• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This is how the internet is supposed to work!

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our dishwasher broke. Oh well, it happens. 5 years ago I bought the cheapest one, installed it myself, and it lasted 5 years. I've fixed it maybe a dozen times, and this time the pump failed, and that's enough.

So I went across the street from work to Lowes, and the appliance guy showed me that there was a deal on the Frigidaire FGHD2433; $549 retail, down to $379, plus a rebate, plus 5% off with my Lowes card. WOW. So, I signed up, and scheduled delivery and installation (I won't do it myself again, that was one PITA). And when I got home, I showed Mrs Mosca the picture of our new dishwasher, and then... I read the reviews.

Scroll down to the reviews...

Oh, my! 24 reviews, with one 5-star, one 3-star, two 2-star, and TWENTY 1-star! And comments like, "I've never written a product review EVER, but I'm writing one to warn people away from this piece of junk!" And the comments span a period of a couple years, so it's not like there was a bad sub-run on the assembly line.

This morning I went back to Lowes and picked out a different dishwasher; more expensive, but I've found that often the relationship between price and quality is very direct. Not always, but often. And I did have the foresight to check each model for satisfaction. I picked out a Maytag that owners seem satisfied with.

What would we do 15 years ago? This is when the hive-mind works best!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually end up reading those reviews the week after the _____ has been installed. Where is that dope-slap smilie when you need it?

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Similar experience here; we needed a new chain-saw, not a biggie, just for fallen limbs, but didn't want a cheapo junker either. Looked at Lowe's and picked out a probable, read the reviews online, which were poor, poor, poor.

Did some more checking online, found a less expensive one that got great reviews - we never would have considered it b/c it was so inexpensive. The only negative comments were that it was kind of hard to put together. When we got it it was already assembled, and it worked just great for our needs!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also like and use reviews, but someone in the marketing industry said to take them lightly. Employees of companies submit entries praising their own products, so quite possibly dish on competitors. If reviews are anonymous (ie no registration required on the site, anyone can say anything). The few times I ever post, though, I am honest.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I assume both 5* and 1* reviews are from ringers or wackos.
I focus more on middle of the road reviews to see what concerns peep w/o an axe to grind.

However, I will also consider the overall score what the general sentiment is.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
have to agree with consumer reports.. I have been a subscriber for 20+ years.. in appliances you see very quickly it the Whirlpools and Kenmore that lead the pack year after year in quality especially reefers, dishwashers & washer/dryers.

the more expensive models like Bosch, fisher paschal and other rate lower and cost more..

GE is the king of stoves, along with hotpoint.

consumer reports sent me a special deal of 12 buck for a year of online..

if you are looking for something let me know i will look it up.. within reason..

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I trust my own judgment on things, but in this case the numbers and vehemence are really overwhelming. Check the link, it is truly impressive.

When I check reviews, I almost always read the worst ones first, then go back and think about what I'm looking at, and how I will use it and if it's something that I usually like. Then I read the positive reviews.

For example, Unbroken. Or as I'd put it, "Louis Zamperini gets Seabiscuited." I usually like this sort of book, and I really loved Seabiscuit. But I'd just recently read Tears in the Darkness, so Unbroken had a tough climb.

Most negative reviews of Unbroken focus on the style, calling it simplistic. And I'd agree. I still recommend the book, but the negative reviews are spot on. The style didn't ruin the book for me. So I took what I knew (that I usually read that kind of stuff, and I loved Seabiscuit) and figured that the negatives wouldn't bother me. And I was right. Good book. Maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as many others did, but the bad reviews didn't keep me away from it. (And check out Tears in the Darkness, it's pretty awesome; better than Unbroken.)