• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Rise of Phone Reading

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Rise of Phone Reading - by Jennifer Maloney/ Arts/ Books/ The Wall Street Journal/ wsj.com

"It’s not the e-reader that will be driving future books sales, it’s the phone; how publishers are rethinking books for the small screen..."

When I first started to read books on my smartphone a few years ago, I didn't think I would like it. I discovered that the smaller screen held less text and I was actually able to read faster. So depending on the situation, I now read on my phone, eReader (Nook Color and Kindle Fire HD) and my tablet. When I pick up a different device from what I had been most recently reading, I get a question asking if I want to jump to where I was last reading.
Very neat.

Also, eReading, regardless of which device has transformed my reading habits. I love the built in dictionaries. I also love being able to look up the word on wikipedia and/or Google. Sometimes I go far afield before getting back to the book I've been reading. I also like being able to take notes, and highlight sections of text. I also love being able to download eBooks from the Library.

Richard

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been reading on my phone for many years now. So much more convenient, because I always have my phone with me, it saves my place, and I can carry a virtually unlimited number of books. And like you, I love the built in dictionary. When I come across a word I don't know, I always like to look it up.

I've moved on to something even better about a year ago, though. Instead of reading, I listen to a ton of audiobooks. I spend a lot of time driving, and instead of just listening to music or talk radio, I figure I might as well utilize that time. Several of my local libraries offer free audiobooks through Overdrive. I'm currently listening to Atlas Shrugged, which is one of the 10 longest English books (even longer than War & Peace). Very captivating, thought-provoking, and insightful (especially considering it was written almost 6 decades ago).

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Mike,

I had a different experience with Audio-books. My commutes are now relatively short. I started listening to an audio-book a few years ago and discovered I was really enjoying the book and did not want to wait until I was in the car again to pick up where I left off. So I purchased a copy from Amazon.

I only listen to Audio-books now when I take extended driving trips. I agree with other Tug listeners (from other threads) that the narrator makes a bid difference to the listening experience.

Richard

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't read much but enjoyed listening while on trips unfortunately Pandora ruined that as my wife prefers music

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 6 plus which holds nearly the same amount of lines as my standard Kindle eReader and it's an extremely comfortable size to hold in one hand. Sometimes I don't like the backlit screen or I want to read outside and my 6 plus or Kindle Fire have too much glare, so the Kindle eReader is better in those cases. As mentioned, the Kindle content syncs between all my devices so I can resume the book wherever I left off on any of my devices.

There are a number of free books that are classics and in public domain, and I also stalk discounts by current authors using sites like eReaderIQ. I'm sure I have more books stored in the Amazon cloud than I will ever read. I only download a portion onto any of my devices.

I also have recently started listening to free audio books. Sometimes I'm puttering around the house and don't have free hands to read, but I can listen.

A GREAT way to relax with an audio book is to download one on your iPod or phone, use headphones, and jump in the whirlpool for a nice long soak. I get through a couple chapters before my 30 minutes is up and the jacuzzi automatically shuts off.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As an admitted techno-idiot, I was pleasantly surprised to recently learn that a Nook app for my iPhone provides the ability to access and read books stored on my Nook.

I haven't actually ever chosen to read on the phone, but am nonetheless surprised and impressed by that option. One of the (admittedly very few) advantages to being a bit techno-challenged is being very easily and mightily impressed by virtually every new techno discovery that I somehow belatedly stumble upon / into / over. :eek:

Last edited:

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
yup started reading, now I listen using overdrive and tons of selections from library in the city.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an admitted techno-idiot, I was pleasantly surprised to recently learn that a Nook app for my iPhone provides the ability to access and read books stored on my Nook.

I haven't actually ever chosen to read on the phone, but am nonetheless surprised and impressed by that option. One of the (admittedly very few) advantages to being a bit techno-challenged is being very easily and mightily impressed by virtually every new techno discovery that I somehow belatedly stumble upon / into / over. :eek:

I no longer use my Nook. Read all my books on my phone, or in the cases that the format is awful for phones, which is often, I read on my laptop with my Nook app.

I also learned while a doctoral student not to just stick to Nook. Every platform has a free PC reader app, and if a book is unavailable on Nook, I can find it via Kindle or other platforms.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The new Kindle font is wonderful!

Sent from my iPad

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My nook is in a drawer these days. Actually buying more paper for 1c and 3.99 shipping on Amazon.

Screen read news on my phone.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk