• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

They're Closing Doors in 2021

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This article could have been a lot shorter if they had named which chains are not closing any of their stores. :)

To be honest, the only brand mentioned that I was sad to see closing some of its stores was Tim Hortons and they have had a very limited presence in the US. It is only when I travel that I am somewhere where they have one of their stores.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I wonder how many of those chains are owned by the same parent corporations? Closing unproductive locations seems smart with any such organization.

Dave

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I am surprised that some of those chains have survived this long. Many of them that had locations in the Seattle area disappeared years ago. And while I'd love to see Starbucks go poof, I highly doubt that is a possibility - at least in the near future. When you can find two of them on a single block, you have to wonder if they aren't playing the 'business loss' game for tax reasons.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am surprised that some of those chains have survived this long. Many of them that had locations in the Seattle area disappeared years ago. And while I'd love to see Starbucks go poof, I highly doubt that is a possibility - at least in the near future. When you can find two of them on a single block, you have to wonder if they aren't playing the 'business loss' game for tax reasons.

Or maybe they're trying to meet customer demand? When they charge twice as much for a cup of coffee as the area charges for a gallon of gas, and they still have dozens of people waiting in line to buy that beverage, there is a certain Golden Goose they've captured. I know the two Starbucks locations across the street from each other in Westlake Center in downtown Seattle have always been extremely busy. :shrug:

Dave

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this article is overstating the decline of many of these chains. I think a lot of locations are likely closing due to COVID and some regionality, but many are still going strong in most areas. We really like Bojangles and they are actually adding stores in Columbus. Roy Rogers is coming back to Cincinnati. We like Carraba's better than the other Italian chains and they do a nice job on carryout. I was sad to see the one in Hilton Head close due to Covid.

Bonefish Grill used to be the best seafood chain, and their restaurants near Singer Island and on Hilton Head were usually very good. However, I noticed a decline in quality consistency over the past few years, so I can see why many are closing. Boston Market was our favorite carryout because they offered healthier options with good vegetable sides. I think over expansion and Rotisserie chicken at grocery stores did them in. We miss Papa Murphy in Ohio because they always provided good quality and value, and the ability to cook them at home.

I really don't miss most of the others. Marie Callendars were really good when Clorox owned them in the 80's, but I haven't seen any in the past 10 years.

Note: Did anyone else notice the Penn Station ads in this article? I think it was not very smart to have these adds embedded in an article with closing restaurants. Their media buyer sort of screwed up.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We just got a Noodles and Company near my house. We tried it for dinner one night, just all right.. I probably won't be back.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I noticed that neither Krispy Kreme nor Dunkin' was listed.
IOW, the demand for fast-food donuts is robust.

geekette

Reaction score
We just got a Noodles and Company near my house. We tried it for dinner one night, just all right.. I probably won't be back.
I like the place. My faves are a crunchy chicken parm and the soup is I think coconut curry. I miss having one nearby. Partly why I can’t quite remember the chicken parm name except I like it (not a tomato sauce thing, I think Alfredo)

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Or maybe they're trying to meet customer demand? When they charge twice as much for a cup of coffee as the area charges for a gallon of gas, and they still have dozens of people waiting in line to buy that beverage, there is a certain Golden Goose they've captured. I know the two Starbucks locations across the street from each other in Westlake Center in downtown Seattle have always been extremely busy. :shrug:

Dave

I will certainly admit that Starbucks has done a great marketing job and has created a huge demand for coffee. That a location appears to be busy doesn't mean that they are profitable. Most locations are tiny and purposely designed so people have to wait a few minutes in line, then linger until their order has been prepared. If they had operations even half the size of a restaurant many locations would look woefully empty. Duplicating all the equipment, signage, and management has to eat into profits to a huge degree. Of course, buying all the coffee joints that were better, then closing them doesn't hurt to herd people to your doors either.

Brett

Reaction score
I didn't scroll though all of the "restaurants on the brink of disappearing" but I think most will actually survive

Did they mention Hardees ? That fast food place seems to be disappearing in Virginia

geekette

Reaction score
I didn't scroll though all of the "restaurants on the brink of disappearing" but I think most will actually survive

Did they mention Hardees ? That fast food place seems to be disappearing in Virginia
I didn’t see Hardee’s, but I remember when they long ago gobbled up Burger Chef.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I will certainly admit that Starbucks has done a great marketing job and has created a huge demand for coffee. That a location appears to be busy doesn't mean that they are profitable. Most locations are tiny and purposely designed so people have to wait a few minutes in line, then linger until their order has been prepared. If they had operations even half the size of a restaurant many locations would look woefully empty. Duplicating all the equipment, signage, and management has to eat into profits to a huge degree. Of course, buying all the coffee joints that were better, then closing them doesn't hurt to herd people to your doors either.

I can't disagree with your assessment. The simple response would be for dissatisfied consumers to vote with their feet. But they don't - they wait in those lines, they order ahead for pickup, and they line up their cars out the end of the parking lot to wait their turn. So something must be working, for someone. I think for Starbucks it's more than marketing hype - if people didn't like the product, they wouldn't buy it. There are other brands out there, (in Seattle, places like Peet's and Tony's come to mind), and they all seem to be doing a brisk business.

I think with places as small as most coffee stands are, and prices for fancy coffee as high as they are, there has to be a profit being made, or the places would simply shut down. There would be no long term benefit to operate at a loss. As coffee-making machines get fancier, and more automated, there is less work for the barista to do, but prices continue to climb. Where does the consumerism end?

Dave

geekette

Reaction score
I can't disagree with your assessment. The simple response would be for dissatisfied consumers to vote with their feet. But they don't - they wait in those lines, they order ahead for pickup, and they line up their cars out the end of the parking lot to wait their turn. So something must be working, for someone. I think for Starbucks it's more than marketing hype - if people didn't like the product, they wouldn't buy it. There are other brands out there, (in Seattle, places like Peet's and Tony's come to mind), and they all seem to be doing a brisk business.

I think with places as small as most coffee stands are, and prices for fancy coffee as high as they are, there has to be a profit being made, or the places would simply shut down. There would be no long term benefit to operate at a loss. As coffee-making machines get fancier, and more automated, there is less work for the barista to do, but prices continue to climb. Where does the consumerism end?

Dave
Great post!

as a shareholder, yes, something works for them and passes along to me. Since I rarely buy the stuff, my tiny position pays more in divs than I spend there. Keep drinking folks, mama needs a pickup truck…

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great post!

as a shareholder, yes, something works for them and passes along to me. Since I rarely buy the stuff, my tiny position pays more in divs than I spend there. Keep drinking folks, mama needs a pickup truck…

You're welcome. ;) I like quality coffee drinks, so I'm one of the unwashed masses waiting in those lines. When we moved here to small-town Lizard, Nevada, (aka Mesquite), I was horrified to find there was only one Starbucks in town. They're trying to get better at their work, but Covid really threw a wrench into their franchise. As things have gotten better, they've stepped up their game. They're still slow as molasses about making things, but the product they make is good as anything I had at a Starbucks in Seattle. (Where good coffee is the LAW... ;))

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Do not like or ever drink goopy coffee like drinks. Not even a simple Latte. I drink coffee straight up. I find Starbucks Coffee much too bitter straight up.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I do a homemade blend of Jamaican Blue Mtn. and French Vanilla (3:1).
Beans from Fresh Market.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Starbucks fan. I try to order a cappuccino and almost always get a drink very heavy with milk, more milk than should even be in a latte. Their baristas are just not that good.

That having been said, I do appreciate Starbucks for having initiated a national trend towards expresso drinks. If it had not been for them, I am not sure the craze would have ever caught on.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm not a Starbucks fan. I try to order a cappuccino and almost always get a drink very heavy with milk, more milk than should even be in a latte. Their baristas are just not that good.

That having been said, I do appreciate Starbucks for having initiated a national trend towards expresso drinks. If it had not been for them, I am not sure the craze would have ever caught on.

I find if you want milk in a drink, you need to be very specific about what you want, or you'll get something less than you expected. Their baristas have been pushed to get the product out to the waiting customer, not to take time to make the drink in its purest form. Starbucks is the McDonalds of coffee companies.

I appreciate that Starbucks offers something for everyone. I don't like "goopy" drinks (Love than term @geist1223!) I drink mine as Americano - hot, strong, and full-flavored. (At home we brew a strong French Roast coffee, and it's well-received by everyone who tries it.) Those fancy drinks with recipe names 47 words long do nothing for me. My sister in law orders that kind of things, something that I still can't repeat, involving terms that make my head spin. The only part I remember is that it includes the term "upside down." What does that even mean? :D

Dave

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My dislikes of Starbucks are a few. First, as I've mentioned, they bought then closed (or turned into another Starbucks) coffee joints that had better coffee. Torrefozzioni (sp) was a small Seattle roaster with a couple of locations. Their coffee was excellent, and it was a sad day when they told me they'd sold out to Starbucks. Starbucks over roasts their beans to the point where there is a slight bitter edge that I really don't like. Except their Christmas blend, that one is pretty good. Then - and now that I travel, this is a concern - the experience from one to another can be very different. I think Starbucks in the USA is fairly standardized, but the location in Gare du Nord in Paris doesn't even have wi-fi ("we're a franchise, we don't have to have it"). Outside the USA you won't find the cheese and fruit boxes. Cheese and fruit boxes are the only reason I buy anything from Starbucks. Your Starbucks account may, or may not, work for making purchases when in another country as well. You can't tell me that Starbucks can't figure out how to do financial transactions internationally, or create a 'core' experience that they can offer in all locations that includes more than having staff know how to make a half-caff caramel macchiato. Even McDonald's does that one right.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Starbucks over roasts their beans to the point where there is a slight bitter edge that I really don't like.

A friend in Hawaii who owned a coffee roasting and reselling company called them "Charbucks." :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My dislikes of Starbucks are a few. First, as I've mentioned, they bought then closed (or turned into another Starbucks) coffee joints that had better coffee.

Kind of what WalMart did with Mom&Pop stores all over the country.

Dave

keno999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Worldmark
Morritt's Grand Tortuga

I think of them as more of a dairy retailer than coffee! If I get a latte it's usually a "double tall" (extra espresso shot) to get it to taste like a coffee drink.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm not a fan of Starbucks coffee. What's odd is that Starbucks uses the roasting method developed by Peet's and I do like Peet's. I prefer to go to a local, small independent coffee place where they roast onsite (or nearby).