• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking about an all-inclusive vacation

cookie

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about an all-inclusive vacation. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they are a good value?

For any with experience, do you recommend any resorts?

Thanks for your input.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Might help more if you posted the area you wish to go to.
The AI vs Non AI issue is a very debatable issue among travelers. WE frequently do AI and find we get our monies worth and more. We also find it makes our vacation more relaxing as no real decision making. We do not hesitate to even go out to an offsite restaurant a few times during our stay if we so desire or want to check out a new place etc. Some AI's include much more than just your meals and drinks, like stocked kitchens, 24 hour room service, valet parking, and the list goes on. The higher priced ones are generally much better for the most part. You get what you pay for I guess.

We find unless we really scrimped on eating and drinking we either end up breaking even or a tad ahead with AI. Then again depends on where you are going, taxi rates and such.

Might be able to help you more if you give a bit more info, like where you were thinking of going? Where you were thinking of staying etc? Good luck!

cookie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're open. I'm leaning leaning very slighty toward Cancun but anywhere would be nice. I've never been to Mexico except to Baja for a mission with our church.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved my AI experience at Club Velas Vallarta in Puerta Vallarta! Was it worth it...for us it was, as we got great service, great food and didn't have to come out of pocket for much. However, we could have saved some $$ if we went non-AI, but I wouldn't have spoiled myself half as much.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If you are considering AI, look at RCI Last Call or Extra Vacations rather than exchange a timeshare week you own. With an exchange, you are giving up a week you've paid maintenance fees on, paying an exchange fee, and then paying the AI on top of all that. You will probably end of paying more than if you just bought the AI outright through a travel agent or some other source. Just consider all your options--it may make sense to do an exchange but it very well may not.

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are considering AI, look at RCI Last Call or Extra Vacations rather than exchange a timeshare week you own. With an exchange, you are giving up a week you've paid maintenance fees on, paying an exchange fee, and then paying the AI on top of all that. You will probably end of paying more than if you just bought the AI outright through a travel agent or some other source. Just consider all your options--it may make sense to do an exchange but it very well may not.

Karen has a good point. Also you may want to try renting from an owner at an AI resort as they usually get much cheaper AI fees than exchangers. For example I own at many AI resorts but it is optional as an owner and way cheaper, like half. Velas since mentioned above is one I own at, another is in Mazatlan at Royal Villas.

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved my AI experience at Club Velas Vallarta in Puerta Vallarta! Was it worth it...for us it was, as we got great service, great food and didn't have to come out of pocket for much. However, we could have saved some $$ if we went non-AI, but I wouldn't have spoiled myself half as much.

You are so right, you definately would not have been spoiled half as much if non AI, as well as the fact that if you want gourmet or nice view restaurants etc., or drink even margaritas, well for the most part PV dining is pretty hefty in price and then you must factor in cab fare or bus ( that is real cheap).

Club Velas has a great AI, and Casa Velas an even better one LOL. We go there often. We own 3 units so we definately with the reduced Ai get our monies worth!

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're open. I'm leaning leaning very slighty toward Cancun but anywhere would be nice. I've never been to Mexico except to Baja for a mission with our church.

I think the first thing to do is decide where you want to go? Do some research on the different parts of Mexico ie: Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, etc. Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Mazatlan, Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo, Acapulco, Cabo, Huatulco, etc. Then you can see what is available AI or non AI and then post regarding and such.

How are you doing this trip exchange, rental, etc??? I possibly might have rentals in area you choose.....PM me if you like when you decide!!:hi:

cookie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got lots of weeks to exchange.

Last year I had to give a week away or lose it.

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got lots of weeks to exchange.

Last year I had to give a week away or lose it.

Same with me....my kids ( adults) are sure lucking out and friends as well LOL...
too many timeshares....called an addiction on my part!!!

dukebigtom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my experience, it is not worth it to exchange into an AI. Call your local travel agent and book a charter and you will do just as well if not better.

The info about renting from an owner is new to me. I may want to check that out in the future.

BigTom

lifestylehvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen has a good point. Also you may want to try renting from an owner at an AI resort as they usually get much cheaper AI fees than exchangers. For example I own at many AI resorts but it is optional as an owner and way cheaper, like half. Velas since mentioned above is one I own at, another is in Mazatlan at Royal Villas.

Pammex is right the AI resort I have, trading in would be 2 times as much and with alot less ammenities. All-inclusives are a great way to go in a lot of countries for example you dont have to take a taxi to the store and no cooking especially if you go as a group its not much of a vacation cooking for 4 to 10 people and 3 meals a day and drinks gets expensive

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
RCI has (or had) cheapish exchanges into the Palace resorts (Sun Palace, Aventura Spa Palace, etc) for high season 2009. We exchanged into Sun Palace for late Feb for an AI fee of just over $1,200 per couple which I think is reasonable. Our maint fee for the week we traded was only $220. Not the best bargain on the planet but I don't feel we are losing anything either. They do not seem to advertise this so just call.

brother coony

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed at the Place Resort AI in Cancun Love it but was still not worth the AI fee,
Stayed at the Lifestyle Villas in Domonican Republic, AI fees was good, had fun but Resort did not have the amenites, to match the fees,
Stayed at Sandals Grande Sport in Jamaica, fantastic price,best food and service of all three, service and food and drinks was worth twice what I paid for AI, LOVED it, trying to get back:cheer:
bc

cookie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The club velas resorts look to die for. I can only imagine all the pampering. My husband and I are adding it to our list of dream vacations...after the kids are done with college so we have a bigger vacation budget. A bit out of my budget at the moment. I am kind of shocked at the air fare as well.

Last edited:

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
The club velas resorts look to die for. I can only imagine all the pampering. My husband and I are adding it to our list of dream vacations...after the kids are done with college so we have a bigger vacation budget. A bit out of my budget at the moment. I am kind of shocked at the air fare as well.

The Palace resort chains have a great AI. I stayed at Playacar Palace last year and though the AI was quite high it was definately worth it and we did all the free tours included.

Velas well what can I say.....one of my favorites, and we do not even have to do the AI yet we do as it is so great. I am headed to Club and Casa Velas in Jan 2009.

Sorry you feel you have to add to a dream vacation...life is short....
How much was the flight to PV from Texas? I know flights have gone kind of crazy. Feel free to PM me if you like, maybe as a renter from an owner you could actually afford it, who knows.