• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of traveling to Cancun - 2 females and 1 teenager...

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My DH will not be able to come with us and we are staying at the Royal Mayan.

- Is it easy to catch a cab from the airport without hagglers?
- Is it best not to rent a car?
- We planned on staying at the resort and doing tours to get around...
- How can we purchase groceries? Can we take them in suitcase?
- Is it safe for women alone? Now we are city girls so we know how to be watchful and we don't trust nobody ... but I just want to be prepared.

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go and feel safe with another mom and a teenage girl. I would have transportation figured out through Thomas Moore Travel before I went... the airport would be a big pain and mayby kinda scarey if you did not know where you were going or who with.
I would definitely not rent a car but would use the buses and taxis. We get our groceries from Wal Mart, a very interesting bus ride away. You take a cab home to the Royal Mayan.

The Royal Mayan is awesome. We were just there in July.

Enjoy!

Sue

Marlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Mayan Resort

I have been an owner at this resort since it opened. It is awesome and safe for any traveler. You do not need to rent a car. I would suggest contacting and arranging a private pick up at the airport. Go to: brant@entertainment-plus.net. You can book a round trip for less than it costs to take a cab. They also provide other trips you can book through them privately and the cost is reasonable. You can get groceries right on the property as they have small stores in each of the resorts as you connect with the Royal Islander and Royal Caribbean. You will enjoy your stay. Have fun. Please feel free to email me at xmrsj@sbcglobal.net if you need more information or if I can help answer any questions. :cheer:

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Wal Mart for groceries. However, I was so thankful to have packed a few items in our suitcase. After a full day of travel it was so nice to relax in our unit and be able to eat-in our first night without running for groceries first.

Kenrabs

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Check,the,on,site,market,and,see,if,it,can,satisfy,your,needs,before,going,to,Walmart.,I,recommend,entertainment-plus.net,for,airport,transfers,also.Buses,are,safe,andonly,65cents,per-person,each,way.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
My DH will not be able to come with us and we are staying at the Royal Mayan.

- Is it easy to catch a cab from the airport without hagglers?
- Is it best not to rent a car?
- We planned on staying at the resort and doing tours to get around...
- How can we purchase groceries? Can we take them in suitcase?
- Is it safe for women alone? Now we are city girls so we know how to be watchful and we don't trust nobody ... but I just want to be prepared.

1. Transportation from the airport is pretty well regulated; you can arrange transportation on a shared van for around $10 per person at a kiosk just before you walk out of the airport. The price is standard, no haggling. It's even easier if you pre-arrange your transportation. Either use Brant at Entertainment Plus as suggested above, or through Thomas More which you can find on http://www.royalresorts.com (go down the choices on the left till you find airport transfers). The two services are similar, both are highly recommended - an advantage of Thomas More is that the fee will appear on your Royal Mayan resort bill when you check out.

One hassle you will get in the airport is from the Timeshare Sharks - you will have to run the guantlet of people offering to help you, asking you if you need transportation, even saying "royal resorts?" or "Thomas More?". IGNORE THEM ALL and just keep walking. Do not sign anything or pay anyone anything. Do not hesitate, look interested, or stop. The only REAL Thomas More drivers will be wearing yellow shirts with a Thomas More logo, and I assume the drivers from Brant's service are also clearly identified.

2. You do not need a car unless you plan to go on a bunch of tours and want to do it yourself. I don't recommend that. If you want to do a few tours use either Thomas More or Brant, and let someone else do the driving.

Getting around the Cancun area via local bus or taxi is easy - taxi obviously easier than bus though not quite as cheap; the busses are cheap and reliable.

3. Re groceries – depends on how much real cooking you intend to do. WalMart is about 30-45 minutes from the Royal Mayan by bus. They have a great selection, will take your mastercard, and then you can take a taxi back. You can also get almost everything at any of the three mini-markets at the Tri-Royals. Sodas, cereal, bread, canned food, fruit, ice cream, snacks….. The Royal Islander has a great take-out with ribs, roast chicken, soups, salads, etc., and all of the restaurants at the Royals are reasonable. We don’t bother with WalMart any more – we rely on the mini-markets plus the take-out. The prices are reasonable.

You can bring non-perishables in your suitcase. We bring a few easy to pack things from home, like microwave popcorn and peanut butter.

4. The Royals are very safe. If you are used to a city, just use your street smarts and common sense outside of the Royals, especially at night. Don’t flash cash, keep a good hold on your purse and wallet, keep your passport in the villa safe, and so forth.

All of these topics have been discussed on this board, so you might want to search for terms such as “food”, “walmart”, “brant”, “Thomas more”, etc.

Last edited:

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Use common sense, and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

I would have pre-arranged transport if possible as posted many times above.

Look straight ahead and ignore all the helpers and hagglers..timeshare sales sharks...LOL...

I do not, as a person living in Mexico and Mexican licensed suggest you rent a car...the rules of the road are different and well I come from a pretty aggressive state of drivers and mexican drivers are extremely aggressive and take many, many risks....skip the rental and bus or taxi it, must also have collectivos there...like van that pick up 10- 12 people, inexpensive, and better than bus for comfort...

Have fun!!