• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 27 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 28 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG is asking for recent reviews of older resorts, earn a free year membership!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $17,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $17 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Requested Upgrades When Booking SSR Thru RCI

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know.... Don't expect an upgrade. But I am requesting one anyway. I currently have a one bedroom SSR reserved with requests for a 2 bedroom at SSR if available, as well as one bedrooms in contemporary bay lake tower, animal kingdom villas, old key west, and grand floridian villas. But now I'm reading so many positive reviews of the renovated SSR I am looking for any informed opinions as if I should keep any of them at all, keep all of them, some of them, none of them, or some other one entirely on the list, just in case an upgrade miraculously comes through. I don't want to inadvertently downgrade myself but at the same time I might as well leave myself open to good fortune if it is bestowed upon me. What are your thoughts?

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
1 bed okw or AKL might hit I’d take AKL and pass okw (but okw is larger just a bit farther to DS) the others would be unicorns to me but fun if you got them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Nope To OKW as I like SSR yes to AKL or any of the others. But there are folks who love OKW and they have the largest rooms in DVC so that is really personal preference you would be happy at any of them I think. I like the renovation at SSR and the easy walk to DS

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Two bedroom trades, let alone upgrades, have been impossible for more than five years. If you get one it will be a major miracle.

There is a decent chance for a one bedroom at Old Key West as an ordinary trade, and a slight chance for Animal Kingdom Villas. However, I don't know if Disney ever switches resorts for someone after confirming an RCI trade.

I wouldn't take Old Key West, only because it is similar to Saratoga but without the walking access to Disney Springs. Also, only two of the buildings at Old Key West have elevators.

Animal Kingdom Villas would be awesome for the animals, and you get 1-3/4 baths in a one bedroom unit.

I have stayed at Saratoga, Old Key West, and Animal Kingdom Villas. I can't comment on the rest of your resort options, but the chances of getting them are very remote.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Animal Kingdom Villas would be awesome for the animals, and you get 1-3/4 baths in a one bedroom unit.
To clarify, AKV Jambo 1 BR have one bathroom, located across a narrow hallway from the bedroom (no private access from the bedroom) with a tub/shower combination. The tub walls are very tall and wide, which can cause difficulty getting in and out. We stayed there once, and I won’t go back because of that tub.
1637509030735.jpeg

AKV Kidani 1 BR have two full baths, and the main bedroom en-suite bath has both a tub and a walk in shower.
1637509192753.jpeg

Images from DVC app.com.

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to leave the Animal Kingdom on my request, take off my old Key West request, and leave the Grand Floridian Villas and contemporary Villas on my request even though it's highly unlikely I will get any of those.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I think I'm going to leave the Animal Kingdom on my request, take off my old Key West request, and leave the Grand Floridian Villas and contemporary Villas on my request even though it's highly unlikely I will get any of those.
If you are taking a flyer on an upgrade I would add Beach club and boardwalk as those are both great locations for Epcot & Hollywood Studios since you a hunting for big game with GFV and BLT :)

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are taking a flyer on an upgrade I would add Beach club and boardwalk as those are both great locations for Epcot & Hollywood Studios since you a hunting for big game with GFV and BLT :)
Sounds like a great idea assuming those rooms also compare favorably to SSR.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Sounds like a great idea assuming those rooms also compare favorably to SSR.
Similar to SSR pre renovation but for my money the best location on property (I love EP & HS and often pass MK) the VGF & BLT rooms are better than the BCV & BWV to me but location is more important to me :)

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am doing A LOT of very optimistic and hopeful planning but even if it's super unlikely to occur, without asking it's totally impossible. Already, the worst thing that can happen is I'm staying in a one bedroom at SSR for a total of $439 for a week , so no matter what, I'm crying all the way to the bank.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I am doing A LOT of very optimistic and hopeful planning but even if it's super unlikely to occur, without asking it's totally impossible. Already, the worst thing that can happen is I'm staying in a one bedroom at SSR for a total of $439 for a week , so no matter what, I'm crying all the way to the bank.
were your point/tpu's free? :)

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand your question correctly, the exchange was 51000 points, the exchange fee was $239, plus another $190 for whatever, when I show up. I have a little over 205000 left and get 122000 a year from rci for my 2 bedroom Grandview Las Vegas maintenance fee of what is now $872 annually.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
If I understand your question correctly, the exchange was 51000 points, the exchange fee was $239, plus another $190 for whatever, when I show up. I have a little over 205000 left and get 122000 a year from rci for my 2 bedroom Grandview Las Vegas maintenance fee of what is now $872 annually.
I have the same contract and in general think about it costing around $800 for a week at Disney using my RCI points and with your deal the way I price that's about what your paying (which is a screaming deal in my mind) so the math for me GV Maintenance fees 872/122000 = $.0071 per point * 51000 = $362.1 + RCI exchange $239 + Disney junk fee = $190 or $791.10. for a unit that to rent would cost 178 DVC points @ $15 a point or $2670. I love my grandview contact :) (and I only lay out this math so anyone else following has a complete understanding of the cost)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Double checking something, I know in the past (a couple years ago) the upgrade feature would only allow for larger bedroom request. So, you could request 2 BR at any DVC, which we know most likely wouldn't happen. At that time when I asked RCI about a request to another resort, but for same 1BR size, they said it wasn't possible. Is it possible now?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI, Waterside By Spinnaker
I think used to be, I’d call again. But, again, I know of no one on tug who has ever gotten a swap at dvc in 10 years. If it works out, I’d love to know. Ssr is very nice after upgrades and memory foam sofa bed is great!

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
memory foam sofa bed is great!
Just wanted to clarify for those who don’t know - the memory foam mattress is on a regular queen Murphy bed that comes down out of the wall and covers the sofa, which folds up under it. It’s not a foldout couch! They’re so much better than the sofa beds that DVC is slowly replacing sofa beds with these.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to clarify for those who don’t know - the memory foam mattress is on a regular queen Murphy bed that comes down out of the wall and covers the sofa, which folds up under it. It’s not a foldout couch! They’re so much better than the sofa beds that DVC is slowly replacing sofa beds with these.
True and same thing applies to the unit under the TV cabinet which is a single bed.

I will say though that I did have a complaint from the person that slept on the TV cabinet one, that it felt like it was lopsided, like one side of the matress was thicker than the other. The thicker part was the one that would have been the lower section when folded up.

Capture 2.PNG

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Double checking something, I know in the past (a couple years ago) the upgrade feature would only allow for larger bedroom request. So, you could request 2 BR at any DVC, which we know most likely wouldn't happen. At that time when I asked RCI about a request to another resort, but for same 1BR size, they said it wasn't possible. Is it possible now?
At the same resort the upgrade feature will only go to a unit with more bedrooms. (So not pertinent to DVC but if you had a 1 BR partial kitchen the upgrade wouldn't help get you a 1 BR full kitchen at the same resort only a 2 bedroom or larger). When you request alternate resorts in the upgrade, those ones only have to be the same size as the original confirmation or larger.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the same resort the upgrade feature will only go to a unit with more bedrooms. (So not pertinent to DVC but if you had a 1 BR partial kitchen the upgrade wouldn't help get you a 1 BR full kitchen at the same resort only a 2 bedroom or larger). When you request alternate resorts in the upgrade, those ones only have to be the same size as the original confirmation or larger.
Good to know, then this has changed over the last few years.

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the real answer but I did manage to request a 2 bedroom upgrade where my 1 bedroom reservation was confirmed at SSR, and was allowed up to 5 other 1 bedroom upgrade requests, of which I asked for animal kingdom, contemporary and grand Floridian Villas, boardwalk villas, and beach club villas. So if you can ask, maybe you can get.

Last edited:

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same contract and in general think about it costing around $800 for a week at Disney using my RCI points and with your deal the way I price that's about what your paying (which is a screaming deal in my mind) so the math for me GV Maintenance fees 872/122000 = $.0071 per point * 51000 = $362.1 + RCI exchange $239 + Disney junk fee = $190 or $791.10. for a unit that to rent would cost 178 DVC points @ $15 a point or $2670. I love my grandview contact :) (and I only lay out this math so anyone else following has a complete understanding of the cost)
Plus I feel even better when the rack rates for my dates are between $583 and $685 a night. Pretty fair deal no matter where I end up.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just put in a request for AKL. It says "One bedroom or larger" ot words to that effect.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I understand why the upgrade/change requests never catch. It seems like they don't fire it until 14 days out from check in. It seems very rare even in "slow" periods that a DVC report has a sighting within 14 days. Of course 2BR don't show up whether 14 days or 3 months out. But specifically about the change, AKL wouldn't show up at 14 days unless it's cancelled within the 14 day period, and even then I'd be surprised if RCI didn't have it flagged for rentals.