare the culprit away. The best thing that we had luck with was to cover the outside of the window with newspaper. This was a BIG task as it was a large bedroom window & hubby had to get on a ladder to tape it outside etc. The first night it poured rain so we had to do it again the next day. It did to the trick though, although it took several quick "stabs" before the bird gave up. Good luck.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of tall windows on the North side by our deck, and often get birds hitting the glass--usually as a bolt from perceived danger. (We have feeders out there.)

Most often, though they may look dead or seriously injured, they are just dazed, and if you give them time will recover and fly away.

Short of hanging something from inside the windows, not sure there is much you can do.