• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of Selling my DVC Because I like Marriott Better

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Well, after this last trip to Orlando, I'm seriously thinking of selling the rest of our DVC points and just staying at Marriott. The main thing I like about DVC is the location. But when it comes to the quality of the bedding, the furnishings, the TV choices, the general comfort, I really prefer Marriott Vacation Club.

Anybody else had this happen where they settle in on a system/family of resorts that you like better? With this economy, it really has me thinking about what I want the most money wise.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I don't have any experience with DVC but everything I've read here seems to indicate they are higher quality than many Marriott's. What i like about Marriott is their great selection of locations and their quality ... annual MF's are getting too high, but a necessary evil I guess.

I'm with you on the Marriott bedding -- but have noted that different places have different ideas of the Revive bedding system, with some locations much better than others. In the upscale full service Marriotts they are like sleeping on a cloud, but in others not as good -- no doubt they 'went cheap' on things like the feather beds, down pillows, etc. in some locations. Overall, however, Marriott forced their customers into 4" foam beds for years and thankfully for Westin's Heavenly Beds, Marriott had to change their ideas on bedding -- and the Revive bedding was a huge improvement IMO.

Brian

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
littlestar -

If you are still traveling to Orlando, using the Marriott properties, you might want to maintain a small DVC contract for the AP discount and other perks?

Anybody else had this happen where they settle in on a system/family of resorts that you like better?
Sorta. I've fallen in love with one of our "single location" properties ... it is my happy place. I start to relax and leave the world behind as I make the drive ... looking for signals that "all is well": the progress of a barn being rebuilt from last Oct's fires; camels in one field, goats in the next; the single donkey in a pasture of sheep; the emu resting in the shade of his chestnut horse buddy; a quiet valley of CA's most happy cows, etc.

If I could have only one timeshare, I'd quickly sell off Grand Pacific Palisades, Seapointer (South Africa) and the DVC contracts. Deciding between the last two would be a real struggle: Worldmark is so flexible, affordable and useful ... yet my heart belongs in Warner Springs.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
Well, after this last trip to Orlando, I'm seriously thinking of selling the rest of our DVC points and just staying at Marriott.

I'm trying to decide between DVC and Marriott myself. Have you stayed at any of the WDW-area Marriotts?

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm trying to decide between DVC and Marriott myself. Have you stayed at any of the WDW-area Marriotts?

Oh, yes. I totally love Marriott's Cypress Harbour in Orlando. Horizons is a second place after Cypress Harbour.

This last trip, we actually had a Cypress Harbour unit for our daughter and her best friend. WE checked them in at Cypress Harbour and then had a 1 bedroom at Disney's Old Key West for us - there was no comparison on room quality and comfort. Cypress Harbour had flat screen TV's and the beds are sooo much better. I actually hated going back to Old Key West because of the comfort factor. The convenience factor was better for the parks at Old Key West, but for just kicking back and relaxing I like Cypress better.

I had family over at Vistana Villages in a 3 bedroom (which was nice) and we stayed the weekend after we checked out of Old Key West at the regular Vistana resort in the Lakes section - which was nice, but it just wasn't quite the same as my favorite Marriotts in Orlando. ;)

It was an interesting trip of comparing the top resorts in Orlando and realizing I actually have a favorite - and it's Marriott.

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
littlestar -

If you are still traveling to Orlando, using the Marriott properties, you might want to maintain a small DVC contract for the AP discount and other perks?

I've thought of that, as we do buy the annual passes. But then I thought what we'd save on DVC dues would more than offset the $105 dollars a piece the DVC renewal saves on mine and my husband's annual passes.

Ggatorgirl

Reaction score
DCV vs MVCI

We own both DVC and MVCI. Hands down DVC wins! Even tho we are retired and have only 1 young grandchild, we still go to WDW at least once a year. The biggest selling point of DVC are the points. If it's just us, we cans tay at a studio on property. With the immediate family, it's a 2 bdrm, with the extended fam, it's a 3 bdrm. We have enjoyed several of the resorts and can go without difficulty at different times of the year. Trading with II is very good with the DVC points as well.

We are disappointed with MVCI because of the inability to trade internally without using II, even tho one of the biggest selling points at the presentations is all the Marriott Resorts you will have access to. The constraints of having to book at least a week and in most cases having Fri, Sat or Sun checkin does not always work. Trading with II seems haphazard, a Plt week at one resort is not equal to a Plt week at another. We cannot even book into our home resort unless we trade back into it using II. I feel like we are nickel and dimed to death with II.

Mickey is our favorite.

Last edited:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Far from the best

I don't have any experience with DVC but everything I've read here seems to indicate they are higher quality than many Marriott's. What i like about Marriott is their great selection of locations and their quality ... annual MF's are getting too high, but a necessary evil I guess.

I'm with you on the Marriott bedding -- but have noted that different places have different ideas of the Revive bedding system, with some locations much better than others. In the upscale full service Marriotts they are like sleeping on a cloud, but in others not as good -- no doubt they 'went cheap' on things like the feather beds, down pillows, etc. in some locations. Overall, however, Marriott forced their customers into 4" foam beds for years and thankfully for Westin's Heavenly Beds, Marriott had to change their ideas on bedding -- and the Revive bedding was a huge improvement IMO.

Brian

Not so. DVC has the highest prices but are far from the best quality. Unit sizes (except for the original Old Key West) are much smaller, furnishings a big step down, amenities less (but you do have Disney World all around you so if you are willing to pay there is obviously far more to do), far less locations and, as a long term lease buyer, the RTU ends thus guaranteeing no resale value in the long term. Marriott has much more upscale facilities, large units, many more locations and lower fees on average although still high for most timeshare groups.

Unless you are absolutely required to be "all Disney" the marriotts tend to be a much better choice as are many other non-Disney resorts/groups.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I've thought of that, as we do buy the annual passes. But then I thought what we'd save on DVC dues would more than offset the $105 dollars a piece the DVC renewal saves on mine and my husband's annual passes.
The dues on our smallest contract, 25 pts SSR, were $105.25 this year (25*$4.21). If that saves $105 each on two APs, offers a few random dining discounts ... and pays for a studio night or two each year ... well worth it. ;)

rach

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread really intrigues me because I have been researching Marriott Grande Vista vs. DVC (both resale). I have seen advice all over the place regarding the saturation of non Disney Orlando based timeshares and their ability to trade. That being said everyone says not to buy DVC if you plan to trade and that trading into DVC can be impossible unless it is off season. This would leave me to believe that a quality timeshare like the Marriott resorts in Orlando would be in reasonably high demand if low numbers of DVC units are available. Am I wrong? Also, I would love feedback from people who own/use both the DVC system and Orlando based Marriott resorts.

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own DVC and trade quite frequently into the Marriotts in Orlando. Of the Marriotts, Cypress Harbour is by far my favorite.

It's hard to compare DVC and Marriott because the reasons for picking one are so different. We would much rather stay at Disney because of all the benefits of being onsite. The whole party does not have to go in the park at the same time. If there are different aged children, one can easily go back to the unit for a rest, nap or swim. I love walking to Epcot from BWV and BCV. I love sitting on my balcony at BWV overlooking the Boardwalk. I love the whole atmosphere there.

When we take both sets of grandchildren we need a 3 BR. Grande Villas at DVC take too many points so we stay at one of the Marriotts or HGVC in a 3BR. Both have very nice, spacious units but we really miss being onsite.

kjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of points about DVC and MGV. One is that Bill Marriott has reportedly said that he thinks Marriott ought to set up an internal trading system having at least 100 locations. Since MVCI won't get to more than 70 locations within the next three years, other TS of "like quality" will be invited into the trading system to round out the 100 locations. IMHO DVC would probably be offered the opportunity as well as several other "like" TS companies to join the system. Whether DVC would accept this arrangement is anyone's guess but there are advantages for DVC to do it. If DVC joins it might be easier for Marriott owners to trade into DVC than at the present time.

The other point about MGV is that there are almost 400,000 members of MVCI. Marriott owners overwhelmingly tend to trade into other Marriott properties because they know the brand and what to expect. That's why it may not matter to most MVCI owners if Orlando is overbuilt or not. All of the Marriott Orlando properties could have high occupancy levels and trade well while other Orlando TS developments struggle. Marriott just announced another TS project in Orlando. If Marriott was having serious occupancy problems it is doubtful that they would risk that much cash on a turn around in the market.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
This thread really intrigues me because I have been researching Marriott Grande Vista vs. DVC (both resale). I have seen advice all over the place regarding the saturation of non Disney Orlando based timeshares and their ability to trade. That being said everyone says not to buy DVC if you plan to trade and that trading into DVC can be impossible unless it is off season. This would leave me to believe that a quality timeshare like the Marriott resorts in Orlando would be in reasonably high demand if low numbers of DVC units are available. Am I wrong? Also, I would love feedback from people who own/use both the DVC system and Orlando based Marriott resorts.

I wouldn't buy a Marriott in Orlando, but I would buy DVC. I love Marriott's Cypress Harbour and agree with the OP that CH is superior to any other resort nearby, but it is also an easy exchange with a decent trading week. I save a lot of money by trading into the Marriotts and the DVC resorts with my quality exchange weeks, and I saved a lot on the purchase, plus my maintenance fees are lower than the fees at the Marriotts (or DVC).

I would buy DVC, and plan to sometime, just for the AP discounts. $100 off per annual pass is worthy of a purchase. If I buy just 50 resale points, I can get us all annual passes for that discount, and we can stay in a one bedroom for 5 weeknights every-other-year. I know Rick will eventually let me buy those points. :D

I get DVC. I love the theming, the locations (Rick's favorite is Wilderness Lodge Villas, where we stayed last year for two consecutive weeks through exchanges and bonus weeks with II), and the transportation into the parks. I love it, but our daughter and her family just spent a week in a two-bedroom (we had a one bedroom for two weeks) at Boardwalk Villas last month, and she thought it was just okay, only slightly better than a hotel room. :eek: I loved our unit, which was two floors above hers. I appreciate all the perks and love the decor.

While we were in Orlando, we visited all the Wyndhams: Cypress Palms, Star Island, and Bonnet Creek (we actually stayed in a 3 bedroom at BC and LOVED it). Our daughter thought all of those were better than DVC. Star Island is really nice, I admit, and Bonnet Creek has very luxurious units, even the regular 3 bedroom was very nice. I understand why she liked them more, but I disagree. I would take a Disney over any of those, but I am equally happy at Cypress Harbour, I admit.

I love Cypress Harbour. Too bad I couldn't get a week there for December 4th. I took an MGV two-bedroom for that trip, and now I regret that decision because I could have had Cypress Harbour, if I would have been more patient. :( I suppose II won't switch me without another $139 fee).

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I stay at Disney (on the resort) I just rent one of the cabins at Fort Wilderness, it has its own barbque, porch, and kitchen....and I get it when they run specials for it for only $173 per night...go figure... We also do the Nick hotel, which has spacious rooms and theming onsite...for $169 a night for a 2 bedroom with a kitchen. However, mostly, I just stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in the 4 bedroom. That's another reason why my DH won't let me purchase DVC either...we stay onsite at least 1 time a year.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the replies. I think with our retirement accounts taking the beating that they are, I'm just musing about paring down and going with what I like the best.

I've even had the crazy thought of withdrawing part of our 401K money and paying off the house - which I know would be stupid. Everything just seems topsy turvy crazy right now and I keep thinking we need to be more lean and mean I guess (laughter).

Rickh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at DVC-Boardwalk and Mariott Maui. We like both for very different reasons. When we go to Disney, there is nothing like being onsite for us. We love the flexibility of staying on property and the close proximity of restaurants, night clubs and other entertainment venues. We have even done a vacation where we did not go to any of the parks and still had a great time.

We also love Marriott Maui, and have stayed in 6 or 7 different Marriotts and enjoyed each one. No question Marriott has Disney beat when it comes to the number and variety of locations and as a general statement, we have found the interior of Marriotts to be at least on par with Disney, and in many cases, higher quality.

For us, if we had no interest in the Disney Parks, we would not own DVC and would choose a Marriott or some other system like Starwood or Hyatt.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decison. You really can't go wrong, whatever you decide.

Rick

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
You might want to check into the newly announced Marriott at Grande Lakes IF you want to buy an Orlando timeshare. It's vastly different from other Marriott TS layouts ... some with two floors and others with lockoffs into two 1 bdrm suites both with kitchens. A while back they were offering nearly 1,000,000 marriott reward points over 7 years with a purchase at a fairly ? reasonable price. There were some threads on this resort if you search.

Brian

rach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I have looked at the new resort they are building but can't really justify the price in my mind considering resale properties at MGV are asking for $10-12,000 for a platinum 2BR lockout and a similiar unit at the new resort would cost 2.5 times that easily. Knowing that Marriott is building that other resort does concern me about the trading power of MGV because obviously once it opens it will clearly be the premier Marriott Orlando timeshare.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
We own both and Cypress Harbour is one of our MVCI contracts. We bought Marriott for non-Disney holidays. We very much like our Marriott but it is much less flexible and has many more nuisance fees then DVC. I believe product and service quality are comparable. DVC is more expensive and probably does a better job at creating an immersive themed environment then MVCI.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, after this last trip to Orlando, I'm seriously thinking of selling the rest of our DVC points and just staying at Marriott. The main thing I like about DVC is the location. But when it comes to the quality of the bedding, the furnishings, the TV choices, the general comfort, I really prefer Marriott Vacation Club.

Anybody else had this happen where they settle in on a system/family of resorts that you like better? With this economy, it really has me thinking about what I want the most money wise.

You're not a troll, are you? ;-). Any criticism of DVC anywhere results in a torrent of hostile posts from DVC fanatics (actually, Disney fanatics).
Hey, we very seriously condidered DVC before buying Marriott. I like the points system and the flexibility. I liked the onsite locations at WDW. We do not, however, go to WDW every day we are in Orlando. The DVC units were nice, but smaller and not as nice as Marriott. DVC really only has Orlando (and a couple others--the one in Vero Beach and Hilton Head) while Marriott is all over the place. DVC seemed, to us, to be a great choice if you want to vactation at WDW. Not as good as Marriott if you wanted to do anything else. That's why we bought Marriott.

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
After spending a week at Disney's Old Key West, I was very happy to return to Marriott"s Grande Vista Resort. MGV had customer service that made me feel valued. At Disney, when I called and asked for return directions so I could take my own car to a character breakfast, the reply was to follow thie signs. When my childen's return trip on the Magical Express was jeopardized because of a problem with someone ahead of them in the check in line, they were told that transportation is by reservation only and they would "try" to get them on the next bus. For a resort that is centered around youngsters, I found it unbelievable that my grandson got stuck between railings on their porch. Marriott resorts are nicer, units are better and customer service is far greater. That's just my experience. Even my daughter who's a Disney fanatic would much rather stay at the Marriott properties after our experience.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks for all the feedback. I have looked at the new resort they are building but can't really justify the price in my mind considering resale properties at MGV are asking for $10-12,000 for a platinum 2BR lockout and a similiar unit at the new resort would cost 2.5 times that easily. Knowing that Marriott is building that other resort does concern me about the trading power of MGV because obviously once it opens it will clearly be the premier Marriott Orlando timeshare.

Buy a week for $2,000 or less that will trade into the Marriotts whenever you want. It's a very easy exchange for any time of year, and you will save so much on the purchase price and the maintenance fees. Our North Carolina weeks have fees of $590 and get a bonus week every year with II, so $590 + $139 exchange fee, plus another $350 for the bonus week, so two weeks for a total of $1,079. TWO WEEKS!

You can even try out Disney Vacation Club through exchange, for the same cost + the $95 per week concierge/transportation fee.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buy a week for $2,000 or less that will trade into the Marriotts whenever you want. It's a very easy exchange for any time of year, and you will save so much on the purchase price and the maintenance fees. Our North Carolina weeks have fees of $590 and get a bonus week every year with II, so $590 + $139 exchange fee, plus another $350 for the bonus week, so two weeks for a total of $1,079. TWO WEEKS!

You can even try out Disney Vacation Club through exchange, for the same cost + the $95 per week concierge/transportation fee.

Hi Cindy,

What I like about owning our little EOY Horizons Branson is that we do get some priority on room locations with Marriott when we trade in - even when we do Getaway weeks via II - Marriott every time has gave me a good location that I requested. So there is a pecking order for Marriott owners. I would think a west coast Marriott lock off would give you the same thing, too. With an EOY and a lock off, you can do pretty well money wise with Marriott if you want to be frugal.

If I was a Marriott sales rep right now (with this economy) I would be pushing a strategy like EOY and a lock off for people that are holding onto their money tight, but still want a Marriott developer purchase (laughter).

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're not a troll, are you? ;-). Any criticism of DVC anywhere results in a torrent of hostile posts from DVC fanatics (actually, Disney fanatics).
Hey, we very seriously condidered DVC before buying Marriott. I like the points system and the flexibility. I liked the onsite locations at WDW. We do not, however, go to WDW every day we are in Orlando. The DVC units were nice, but smaller and not as nice as Marriott. DVC really only has Orlando (and a couple others--the one in Vero Beach and Hilton Head) while Marriott is all over the place. DVC seemed, to us, to be a great choice if you want to vactation at WDW. Not as good as Marriott if you wanted to do anything else. That's why we bought Marriott.

Nope, not a troll (laughter - :rofl: ) I think I'm just getting older and want comfort above all else. The DVC resorts are very strong on their theming. Probably my favorite for theming would have to be Disney's Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

I've been a DVC member since early 2002 and our family is changing - getting older. Our kids no longer have trouble renting a car in Orlando because of their age. And they really enjoy staying in a 1 bedroom or larger vs. the studios at Disney.

Don't get me wrong, I still like DVC. But with this economy, I've been asking myself what I like best for the money overall.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Well we are huge Disney fans (300+ visits to DL, 6 visits to WDW and 51 to DLP). We considered DVC and Marriott for many years before we bought at MArriott. We came to the conclusion that DVC only makes sense if you want to keep going to Disney World. For us living in Europe (and finding WDW a lower quality than the other Disney parks around the globe), Marriott was a better buy.

I find the Marriott properties are more spacious and luxurious than the DVC ones, and the resorts we have stayed at (Ile de France, Son Antem and Newport Coast) are nearly as well themed.

as a lifelong Disney fan, it pains me to say, Marriott is better. If people are going to stay as a couple - just get a room, but don't be beholden to them. Also, the quality at WDW has been going steadily downhill for at least 8 years, whereas I find Ile de France has been getting better and better.