• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of Selling my DVC Because I like Marriott Better

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We have always gotten our requests at Cypress Harbour, even though we aren't Marriott owners. We also got our request of a brand new unit at MGV this past May. Marriott is very good to exchangers, which is one reason why I love them so much. If they change, and they don't cater to exchangers requests that aren't owners, I might consider a purchase sometime, just for that reason.

There are so many great resorts in Orlando, I cannot imagine buying there. I would buy into a points system like Hilton or Wyndham, but I wouldn't buy a week because the value of that week would be so diminished by the Getaways and Extra Vacations.

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold my DVC and brought Horizon Branson. I didn't have problem trading into DVC in Spring Break or Summer for a studio. IF we have DVC, we would have to stay in studio because we only have a small point package. Horizon Branson allows me to have priority in Marriott and be able to trade into DVC. DVC is getting easier to trade in if you are not picky... SSR is always in sighting..

David10225

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony Beach
We sold our Old Key West DVC that we had from when they were still giving free park passes this year to buy Marriott Barony Beach. I'll still go to Disney, but probably only 3 days at a time and will stay in the low end on site locations like Pop Century...I'm really just there to visit the parks. My kids are all in college and it doesn't hold the same allure anymore:) We do love Hilton head and after we couldn't get into the DVC location there two years in a row, we knew it was time to sell and buy something we were guaranteed to have every year at Hilton Head...

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Wow! It's amazing to hear negatives about DVC- most of the owners rave so much. I have to say our friends stayed at the DVC at Hilton Head and it was not very nice. Rooms very dark and small with poor furnishings, and the utensils in the kitchen were paper plates and plastic spoons. Also not near the beach at all.

We were considering buying at Bay Lake Towers but with the current economic situation we won't be doing this anytime soon. Does anyone know how the sales are going there? Also with all the recent posts complaining about DVC and the loss of it's famous flexibility I don't think it's such the temptation it once was.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
rhonda: Is it true Warner Springs units have no kitchen?

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
Wow! It's amazing to hear negatives about DVC- most of the owners rave so much. I have to say our friends stayed at the DVC at Hilton Head and it was not very nice. Rooms very dark and small with poor furnishings, and the utensils in the kitchen were paper plates and plastic spoons. Also not near the beach at all.

We were considering buying at Bay Lake Towers but with the current economic situation we won't be doing this anytime soon. Does anyone know how the sales are going there? Also with all the recent posts complaining about DVC and the loss of it's famous flexibility I don't think it's such the temptation it once was.

Your friends stayed in a studio. The larger units have a complete kitchen with the normal utensils. The dark is consistent with the HH theme -- a 1940s South Carolina "Low Country" hunting and fishing lodge. You are correct about the lodge not being on the beach, but they have a beach house and a shuttle that operates between the two. If you want the entire resort to be on the beach then it will not be to your liking.

We find DVC to be much more flexible then MVCI. The points program allows a member to alter size of unit, time of year, length of stay and location easily. We bought MVCI because we like the brand and its locations sufficiently to forgo the flexibility and endure the nuisance fees.

Bay Lake Towers will have a very strong draw being adjacent to Magic Kingdom and being on the monorail. DVC announced BLT and the Tree-house Villas at SSR. The CA resort is under construction as is Hawaii. I guess they are confident that they can weather the economic cycle. They may also have sufficient liquidity to handle the financing of sales in-house.

I gather that much of the change is the result of evolving family needs and travel patterns.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Jimc,

I agree the DVC sounds very flexible- we were very interested in BLT as a result. I was just surprised to see any complaints about DVC because most of the owners love it so much. But with the economy going down the tubes we aren't looking to buy any DVC points anytime soon. Maybe sometime in the future if things improve.

tlwmkw

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Its only for those that must have everything Disney

Jimc,

I agree the DVC sounds very flexible- we were very interested in BLT as a result. I was just surprised to see any complaints about DVC because most of the owners love it so much. But with the economy going down the tubes we aren't looking to buy any DVC points anytime soon. Maybe sometime in the future if things improve.

tlwmkw

Owners of DVC tend to turn a blind eye to the resort units, concentrate on the themed common areas and want to believe they are the best as that is what the fees and cost to own RTU there seems to indicate. The cost may be some of the highest in timeshare but the quality and unit size isn't close to the top. Yes, the common area theme they do may be the best but you can enjoy that as a guest - no need to own. If you MUST have Disney it's the only way to go. But as you have read above the allure fades for many reasons but the costs last until the RTU ends or you sell. Don't be fooled into the thinking that you can always sell for what you paid as that too is a myth fostered by the believers. As the years left dwindle so do the resale values.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Owners of DVC tend to turn a blind eye to the resort units, concentrate on the themed common areas and want to believe they are the best as that is what the fees and cost to own RTU there seems to indicate. The cost may be some of the highest in timeshare but the quality and unit size isn't close to the top. Yes, the common area theme they do may be the best but you can enjoy that as a guest - no need to own. If you MUST have Disney it's the only way to go. But as you have read above the allure fades for many reasons but the costs last until the RTU ends or you sell. Don't be fooled into the thinking that you can always sell for what you paid as that too is a myth fostered by the believers. As the years left dwindle so do the resale values.

I have been to several timeshares and I would agree that the units themselves are not the top but they are close (I own DVC). But the location and flexibility is the best for WDW and the theme is the best.f you are going to Disney in Orlando frequently, I still believe it to be worth the cost. I also visited DVC Vero Beach and that was quite nice as well.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
All of this is relative to what you want in a vacation. And how those desires change over time. Much of this thread has an undercurrent of changing family travel preferences. There is also the evolving DVC product -- gaining a sufficient number of members who are beginning to swap out of DVC for other destinations. That has opened up more DVC inventory to the II membership; making it easier to trade in.

Disney is the very best at creating themes and storytelling. The themes are not just in the common areas, but throughout the entire resort. My observation is that a non-staying visitor is there primarily to swim and/or eat and may spend a bit of time in the lobby and gift shop. That just scratches the surface.

Most folks, even most DVCers, don't fully appreciate the underlying stories or recognize the importance of the details. It is the attention to detail that we enjoy.

And I suspect you will find the DVC segment who spends time on forums such as these are very aware of what they own and what future values are likely to be. If you want on property, do not stay at the value resorts, and will regularly visit WDW; then DVC is likely the best way to do it.

Marriott is extremely consistent in service and product quality. I use them almost exclusively for business travel. We consider MVCI and DVC to be comparable in quality -- very high but not top shelf (excluding the Ritz portion of Marriott which arguably is top shelf). Marriott costs us much less then DVC to buy and own, and is in many more locations.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
. . . Marriott is extremely consistent in service and product quality. I use them almost exclusively for business travel. We consider MVCI and DVC to be comparable in quality -- very high but not top shelf (excluding the Ritz portion of Marriott which arguably is top shelf). Marriott costs us much less then DVC to buy and own, and is in many more locations.

Our Marriott definitely costs us less than the comparable DVC does for staying in 1 or 2 bedrooms. With the economy being what it is, I originally posted this thread because I've really been thinking about quality and value and what's the best for us for the money. Not that I don't like DVC, I do. But for the overall comfort and value, if we end up having to make a choice of one or the other in a tight economy, Marriott has the edge.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
rhonda: Is it true Warner Springs units have no kitchen?
Only one unit at Warner Springs has a kitchen (the 3BR unit) -- so, "True!" for the most part. It is a different kind of place, certainly.