• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Return of Vinyl

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Vinyl returned years ago. Anyone who wants to jump on the bandwagon today is going to be stunned by prices and general lack of availability.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vinyl returned years ago. Anyone who wants to jump on the bandwagon today is going to be stunned by prices and general lack of availability.
It never went away. Just fell out of favor.
Personally I just don't get it. With YouTube and other platforms all you need to do is snap your fingers and any song will become instantly available.
No need to store cumbersome stacks of records. Remember the component stereo systems with all of the amps, tuners, and other paraphernalia. The huge speakers taking up so much room. Then the dust they would attract. All in the trash heap.

No more nonsense for me.

And yes the prices of these albums. Son and I were in a store that sold vinyl in the mall a few weeks ago. One of the associates overheard me commenting about the price of the media. Must be a hobby for some people. Not for me.

Then when it comes time to move that collection of plastic. All packed into boxes. It gets super heavy. o_O

ScoopKona

Reaction score
It never went away. Just fell out of favor.
Personally I just don't get it. With YouTube and other platforms all you need to do is snap your fingers and any song will become instantly available.

I kind of, sort of, agree that it never went away -- because audiophiles never abandoned vinyl. They also didn't abandon magnetic tape, which is what audiophiles really want, if they have unlimited funds.

But vinyl sales flatlined in the 90s and early 2000s. And then they started picking up again -- because people who care about quality learned about the loudness wars and the inherent limitations of digital. Some of my most expensive albums are 90s titles that they pressed a few thousand copies of, total, for DJs. Try finding one that isn't beat to [excrement].

As for moving a collection, tell me about it. I have 20,000 titles. And they're worth more than the house I'm moving out of, AND the house I'm moving into. Considering I paid $1 each for 95% of the collection, not a bad day's work. The only bad part is the insurance premiums. And that will be over when my collection and I are finally reunited.

As for the effort necessary to maintain a vinyl collection, it's worth it. Anyone who disagrees should stick with Spotify. There's nothing wrong with free unlimited

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My ex got all of our albums in our divorce.
I'm sure there was some collector items.
But all things considered, good riddance (to both).

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I knew my ears weren’t good enough to tell the difference. Turns out, neither were the audiophiles.

“These people who claim they have golden ears and can hear the difference between analog and digital, well, it turns out you couldn’t.”

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My son, amateur musician, is the pickiest. In church he wouldn't sing if someone's guitar was out of tune (sounded good to me, drove him
nutty). Any sound you might not even notice will catch his attention and just must be addressed.

My Dad had an incredible vinyl collection, he always thought it sounded best, he was a dance instructor. We pretty much gave it away :-( I have a nephew that took my Dad's turn table and some of the vinyl. I love how into music he is, and am happy he continues to enjoy some of the music. My nephew took particular interest in my Dad's favorites, that made my heart happy.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
When it's quite and in the evening I hear a slight ringing noise. Almost sounds like a steam radiator hissing in the background.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Sigh. I'm not going to get into an analog vs. digital debate. There's no point. It's like talking politics.

But I can pull out a 15ips magnetic tape release of a title. I can pull out a 45RPM recent pressing of that same title. And I can pull out a SACD as well. And I can queue them up to play at the same time. And then flip back and forth between them. Only the profoundly hearing impaired aren't going to hear a difference.

Preference is then a matter of debate. But there is a difference.

Brett

Reaction score
Sigh. I'm not going to get into an analog vs. digital debate. There's no point. It's like talking politics.

But I can pull out a 15ips magnetic tape release of a title. I can pull out a 45RPM recent pressing of that same title. And I can pull out a SACD as well. And I can queue them up to play at the same time. And then flip back and forth between them. Only the profoundly hearing impaired aren't going to hear a difference.

Preference is then a matter of debate. But there is a difference.

OK ... enjoy your old plastic analogs

ScoopKona

Reaction score
OK ... enjoy your old plastic analogs

I prefer chromium dioxide.

Don't get me wrong -- I was overjoyed that most people abandoned vinyl and tape. For 15 years, until people realized how badly they were duped by the music industry, it was the happy hunting grounds. I was hitting every thrift store in town, in a rotation, and buying roughly 50 albums a week. My best-ever score was hundreds of post-war, Blue Note, Savoy and Chess albums. That was basically like winning the lottery.

And occasionally, some old fool would see me going through the stacks and say, "Vinyl, eh? I have thousands of them. I'll let you have them if you haul them away."

So I did, every time. Occasionally the old fool in question actually took care of his records. Rare, but worth the effort of hauling away records. Even more rarely, the old fool in question took care of his records AND had decent taste in music. Most of my punk rock collection came from one such haul-away. It was basically like handing me grain sacks full of C-notes.

Then, around 2008, collectors started reappearing. Ten years later, and it's not worth it to visit thrift stores. There's a line of people waiting to paw through the stacks of beat-up gospel records. I got serious about vinyl at just the right time -- right after the Universal fire burned all the master tapes. I knew then that "what's out there now" is as good as we're ever going to get for a massive swath of modern music.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I probably have 500 vinyl albums, many from groups who only made one album. I plan to remodel a room in our house to have a nice stereo and will definitely include a turntable. I think the old amps and JBL or Synergistic speakers sound much better than the newer systems, especially when played loud:eek:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
No need for Big Loud Speakers either. Just a set of earbuds.

Actually, better with over the ear noise cancelling blue tooth or wired headphones. Just got a Beats Dr Dre Studio 3 headphones and they are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Bose NC700 for me. I love them.