• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The status of travel to Cuba for Americans

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had booked a seven (7) days cruise to Cuba to tour three (3) Cuban cities. But it was cancel when the new administration can into office.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We know of 2 American couples who vacationed in Cuba many years ago. They both flew to Toronto and spent a day or so in a hotel before departing on a AI vacation that was booked through a Canadian internet travel site. Upon their return the 1 couple rented a car and drove to Ottawa for a few days, the other couple only spent 1 night in a hotel before flying back to Philadelphia. Neither couple had any extra questioning or problems re-entering the USA, I guess customs didn't notice their tan. When people (even us Canadians) enter Cuba the passport is not stamped but the stamp is put on a separate piece of paper which must be handed in when leaving the country. I thought it was a similar idea to the form we got when entering Mexico but nothing needed to be filled out. I was disappointed that I wasn't going to get a Cuba stamp in my passport but by accident I was given 2 pieces of the stamped paper so I kept one as a souvenir!

~Diane

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I had friends who visited Cuba. They flew over from Mexico. Like Diane's friends Cuban Immigration looked at but did not stamp their passports. Immigration wise they told me it was uneventful. I think they used highly desired US Dollars for everything...

George

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
We were in Cuba twice in 2019, the last time was just before Christmas in December. Shortly before our last trip, the US govt. decided to limit flights from US cities to only Havana Jose Marti International Airport. This can be terrible if your destination is say, Santiago De Cuba, Holguin or another eastern city. Arranging for transportation the length and breadth of Cuba is difficult and very costly for an American. Fortunately our family is in Matanzas, which is about 60 miles east of Havana. We normally fly into Varadero, which is much closer to Matanzas than Havana but that wasn't an option any more. We had to pile into a green 1955 Chevrolet for that 60 mile trip. The driver inherited the car from his grandfather and it's now his means of living.

The travel restrictions, (obtaining VISA, avoiding OFAC violations, etc.) and stipulations on that last trip were really unchanged from previous trips, except the air flight change. We would go at least once a year. Covid has changed everything. At one time early in the Covid pandemic there was a ban on inter-provincial travel for everyone. Everyone was locked into their province. On top of that Cuba is about to consolidate their dual currencies, eliminating the CUC and just leaving the CUP. That has a lot of people nervous down there. Their government will probably have to adjust the remaining currency down against the dollar. That will Hurt a lot of people. The CUC (Convertible Peso) was 1 to 1 to the dollar. The CUP (Non -convertible peso) was I believe 26 to1 to the CUC.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Last edited:

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
The travel restrictions, (obtaining VISA, avoiding OFAC violations, etc.) and stipulations on that last trip were really unchanged from previous trips, except the air flight change. We would go at least once a year. Covid has changed everything. At one time early in the Covid pandemic there was a ban on inter-provincial travel for everyone. Everyone was locked into their province. On top of that Cuba is about to consolidate their dual currencies, eliminating the CUC and just leaving the CUP. That has a lot of people nervous down there. Their government will probably have to adjust the remaining currency down against the dollar. That will Hurt a lot of people. The CUC (Convertible Peso) was 1 to 1 to the dollar. The CUP (Non -convertible peso) was I believe 26 to1 to the CUC.
[/QUOTE]

I was once an annual traveler to Cuba. It was then considered a bargain using one of the all inclusive direct fight deals from Toronto. But as the CDN dollar value declined versus the USA dollar all that changed. A CUC was for example 1.35 CDN to 1 CUC. That added to the average stay at a 5 star being more likely a 3 star, food and drink shortages at times, even towels being recycled for days...seemed like as Cuba became more popular, USA travel opened up somewhat, the infrasturcture could not keep up with the demand. The locals, always inviting and welcoming. If you do get a chance to go to Cuba, hire a local guide, see the "non-tourist" Cuba. Wonderful people.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect that after COVID comes under some kind of control, and another detail or two are resolved after January, that travel to lots of places in the world will begin to ramp up. I can hardly wait!!! We have a whole bunch of airline credits for future travel as well as 'future cruise credit' from canceling some early 2020 travel.

Jim