• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Value of Having Only One Week Enrolled. - Is there any?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Background
This year I re-swizzled my portfolio. Entering into 2021 I had two Monarch summer weeks (Oceanfront and Garden) and an EOY Grand Chateau two bedroom . The Monarch weeks I would rent or use and the GC is a pure lock-off trader. The family has grown and the last few years I would rent the Monarch Oceanfront and trade the Garden to the Grande Ocean. because the Monarch is to small for 6 adults (kids with Fiancée's. This year I sold the Monarch Garden and the GC EOY and replaced them with a Grande Ocean (oceanside) and 3 bedroom annual GC. I am deciding if I want to sell the Monarch Oceanfront and replace it with a GO Oceanfront. I have an offer on the Monarch and made an offer on a Grande Ocean.

Here is the issue. The Monarch is rerolled and has been since the beginning. I think it gets me 3800 points. It has more value to me renting (I get 2700 to 2900) when I do not use it, so I have never exchanged for points. This year I was close to renting points but because I lack status (low membership level) , I really couldn't find places we enjoy going to using points, so I did not rent them. I pay the club fees only to keep the enrollment alive. The points program is not really for low status owners and renting points doesn't provide flexibility. If I want to travel for less than a week, I am better off finding a status owner looking to rent points and have them make the reservation. It makes no sense for me to keep the Monarch only for the enrollment. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enrollment is good if you lock-off and trade since all those fees are included, but it doesn’t sound like you do any of that so no.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrollment is good if you lock-off and trade since all those fees are included, but it doesn’t sound like you do any of that so no.

The only enrolled week is the Monarch which is not a lock off

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If you don't intend to lock off and trade or elect points the only purpose is to be able to rent points. What do you mean by "renting points doesn't provide flexibility"?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
By status do you mean your ownership level is to low to reserve at 13 months?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I want to travel for less than a week, I am better off finding a status owner looking to rent points and have them make the reservation. It makes no sense for me to keep the Monarch only for the enrollment. Am I missing something?
The most obvious answer is that you can't rent points without retaining your enrolled week. There are people who buy a small points contract and then rent the rest when they want them for that very reason. Another would be to retain the 'fee free' II membership - even I who almost never use II found unlimited retrades within MVC very useful the couple of times I deposited into II.

One of our favorite uses of DPs is as an alternate currency to cash or Bonvoy points to stay in Boston, DC, Miami, and SF. Boston can be tricky, but there is plenty of inventory at less than 12 months in the other locations. But if you don't stay in cities that is less useful.

Getting back into the DP program with a 1500 point contract would cost around $7,500. If you are absolutely sure you'll never want to rent points, do II, or stay at the Pulse properties, then you would save the $215 per year.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think there is value in having the single enrolled week because you can still rent and utilize points. Although you would have to be satisfied with 7 day reservations, 12 months out, but that’s the default for many timeshare owners.

But I think that’s the only value. If you would not utilize in this manner, then it makes sense to sell and buy the GO, recognizing that you are probably exiting DC for good.

Best,

Greg

Bill4728

Reaction score
We also own a week that generates about 3000 pts and use them all the time. Mostly to do things like adding a couple days to a stay. We'll trade into a marriott with one of our non marriott weeks then add days on to that stay with our points. Or our family will come with us for a mini vacation and we'll get them a room for a few days with our points.

I understand that you could ask a DC owner to use their pts to make these reservation but being able to see what is available is IMHO priceless

keep the pts in the DC.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
This year I was close to renting points but because I lack status (low membership level) , I really couldn't find places we enjoy going to using points, so I did not rent them. I pay the club fees only to keep the enrollment alive. The points program is not really for low status owners and renting points doesn't provide flexibility. If I want to travel for less than a week, I am better off finding a status owner looking to rent points and have them make the reservation. It makes no sense for me to keep the Monarch only for the enrollment. Am I missing something?

I see your point about having someone make reservations on your behalf to get a 25% or 35% discount. But that doesn't apply for bookings with 60+ days out and I have found the flexibility of renting points fantastic.

The weeks I own with MVC are enrolled but have rental value that makes it worthwhile to rent out and rent points from others as opposed to converting them to points (I was never a big fan of the "skim"). So I have used the rental option quite a bit despite having not necessarily having to do that. We've used points to combine stays with our Vistana ownership for 8-10 day vacations (nights in St John + St. Thomas, nights in Princeville + Poipu, nights in Avon + Vail, etc). Since I can book Vistana as exchanges at 8 months out, I have to do the same with Marriott (or even book that first at 12-13 months out) so waiting for 60 days out or using II is not feasible.

We've also used points for shorter "staycations" in FL by renting off-season nights in Crystal Shores and in the Palm Beach area. At some of these local stays we don't even bother to sleep in the room - we just use the pools, beach, mini-golf, restaurant or grills and then sleep in our own bed at home.

Last edited:

maryk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused - which allows you to rent points? An enrolled week or DP?

Also what would be the advantage of keeping an enrolled EOY week if all I ever do is turn it into DP?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused - which allows you to rent points? An enrolled week or DP?

Also what would be the advantage of keeping an enrolled EOY week if all I ever do is turn it into DP?

An enrolled week or ownership of Destination Club Points BOTH allow you the opportunity to rent points anytime you want to.

The advantage of keeping an enrolled EOY week is all about ownership use and or costs. Will you use your week as an actual week where you own? Is it a cheap way to utilize Destination Club points versus buying them outright?

Enrolled weeks allow you the best of both worlds in my opinion; Use it, rent it, trade it, turn it into DP points........

maryk

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you say renting points? From Marriott or from private individuals ?

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only have one week and I think the advantages are really money-based. First, I only paid about $1200 for my 2 bedroom MGV, Florida Club, lockoff unit in I think 2008. The maintenance fees are nearing $1700/yr. I was able to enroll my week for free after viewing a video since I purchased pre 2010. So with one small fee, I can lock off my week and get two units elsewhere via II (2019 I got two, three bedroom units at Ocean Pointe after uptrading several times which did cost a little bit for the larger units). I recently elected to use my 2022 and 2023 weeks for points, and after renting additional points for $300 in order to reserve earlier than 12 months, I got a two bedroom and a three bedroom at Crystal Shores for Oct 2022. For 2023 I'm planning on going to Key West with a rental of some kind, and/or Orlando where I can get a Getaway for peanuts. So I'm paying roughly $900-$1000/week for a two or three bedroom and much less for an Orlando Getaway. I just can't justify buying additional points or weeks.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only have one week and I think the advantages are really money-based. First, I only paid about $1200 for my 2 bedroom MGV, Florida Club, lockoff unit in I think 2008. The maintenance fees are nearing $1700/yr. I was able to enroll my week for free after viewing a video since I purchased pre 2010. So with one small fee, I can lock off my week and get two units elsewhere via II (2019 I got two, three bedroom units at Ocean Pointe after uptrading several times which did cost a little bit for the larger units). I recently elected to use my 2022 and 2023 weeks for points, and after renting additional points for $300 in order to reserve earlier than 12 months, I got a two bedroom and a three bedroom at Crystal Shores for Oct 2022. For 2023 I'm planning on going to Key West with a rental of some kind, and/or Orlando where I can get a Getaway for peanuts. So I'm paying roughly $900-$1000/week for a two or three bedroom and much less for an Orlando Getaway. I just can't justify buying additional points or weeks.

You're making excellent uses of some of the many available options. Glad it's working out well for you.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for your input. Once the agreement is signed, I just sold my Legacy Monarch week so I will only have weeks purchased after 6/2010. I am on the hunt for a summer MGO so once that is done, I will have 2 summer MGO's that I will use or rent and a Grand Chateau that I will only trade. Even though I have never traded for points nor rented them, I am not 100% sure I made the right decision but i will only know that looking backwards at some point in the future. Again, thanks for the input

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Enrollment value: I once had a traded week we had to move inside 60 days. Retraded 14 times to get the week we wanted (over a year later.) All for free.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, we have retraded a week that was within 60 days when covid hit, still retrading it and all for "free". A good benefit of enrolled weeks.