• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Year 2022

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That is now the year of the big merger of programs between Marriott, Westin and Sheraton. At least per sales staff at SVV today. A rather contentious sales presentation BTW. We were told they had document with the information about it. I asked to see it. The sales rep went to get it, we waited, the sales manager came in to tell us about it. The sales rep finally returned without said document. Said it was in his other office. How far away could that be? Anyway, more lips moving stuff from the timeshare salesman, not much more to be said there. Though we were threatened to be put on the "do not tour" list :whooopie:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Was the threat made due to something you said?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
...is that REALLY a threat?
That is of course questionable. Though when we load up on 200K in Bonvoy points in a year from sales presentations, it could be considered a threat.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Was the threat made due to something you said?
Perhaps a whole collimation of circumstances. It was a rather contentious sales presentation. We toured last in September and the rep we had then recognized us. I am sure she tipped today's rep off. When he said he had documents about the changes in 2022, I challenged him to show us. He was gone a long time, but no doubt there was nothing for him to go and bring to show us. While he was gone his manager showed up and tried to convince us of the same 2022. I said that "insert rep name here* was doing to get documents to prove this. That manager left and then one of the Encore people came along and I told him I was still waiting for said documentation. He left and our sales rep came back and thinking that just hearing it from the manager was enough to appease us. I basically said there is no documentation. I am sure that sales reps don't like it when people don't buy, but marketing keeps sending them people that don't buy. It's all a numbers game.

I could overhear another guest talking to a sales rep during our long bouts of being left alone (do you ever wonder if they are working multiple people at the same time?). He wasn't happy that he was told he had to buy Marriott points to make his ownership "good again" and being told today that he had to spend $16,000 for Sheraton Flex because it would give him access to everything that he will lose in 2022. All a load of bull. They are selling Flex on the premise it will be the golden ticket to everything, it may, but anything right now is speculation. The thing is, we own enrolled Marriott and mandatory SVV, so we already have access to the 100+ resorts. Why do we need the expensive flex?

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Thanks for the update! So ridiculous...I've found many of the SVV sales reps to be particularly ~challenging~. We were told in 2018 by Marriott staff that we would not get any hotel points once the merger went through, then told in April 2019 at SVV that within the year a new system would be finalized. And they wonder why we don't buy from them based on their information! We were then questioned extensively by the manager for having bought an explorer package for the extra points (she insisted that timeshare owners consistently get much better deals to buy points in big packages, I said we've only gotten those as incentives when buying, and she said "well I'm an owner and I get them all the time so you must not read your emails.")

And that's a very valid point from the other guest: not right that your current ownership would be hugely devalued unless you buy more. Plus, the flex program itself isn't that great - the resorts aren't exactly aspirational/difficult to get into otherwise. Just don't see the value...grateful I didn't get sucked into it a few years ago!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Though we were threatened to be put on the "do not tour" list :whooopie:

Congratulations! Just proves you’re not gullible. Three points for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I've always thought SVR and SVV were the ABSOLUTE WORST places to take the owner's update. Totally obnoxious.
Our tour at SVR back in 2008 (!!!) was the worst one we've ever experienced in a TS presentation. The rep actually called us stupid for not buying.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I used to think that because SVR / SVV are so close to the Vistana HQ that they get new recruits from Owner Update School and train them at SVV.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Dioxide45. Would have been interesting to hear more of the details about the alleged 22 merger. How were they angling the merger pitch to you? What are the benefits to you or the ROI of buying VIstana?

I'm really on the fence about my Vistana ownership, the thing is it's been trading and renting fabulously so that is why I would want to keep it with the hope of a significant merger benefit coming sometime. The downside - I don't enjoy trying to rent/trade my Vistana, my Worldmark and Marriott is more than enough for me right now. And I would like to start cruising more..

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am waiting to see exactly what shakes out from the merger. I feel like I will probably downsize but have been waiting to see what comes of the merger before adjusting the portfolio. I am sick of the wait. They have had plenty of time bsing with this and meanwhile using the uncertainty to try to sell their worthless flex Product.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for sharing Dioxide45. Would have been interesting to hear more of the details about the alleged 22 merger. How were they angling the merger pitch to you? What are the benefits to you or the ROI of buying VIstana?

I'm really on the fence about my Vistana ownership, the thing is it's been trading and renting fabulously so that is why I would want to keep it with the hope of a significant merger benefit coming sometime. The downside - I don't enjoy trying to rent/trade my Vistana, my Worldmark and Marriott is more than enough for me right now. And I would like to start cruising more..
The angle was that you needed Flex in order to get the benefits and book all 100+ resorts in a combined system. Our resale weeks weren't good. The problem is that the sales rep was clueless and had no idea how the system even worked. He thought I could only book 6 months out with StarOptions banked from my EOY ownership. Where does that come from. He thought I could only bank Options into my use year, instead of calendar years. He claimed to be a top performer. Aren't they all? There are some that have to still sell so poorly that they move on to other lines of work.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Are they trying to say they plan on making DC trust points and Star Options the same system?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Ha! I can't tell you how many times we've been told we would be put on the "do not tour" list by huffy TS sales reps. And then they call us back for more. We keep taking the gift cards and discounted stays. I see it as payback for our developer purchase where we overpaid.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I would LOVE to be on the "do not tour" list and have no one bother us about signing up for one :). We are mentally on the "never again" list.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are they trying to say they plan on making DC trust points and Star Options the same system?
No specifics were provided. Just how they all had a document that said one system in 2022, so buy flex now so you too can participate! We asked for the document, saw no document and the sales person got mad when I told him it was a lie because if it wasn't he would have no problem showing us said document.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Ha! I can't tell you how many times we've been told we would be put on the "do not tour" list by huffy TS sales reps. And then they call us back for more. We keep taking the gift cards and discounted stays. I see it as payback for our developer purchase where we overpaid.
There are places like SVR and SVV where I will NEVER take the Owner's Upgrade, yet there are so many other places that are so low key, you tell them you're not interested, and out you go after 20 or 30 minutes. They know what you want. Resort credit, or points! We don't need another stinkin' time-share!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
There are places like SVR and SVV where I will NEVER take the Owner's Upgrade, yet there are so many other places that are so low key, you tell them you're not interested, and out you go after 20 or 30 minutes. They know what you want. Resort credit, or points! We don't need another stinkin' time-share!

I agree, SVR and SVV are very aggressive. However I have no problem at WKORVN, Nanea or Westin Riverfront. Very low key and informative. And the meetings at those locations are usually pretty quick because the salesperson finds out quickly I know as much or more about the Vistana and Marriott Bonvoy programs than they do.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I agree, SVR and SVV are very aggressive. However I have no problem at WKORVN, Nanea or Westin Riverfront. Very low key and informative. And the meetings at those locations are usually pretty quick because the salesperson finds out quickly I know as much or more about the Vistana and Marriott Bonvoy programs than they do.
I agree - I never have a problem at the higher end resorts, yet SVV/SVR are always a PITA. Most places we go to we don't hesitate to take the Owner's Update because it is so low key and gives us some value. Except for those 2 places.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always thought SVR and SVV were the ABSOLUTE WORST places to take the owner's update. Totally obnoxious.
I had a salesperson yelling "you must not love your grandchildren because you are leaving them nothing" as I walked out of an SVR update. Made me laugh... Not really a way to try to make a sale.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I had a salesperson yelling "you must not love your grandchildren because you are leaving them nothing" as I walked out of an SVR update. Made me laugh... Not really a way to try to make a sale.
That's the most insulting thing I've ever heard from ANY update! Did you get your points??? Hahahaha

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow this gave me a goal to shoot for!! What's the average per presentation?
Eight presentations in 2020. Seven since May. Average of about 25,000 Bonvoy points. The lowest offered was 15,000 and the highest was 30,000.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
Eight presentations in 2020. Seven since May. Average of about 25,000 Bonvoy points. The lowest offered was 15,000 and the highest was 30,000.

Impressive! Do you ever take the DP instead of the Bonvoy points? Offer in Aruba is 25000 Bonvoy, 400 DP or $250 in resort certificates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk