• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of buying resale - for USA/Canada usage but Maybe Asia too

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation - 2 platinums, Wyndham - 1 week, WorldMark 2 weeks
Was looking at Diamond as just came up on my radar. Did I read it right though that resale points only are good at the resort you bought them for? Any info would be appreciated before I dig any deeper. Not into same place each year as like to the flexibility to move around.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Was looking at Diamond as rumor says they might try to buy out my Hilton timeshares. Did I read it right though that resale points only are good at the resort you bought them for? Any info would be appreciated before I dig any deeper. Not into same place each year as like to the flexibility to move around.
IMO don’t buy on speculation of an acquisition. You never know how or if it will ever affect your ownership. Buy into a system resale that allows you to go to locations you want to go to. Also think about exit strategy (ease of reselling).

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation - 2 platinums, Wyndham - 1 week, WorldMark 2 weeks
IMO don’t buy on speculation of an acquisition. You never know how or if it will ever affect your ownership. Buy into a system resale that allows you to go to locations you want to go to. Also think about exit strategy (ease of reselling).

I have Wyndham, WorldMark, and Hilton - didn't see any Diamond yet. Now looked and is lots of locations so might buy. I travel 3 months a year so need more places always to see. Any advice on how to buy etc would be nice - tytyt

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have Wyndham, WorldMark, and Hilton - didn't see any Diamond yet. Now looked and is lots of locations so might buy. I travel 3 months a year so need more places always to see. Any advice on how to buy etc would be nice - tytyt
What about Marriott? They have a ton of locations and pretty high trading power in interval.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted in the other recent thread as well. Basically, if you buy resale US Collections, you can use the points at any US Collections weeks in the system. (YOu can search the web to find all the resort.) There is also a Hawaii Collection. The problem with Diamond is their very high maintenance fees. I have found that purchasing resale and then making a developer purchase is the best way to go. "The Club" is where you can reserve any available Diamond unit. To be part of The Club, you have to purchase from the developer. But you can make a small purchase.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Was looking at Diamond as just came up on my radar. Did I read it right though that resale points only are good at the resort you bought them for? Any info would be appreciated before I dig any deeper. Not into same place each year as like to the flexibility to move around.

Resale (aka "dirty) points can only be used in the "Collection" they reside in. In one case (Latino Collection), there is only 1 resort (Cabo Azul). In another case (US Collection) there are about 55 resorts the points can be used in. Other collections have numbers somewhere in between. There is no collection that covers all of the geographical areas you mention in the title.