• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

THIS POLL IS FOR KBV OWNERS ONLY! How are you going to vote?

Owners: How are you going to vote on Special Assesment vs Auction of the Property?

• I am going to vote FOR the Special Assesment.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am going to vote AGAINST the Special Assessment.

Votes: 29 100.0%

• Total voters

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,

I notice several newbies are joining this KBV owners forum. Welcome to TUG.

The issues facing KBV have been discussed for many months in several threads. I encourage newcomers to skim through several links from the last half year at https://tugbbs.com/forums/forums/kauai-beach-villas-ioa-public-square.61/

TUG is often the target of scammers; the TUG community is pretty effective at sniffing them out within hours. While I am not going to pursue it, I am pretty sure that any valid Wyndham email would be at something resembling xxx @ wyn.com I find The @gmail address fishy. With all the legal actions reported to be ongoing or pending, I sincerely doubt that either Wyndham or the KBV IOA board of directors are behind it. I have no facts but would not be surprised to discover a new enterprising scam focused on KBV’s special circumstances.

I’m listing a few other TUG links that KBV owners new to this forum might find interesting.

Welcome Message for KBV Owners Visiting This Site for the First Time https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/w...visiting-this-site-for-the-first-time.291693/

Ancient history but just in case one is curious: Why this forum for (PAHIO at) Kauai Beach Villas (KBV) exists https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/why-this-forum-for-pahio-at-kauai-beach-villas-kbv-exists.282380/

Jack

loufeinberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've owned at KBV since 1997. Over the years we've seen the property deteriorate. Check-in were hellacious under Wyndham. The time we stayed with GPX it was a pleasure. Unfortunately, they were replaced again with Wyndham and now we find ourself in this mess.

We voted YES. Wyndham owns thousands of shares and I doubt they will want to pay millions to keep KBV going.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
So many unanswered questions with future financial ramifications which the BOD has not addressed thus making us vote in the blind. I am voting with my gut: TO NOT PROCEED and TO INITIATING TERMINATION.

That being said does anyone know how many votes Wyndham controls and if over 50% then all other votes would mean nothing. The result is now MOOT if Wyndham's vote is to proceed?

Even if you already voted, I would highly suggest that you register and participate in the actual ZOOM meeting on May 2, 2023 at 10:30AM. The specific information was enclosed in my voting information.

Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I debated with myself about how "anonymous" the poll truly is, since any board member - or the CEO of Wyndham for that matter - could register for TUG, vote, and see the total. I decided that what is anonymous is who has voted.
I did not vote in the poll, yet I can see 21 votes (100% at the moment) voted AGAINST the Special Assessment. Does anyone think Michael Brown, Wyndham CEO, or anyone at Wyndham cares how a couple dozen people (or even a couple thousand, if there was that much interest) vote in a TUG poll? It is just a conversation piece.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
D'oh! Thank you for restating the obvious.

Jonbet96

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas
Very nice letter Benoma88. I would like to add a few extra questions that my wife and I have. We hope someone from the board will see your letter and mine and answer some of these questions. Incidentally, I just now joined this forum and this is my first post, also.

1. How many and which units are impacted?
2. Can everyone still be accommodated in units during the project?
3. Is the assessment in the chart sent to us payable immediately in one lump sum, or is it divided over the years of reconstruction?
4. Where will funding come from if all owners do not pay the assessment (a near certainty, I'm afraid)?
5. Same question as #4 in the case of cost over runs.
6. Similar to your curiosity, Ben, what about the people that own units and live in them. They don't belong to our IOA. They belong to the AOAO. I'm sure it is impossible for us to sell places that they own. The mix of full time owners and timeshare owners could really complicate a sale and degrade the value to a prospective buyer.

I feel the odds of getting 75% of the owners to vote, regardless of their position, is extremely low. My wife and I plan on voting as you. We will vote YES to not proceed with remediation. Pretty awkward wording!

Another thing we consider, that maybe some of the other owners should, also, is that we are getting old enough that 5 yrs takes a big bite out of our potential use. If this gets off to a slow start and then takes an extra year or two, that would be a disaster for us. Also, we are every other year owners, so the first year of re-open might not be our year to come.
Like you we owned every other year however, all the information that has come out has said that we would pay the same as a person that wanted yearly however, we would not be receiving the same benefits, so why would we be paying the same amount as someone that owns the villa every year I have attempted to contact the board with this question four and five times letters emails nothing is ever answered so in order to vote I really need this information is our board just not responding

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
Like you we owned every other year however, all the information that has come out has said that we would pay the same as a person that wanted yearly however, we would not be receiving the same benefits, so why would we be paying the same amount as someone that owns the villa every year I have attempted to contact the board with this question four and five times letters emails nothing is ever answered so in order to vote I really need this information is our board just not responding
This is obviously illegal under any common sense definition along with legal contracts 101. The more I learn about the entire chain of events, the more this whole KBV situation smells fishy and is being manipulated by the BOD and Wyndham. Where's the full disclosure by the BOD who has the fiduciary responsibility to provide owners with all information available and where is the Wyndham management we, the owners, pay a premium for and should also have legal responsibility of supplying the information requested to the owners and/or the BOD? So many questions and so few answers.

TeriZ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV
Trying that again. We voted yes. Mailed it in.

Karenbuch

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV
GTL
We received the update regarding our condo possibly being removed from KBV. We never heard or read the outcome of the last board meeting. How can we get an update? What should we do about dues and trading?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No one knows - the board is MIA.

Karenbuch

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV
GTL
Welcome to TUG!

Here's what I gathered from the letter that accompanied the ballot.

If the motion succeeds, the resort will be sold at auction as a single entity. This will be a court-ordered sale--it will not require any further approval by any of the owners, and all owners individual interests will be terminated by this process. Any proceeds from the sale, plus any insurance payout (and presumably any leftover funds in any IOA/AOAO accounts) will be distributed back to the owners in proportion to their ownership. However, if any owners have unpaid debts, those would be paid first from those proceeds.

From my perspective, this is better than I had hoped, and by a lot. I don't expect much back, but anything is basically found money. The intervals had no value on the open market well before the full extent of the problems was known. Even the 2BR oceanfront weeks were being given away for the cost of transfer fees, and those deals often included a free year of use as well. More importantly, because the auction is court-ordered, we don't have to spend time and money chasing down unresponsive owners to get them to sign over deeds or go through foreclosure to clear them--something that some other resorts have had to go through as part of their termination process.
Do you have any updates -it has been 3 + months and I have not received anything and don’t know who to call or email.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I reserved 3 weeks for 2024 with no problem by using the standard email address. I requested the ground floor facing the lagoon - I believe these are the units that have been renovated because of flooding a few years ago.

bianchicycle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas
Going on for some is just great but I own 5 weeks in G-1 and it can not be used! I do not want to have to pay for maintenance for any useable unit but I do not want to screw up my credit by not paying. Has anyone talked to an attorney about this. Thos who live there all year have one problem but that should not delay a vote by the timeshare owners..

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own 4 Oceanfront weeks too, so my situation is no different from yours. You can definitely reserve other buildings, since yours is not available. It's a hot mess, and I'm just trying to get some value out of it.

Added: At this point I think the future of resort will be decided by the full-time owners & their lawsuit, and Wyndham. I'm not willing to spend money on an attorney, etc, because, I think it's hopeless.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Oceanfront owners (we also own two so we are in a smaller version of your boats) can reserve in the other buildings. It’s not as wonderful, but it’s still a great location on the island.

bianchicycle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas
I agree, to a point! My reason and pleasure was sitting on my patio and watching the water... not a Logoon.

I also wonder if it will hurt us in the future if Wyndam can say, "Hay, the property is still usable, look at the Ocean front people who are just using the rest of the property.

just playing devils advocate. And.... lawsuits can take YEARS to even get court date

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Everybody has to make their own decision. But early on, resort management said that only owners who were up to date on their maintenance fees would receive any proceeds, so we plan to keep paying the maintenance fees and getting some value out of our weeks, as long as we can. I just don't think that owners can change the course of this train wreck, and throwing money at a lawyer won't change that. YMMV

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also wonder if it will hurt us in the future if Wyndam can say, "Hay, the property is still usable, look at the Ocean front people who are just using the rest of the property.
I don't think Wyndham wants this albatross any more than I do--and my reading is that's why the AOAO Board came up with the Partition idea.