• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This forum saved us!!!!

Lelle09

Reaction score
I am so thankful I ran across this group! My husband and I were almost pulled into the trap! We were pressured into buying after a 4 hour "90min" presentation at Westgate in FL on a Friday! They gave us the briefcase and a tablet and rolled out the red carpet. We were on a stay from Thurs-Sun. I started doing some research and really saw the reality of what we did. And I'm so glad I found the recission law! Because that Sunday before checkout I called the closing officer and told her I wanted to rescind. Just so happen she called us because we were supposed to meet with someone else after we closed. If this hadn't happened we prob would have not been able to get in touch with anyone. So I had her personal work number! We are from SC and I did not want to take that binder and tablet back with us. So I called her and told her what we were doing. She wanted to meet in her office. So I was ready with the info I got from this forum. I told her we were firm in our decision and I was going to mail a letter on Monday if need be. So in all actuality we didn't have to mail our letter as we were still at the resort and it saved us. Of course they tried to slash the offer in half. . She handed me a blank piece of paper and I wrote out my recission. My husband and I both signed it and she gave us a copy with her signature and checked that we had returned all the items we were given and we will get our refund within 21 days she reluctantly said. And we walked out free and clear! So I am thankful for all the people who take the time out to save people like us that don't know the information because we had no clue about recission and they made it seem so easy to get out of out contract. I just wanted to share my experience! Thank you.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congratulations! You made the right choice. How much did you save by rescinding?

TUG is a fantastic resource for people trying to learn about timesharing. There is no agenda here, other than to share honest information with people, so they can make the most of what they already own, or learn how to get what they want for far less than the developer pricing.

Timeshares can be a great way to vacation, if you are an informed buyer. In most cases, you can buy resale for pennies on the dollar, sometimes even less. After you have received your refund, spend time here to learn about resale, and how to buy what truly suits you. Then buy it on the resale market, but only if it's a good decision for you.

Good luck!
Dave

Lelle09

Reaction score
Congratulations! You made the right choice. How much did you save by rescinding?

TUG is a fantastic resource for people trying to learn about timesharing. There is no agenda here, other than to share honest information with people, so they can make the most of what they already own, or learn how to get what they want for far less than the developer pricing.

Timeshares can be a great way to vacation, if you are an informed buyer. In most cases, you can buy resale for pennies on the dollar, sometimes even less. After you have received your refund, spend time here to learn about resale, and how to buy what truly suits you. Then buy it on the resale market, but only if it's a good decision for you.

Good luck!
Dave

At first they said they got our name mixed up with a25 year owner, so we were "VIP" and we're getting a major discount. It was a $64,000 but we got for $25000, we said no to that, then they offered us a $15,000 year lockoff unit . They gave a "1year contract" to use on the even years. Maintenance was $985 yearly with a $250 monthly payment. With the extra savings down payment was around $1700. But if course they could break it up into payments. When we rescinded it went all the way down to 8,500 with a $150 monthly payment.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they will honor your rescission the way you did it. Wastegate has a terrible reputation!

The advantage of sending it via USPS Certified Mail is that you have a tracking number and legal Postmark. If it were me, I would do it again (this time via USPS) tomorrow to cover your bases!

Let us know when you get your money back.

Best of luck!

Lelle09

Reaction score
Hopefully they will honor your rescission the way you did it. Wastegate has a terrible reputation!

The advantage of sending it via USPS Certified Mail is that you have a tracking number and legal Postmark.

Let us know when you get your money back.

Best of luck!

Do you think I should send another copy certified? She stamped dated and signed it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think I should send another copy certified? She stamped dated and signed it.
I think that since you have a copy of the rescind letter, signed by a representative of the resort, you'll be fine. It isn't exactly 'all the 'I's are dotted and 'T's are crossed, but if worse comes to worst, you would easily prevail in any court.

Lelle09

Reaction score
I think that since you have a copy of the rescind letter, signed by a representative of the resort, you'll be fine. It isn't exactly 'all the 'I's are dotted and 'T's are crossed, but if worse comes to worst, you would easily prevail in any court.

I'll send another copy to make absolutely sure! Thank you!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When you send the second letter, just make sure to send it certified mail. That way you have a guaranteed postmark of when it was sent. It doesn't have to be received in any particular timeframe. You just need to prove it was mailed within the timeframe. Also, make sure whoever signed the purchase contract signs the rescission letter. It may take several weeks before you see the money refunded, and you might not receive anything in writing form the resort saying you rescinded. But seeing the money refunded will be evidence enough.

Again, good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

Lelle09

Reaction score
When you send the second letter, just make sure to send it certified mail. That way you have a guaranteed postmark of when it was sent. It doesn't have to be received in any particular timeframe. You just need to prove it was mailed within the timeframe. Also, make sure whoever signed the purchase contract signs the rescission letter. It may take several weeks before you see the money refunded, and you might not receive anything in writing form the resort saying you rescinded. But seeing the money refunded will be evidence enough.

Again, good luck!

Dave
Yes! My husband and I both signed. Should I send another copy of the copy they and us already signed at the resort or type up a new one?

Lelle09

Reaction score
I don't think it matters but I would type up a new one. There is always the possibility that your sales lady didn't turn in the one she signed...

George
The same notary who closed with us signed the recission letter. But I will definitely type up a new one also ! Thank you!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
With $25,000 involved ? Yes, do it again.

Need I say more ?

Yes, yes, yes! Take no chances and follow the instructions to rescind the transaction to the letter!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You're probably okay, but for the cost of sending a certified letter, better to be safe than sorry. You only have a few days to do this rescission, so don't wait.

Dave

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I am so thankful I ran across this group! My husband and I were almost pulled into the trap! We were pressured into buying after a 4 hour "90min" presentation at Westgate in FL on a Friday! They gave us the briefcase and a tablet and rolled out the red carpet. We were on a stay from Thurs-Sun. I started doing some research and really saw the reality of what we did. And I'm so glad I found the recission law! Because that Sunday before checkout I called the closing officer and told her I wanted to rescind. Just so happen she called us because we were supposed to meet with someone else after we closed. If this hadn't happened we prob would have not been able to get in touch with anyone. So I had her personal work number! We are from SC and I did not want to take that binder and tablet back with us. So I called her and told her what we were doing. She wanted to meet in her office. So I was ready with the info I got from this forum. I told her we were firm in our decision and I was going to mail a letter on Monday if need be. So in all actuality we didn't have to mail our letter as we were still at the resort and it saved us. Of course they tried to slash the offer in half. . She handed me a blank piece of paper and I wrote out my recission. My husband and I both signed it and she gave us a copy with her signature and checked that we had returned all the items we were given and we will get our refund within 21 days she reluctantly said. And we walked out free and clear! So I am thankful for all the people who take the time out to save people like us that don't know the information because we had no clue about recission and they made it seem so easy to get out of out contract. I just wanted to share my experience! Thank you.
So where do you like to travel? Now that you saved a ton of money, you can buy the right RESALE ownership in a much much much better system. Hilton, Marriott, Westin, Hyatt, Wyndham....... all are much better than wastegate.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience!

Most here on TUG when people share experiences like yours. It helps us to see what is happening in these sales presentations so that we can 1) arm ourselves if we ever go to a sales presentation & 2) help others who are in situations like yours.

That being said, once you have done everything on your end to properly rescind, you should also explore the option of renting a week for your next vacation. I'll bet you the sales person didn't mention that option to you, did (s)he? This allows you to "try before you buy". Also, with TUG's Last Minute Rentals forum, you can likely find something you're looking for for less than the MFs if you have the flexibility of traveling within the next 45 days.

There's no buy-in fee and if you decide that owning or using timesharing is no longer your cup of tea, you don't have to go through the headaches of trying to get rid of it.

Lelle09

Reaction score
Most here on TUG when people share experiences like yours. It helps us to see what is happening in these sales presentations so that we can 1) arm ourselves if we ever go to a sales presentation & 2) help others who are in situations like yours.

That being said, once you have done everything on your end to properly rescind, you should also explore the option of renting a week for your next vacation. I'll bet you the sales person didn't mention that option to you, did (s)he? This allows you to "try before you buy". Also, with TUG's Last Minute Rentals forum, you can likely find something you're looking for for less than the MFs if you have the flexibility of traveling within the next 45 days.

There's no buy-in fee and if you decide that owning or using timesharing is no longer your cup of tea, you don't have to go through the headaches of trying to get rid of it.
Now that I know this information I will use this platform to find a rental! I wished I would have know about it sooner I wouldn't have wasted 4 hours of our time. I appreciate all the info and feedback I have received this far!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Now that I know this information I will use this platform to find a rental! I wished I would have know about it sooner I wouldn't have wasted 4 hours of our time. I appreciate all the info and feedback I have received this far!
Don’t be afraid to own. If you have the right system and ownership for you, it can be a lot of fun.

Lelle09

Reaction score

*Edit!!* They sent the money back and also sent us a letter saying we were out of the contract!! *Whew!!!!!!!

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I'm curious as to the cost to the Westgates, etc. of acquiring and retention of a customer? The luck ones who go to these presentations find TUG and or their rescission rights and I'd think 100% cancel. The TS gets another black eye, and more bad press, so from a business model and from an outsiders perspective how does this make any sense? Seems like the industry, "Westgate style" is on a death spiral as word gets out. Would it not be better business model, profits, to build value into your system rather than find new ways to screw your customers over?

One missing component that I am not aware of if it exists, is legislating that 10% of the time spent in a presentaion be on the topic of rescission, your rights and how to, in plain English.

K Cain

Reaction score
Congrats, on finding this forum and recending your purchase! We own a few weeks and points. I learned about rental from this forum. Take your time and figure out what you like, and get a cheap trader, to trade into what you want, where you want. Which is what we did. We travel a lot for work, and like to use Marriott hotels. Having the flexibility to be able to get into a vacation club while on a work trip is awesome as well. I hate eating out and like the peace and quiet of my own "condo" like atmosphere and consistency of service when I'm near one of those resorts. When I can, I take the better half, or another family member when I'm on travel. I guess I could use an Airbnb, but haven't taken that plunge, yet. I usually take a few days on either side of the trip, to enjoy the local flavor and ambiance of where I'll be "living" for a week to 10 days, while at work.