• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking Of Going To Cabo San Lucas

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not tried to make an exchange as of yet but would love to go to Cabo San Lucas. If anyone has exchanged into the area recently would you let me know what resort to ask for and also which unit or building to request. We have a pretty good trader and I think we could get something decent if I knew which one to ask for . Looking mostly for beautiful pools on the grounds, good food and some evening entertainment at the resort. We are young 60 year olds but we do not want to drink or boogie downtown at night. Love enenings to relax, not party, and awake early in the morning to sit and drink coffee while watching the sunrise. Can you help me out??:rolleyes:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should probably post this on the Mexico board.

KarenL

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are lots of nice resorts in Cabo San Lucas, but we really love our resort, Playa Grande. It is on the Pacific side, so while the beach is beautiful, it is unsafe to swim. However, Playa Grande has made up for this with beautiful pools and jacuzzis.
It is right off the Marina, just a short walk to lots of nice restaurants. Their restaurant is nice, but, as of last June, there is just the one for dinner. They have a breakfast buffet in the morning, or you can brew your own coffee and enjoy it on your balcony.
Have a wonderful time
Karen
PS You will likely get more responses after you move this to the Mexico board.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are lots of nice resorts in Cabo San Lucas, but we really love our resort, Playa Grande. It is on the Pacific side, so while the beach is beautiful, it is unsafe to swim. However, Playa Grande has made up for this with beautiful pools and jacuzzis.
It is right off the Marina, just a short walk to lots of nice restaurants. Their restaurant is nice, but, as of last June, there is just the one for dinner. They have a breakfast buffet in the morning, or you can brew your own coffee and enjoy it on your balcony.
Have a wonderful time
Karen
PS You will likely get more responses after you move this to the Mexico board.
Playa Grande is on Playa Solmar. Finisterra and Solmar are also on Playa Solmar.

If swimming in the ocean is not important to you, Playa Solmar is a nice location. It's convenient to the Cabo San Lucas marina and downtown area - an easy walk. Playa Solmar is much less crowded than Playa Medano, which is the main playa in Cabo San Lucas. Playa Solmar is also not clogged with vendors and timeshare hucksters. Much more quiet and relaxing.

I also think that Playa Solmar is a prettier setting, with the Pedregal cliffs rising over the beach.

An added note to help orient yourself. Los Cabos is actually two towns: San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. They are about 20 to 30 miles apart, and the stretch of coastline between them is known as "The Corridor". There are resorts in both towns and in The Corridor.

SJdC is a bit more laid back and has a bit more of a traditional Mexican town atmosphere. CSL is newer and, IMHO, has more of a gringo spring break atmosphere. CSL is where you are more like to see US fast food franchises and where there are night clubs such as Squid Roe, Giggling Marlin, and Hard Rock Cafe.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
OOps! I realize that I posted this on the wrong board. Thanks to those of you who were so kind to reply.....but would someone please move this to the Mexico Board. Thank you

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
The cave dweller is correct about Los Cabos. We stayed at the Hilton Resort Los Cabos on a redemption through HGVC. However, we saw many nice quiet resorts in the vicinity. Two resorts to carefully consider are Fiesta Americana Los Cabos and Club Regina at the Westin.

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Son and his bride recently returned from Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach. They were really impressed with the resort (which was recommended by others on this BBS).

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I think you would enjoy any of the Pueblo Bonitos. The Rose and Blanco are right next to each other on Medano beach, the safe swimmable beach with all the water activities and vendors. Both are within walking distance to town.

Since PB inventory is supposedly withheld for owners until 180 days of start date, you might have to wait until 6 mos. out to see the Rose or Blanco online. Sunset Beach is actively selling and there is developer inventory available to trade farther out than 6 mos., so it's usually easier to trade into it. They trade with RCI.

When you stay at one PB, you can use the facilities of all of them and charge meals and drinks to your room from any of the restaurants.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys ~ I think I'll put in a search for any one of the PB resorts on your recommendations. They all look beautiful and we do trade through RCI. Is a two bedroom difficult to get on a trade? And do any of the PB resorts face the ocean? or are those room saved only for owners?

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cabo

I own at Sunset Beach and love it there. It is away from the crowds, but if you wish to go downtown, just jump on the free shuttle and you are there in 10 minutes. I think it now has 5 pools and 3 restaurants. Very good food at all 3. The high end one Frida's has won many awards for their food. Conde Nast rated it as one of the nicest resorts in Mexico. I have stayed at a few other resorts in Cabo which were also nice but the service just didn't compare to any of the Pueblos. One resort that has been mentioned on this board a lot is Playa Grande. Wonderful rooms and grounds, however the service around the pool area was terrible, so much so my wife requested we don't go back. Solmar on the other hand was wonderful and they are owned by the same company, go figure.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks Guys ~ I think I'll put in a search for any one of the PB resorts on your recommendations. They all look beautiful and we do trade through RCI. Is a two bedroom difficult to get on a trade? And do any of the PB resorts face the ocean? or are those room saved only for owners?

I think you'd have a better chance of getting a 2-bedroom at Sunset Beach as it's a larger resort and has more 2-bedroom units. It would be very rare to get a 2-bedroom at the other two PB resorts on an exchange. But all three resorts are on the beach and face the ocean. I think every unit at SB has an ocean view as it's built on a hillside and is very spread out. It's the largest of the three resorts & may very well be the largest resort in Cabo.

You can't swim in the ocean at Sunset Beach because it's on the Pacific side and there are dangerous undertows and strong surf. The other two PB's are next to each other on Medano Beach where you can swim in the ocean. Of course, even if you are at SB, you can easily get to the other two resorts on the free shuttle if you wanted to swim in the ocean.

kcir/boston

Reaction score
cabo san lucas

how about the grand mayan palace in cabo...anyone with reviews please post. thank you

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
how about the grand mayan palace in cabo...anyone with reviews please post. thank you
There are nine reviews of this property in the TUG review section which is accessible to TUG members.

mjhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Puerto Vallarta
Just want to second the suggestions and recommendations about Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach as a fine fit for your original description of your "wants". My wife and I are owners, let me say right off (I am an active 72, she a spirited 57 yrs.)
We "own" a two bedroom/two bath Presidential unit. Our last visit was this past February; we stayed in Villa 27, which is right in the middle of the resort, just a one minute walk from the main building (where two of the restaurants are as well as the spa/fitness center, concierge desk, small store, shuttle to town.) It has a quiet pool right behind it (you feel like it's your private spot) plus it has elevators (not all Villas do.) All units at PBSB have an ocean view and large balcony; in the winter months, you get both sunrise and sunset from most of the balconies. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the comments on TripAdvisor.com. They are pretty much right on. Oh, in addition, I want to say that we only left the resort grounds twice during the week; otherwise we relaxed totally and completely on the site (and watched the whale migration only a hundred or so yards offshore from our balcony, among other things. ) An added bonus: the resort employees we encountered, without exception, were incredibly friendly and helpful; they all seem to be very happy to be there, too. And, no, I don't get a commission from Pueblo Bonito! Just great anticipation of our return visit again this coming February.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cabo probably has the most grand resorts in Mexico. Lots of them are terrific.

I just came back from Grand Mayan and Hacinda Encanta (can't spell it right). You can go wrong with either of them. GM is more family and HE suitable for a romantic holiday.

There is a new one MBE (can't recall the name) with II, just beside PB Rose. This one should be ideal if your prefer a location near the town.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a new one MBE (can't recall the name) with II, just beside PB Rose. This one should be ideal if your prefer a location near the town.
That new one is the Casa Dorada on Medano Beach. It's actually next to the Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos (also called the Blanco because it's mostly white and it sits next to the Pueblo Bonito Rose which is pink).

On the other side of the Casa Dorada on Medano Beach is a resort called ME Cabo. It used to be known as the Melia or the Cabo Beach and Tennis Club, I think, though I never did see where the tennis courts were. It once was an ugly mustard color, but with it's new name and renovations it is a lovely tan color. I think it used to have some timeshare units, but it seems to be a hotel now--not sure of all the details.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks.......I love the idea of the units facing the beach. And I believe that I will try for the PB Sunset Beach since you feel we might get a 2 BR for an exchange. I would probably screw up so many vacations if it were not for the help of my TUGGER family. Thank you so much

Rmelnyk

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking Cabo, my daughter was wondering about drinking the water anymore? How much wine can you take in from the USA.
Or should I post a new thread?
Thanks

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
The water is drinkable - It's desalinated sea water.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Solmar

Solmar Suites are nice, not a Ritz Carlton, but very nice and a great location
close to the Marina.

carlrocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going for the beach its cool in Cabo in FEB.

:eek: I was in Cabo last Feb 1 thru 8. It was very cool. High 50s to mid 70s. Certainly not beach weather. Check the past weather to make sure the temps you desire match your expetations.

ladycody

TUG Member
Reaction score
:eek: I was in Cabo last Feb 1 thru 8. It was very cool. High 50s to mid 70s. Certainly not beach weather. Check the past weather to make sure the temps you desire match your expetations.

I was there from Jan 26th-Feb 4th of 08 and while we had a few cool nights.... virtually all the days were great for lounging by/in the pool or under the cabanas on the beach. And our first few days were downright hot. After that, it was milder which made it nice for walking and sightseeing but it was still plenty nice enough to lounge poolside. We stayed in SJD though...and the wind seemed a bit milder than in Cabo which may have made a difference. :shrug:

Came sooooooo close to buying at Sunset Beach. (sigh).....

lbertera

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners at Solmar. It is the oldest timeshare in Cabo San Lucas. The units are clean and well mantained but not fancy. We love Solmar, it is very laid back and informal.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Club Casa Dorada Beach Resort

We have not tried to make an exchange as of yet but would love to go to Cabo San Lucas. If anyone has exchanged into the area recently would you let me know what resort to ask for and also which unit or building to request. We have a pretty good trader and I think we could get something decent if I knew which one to ask for . Looking mostly for beautiful pools on the grounds, good food and some evening entertainment at the resort. We are young 60 year olds but we do not want to drink or boogie downtown at night. Love enenings to relax, not party, and awake early in the morning to sit and drink coffee while watching the sunrise. Can you help me out??:rolleyes:

I own 4 weeks at the Club Casa Dorada Beach & Golf Resort (Managed by Dreams), not to be confused with the one on Medano Beach or the one managed by Hilton. All units are oceanview or Oceanfront. If you get into this via RCI, there is a mandatory all inclusive. But if you are an owner, then AI becomes optional and the AI rate is reasonable as well. The food is excellent in AI and they serve brand name alcohol if you ask for it. Ocean is not swimmable. We always have a great time at this place as everything is top notch. We take 5 days of AI and keep two days to explore outside restaurants. This is located in the corridor, but free shuttle to the town is provided.