• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

the Quarters at Marlin Cove Ocean City, MD

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Has anyone stayed here? I have a trip scheduled for tomorrow. I will be in unit 108. I will be arriving late but the instructions seem to be the same regardless and they seem a little complicated. Is it in the same building as Marlin Cove II? I have stayed there and the photo on rci looks the same.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't stayed there, so I can't advise. I would call the office during the day tomorrow to see if they have any info for you.

Please let us know how it is! I've always wondered what that place is like. Have a great trip!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I called and the phone was answered hi this is ellinor and she gave me instructions but they were kind of weird and complicated and I will be checking in at 11pm so I am just worried that something might go wrong. I have to touch a certain place on the lock and then put in the code and when it lights up, twist the knob. They are painting over the weekend so no parking under the building and no internet.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope it will be okay, and I think it probably will be. We've gotten some complicated instructions for getting access after hours, and it's turned out to be much clearer once we get there and see the setup.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have not stayed in an OC timeshare yet. I have a reservation for Ocean High in April. As someone living in the mid-Atlantic, I am much more impressed with the Virginia Beach and Outer Banks timeshare offerings. I realize this is much discussed in past tug threads ... but can't keep from making the observation once more.

The Delmarva timeshare I most want to check out is Summer Place in Bethany Beach. I really need points (short stay) options to do something in this area. As scarce as vacation is if we are able to have a week off we would much prefer going down to South Carolina.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not stayed in an OC timeshare yet. I have a reservation for Ocean High in April. As someone living in the mid-Atlantic, I am much more impressed with the Virginia Beach and Outer Banks timeshare offerings. I realize this is much discussed in past tug threads ... but can't keep from making the observation once more.

The Delmarva timeshare I most want to check out is Summer Place in Bethany Beach. I really need points (short stay) options to do something in this area. As scarce as vacation is if we are able to have a week off we would much prefer going down to South Carolina.
I agree especially when trying a new unknown in Ocean city but this is a long weekend trip (with 14 and 18 yo staying at home) and the 2.6 hr drive vs the 3.5-4.5 because year round sometimes the drive to VB can be an hour or more longer due to traffic, makes a difference. I can't leave before 9pm tonight and have to return on Tuesday. Also I can get better crabs in ocean city than in Virginia beach. Even this time of year, 2 BR units with no steps (not a problem in VB but a problem in 40% in OC) can be a challenge so we took what we could get.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

We love Ocean City. Hope to get to Virginia Beach someday, but it's a lot farther for us.

We're staying at Summer Place next summer. Will let you know how it goes.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
OC is is a ~ a 2:45 minute drive for me. Virginia Beach ~ a 3:15 drive for me. Traffic can easily snag me getting to either one. We like both places well, but have more and better options at Virginia Beach with RCI Points.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Do you suggest any particular places with RCI weeks (using Wyndham points)?

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone stayed here? I have a trip scheduled for tomorrow. I will be in unit 108. I will be arriving late but the instructions seem to be the same regardless and they seem a little complicated. Is it in the same building as Marlin Cove II? I have stayed there and the photo on rci looks the same.
So how was your stay? Just curious as to your thoughts because I know you have a lot of experience traveling to the various East Coast options in MD, VA, NC, and SC.

We grew up going to the DE and Ocean City, MD beaches for decades. Crab options are definitely better in OC than VB. But unfortunately we have found most of the timeshare options in OC a little underwhelming, specifically if compared to the timeshare options in VB, which we prefer.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It wasn't in the same building as Marlin Cove II. It was in the identical building next door. I realized that the Quarters at Marlin Cove indicated that it was a quatershare timeshare not a traditional weeks timeshare. A quartershare has 4 owners instead of 52. I think owners have more control over the unit and leave thing. They have locked closets but for example the dishes and pots and pans have way more than a traditional sleeps 6 timeshare would have. There were at least 2 too many chairs in the living room for the size and everything was quite warn from heavy use. I think the cleaning was a little suspect in the day of covid. When checking out my husband does a pretty thorough check and saw a bunch of small trash items -including old masks that weren't ours behind side tables and under the bed. The view of the canal was pleasant but again too much furniture on the balcony too. The balcony doesn't get the sun, the townhouses on the other side of the canal get the sun pretty much all day. In the summer this might be good but when it is a little cooler, a little sun would have been nice.
Out of about 40 units total, my guess is only about 6 are registered with RCI. We were in unit 108.

Overall it was average to below average for Ocean city. If it wasn't Ocean City it probably would have been somewhere between a 2.5-3.5 out or 10.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
It wasn't in the same building as Marlin Cove II. It was in the identical building next door. I realized that the Quarters at Marlin Cove indicated that it was a quatershare timeshare not a traditional weeks timeshare. A quartershare has 4 owners instead of 52. I think owners have more control over the unit and leave thing. They have locked closets but for example the dishes and pots and pans have way more than a traditional sleeps 6 timeshare would have. There were at least 2 too many chairs in the living room for the size and everything was quite warn from heavy use. I think the cleaning was a little suspect in the day of covid. When checking out my husband does a pretty thorough check and saw a bunch of small trash items -including old masks that weren't ours behind side tables and under the bed. The view of the canal was pleasant but again too much furniture on the balcony too. The balcony doesn't get the sun, the townhouses on the other side of the canal get the sun pretty much all day. In the summer this might be good but when it is a little cooler, a little sun would have been nice.
Out of about 40 units total, my guess is only about 6 are registered with RCI. We were in unit 108.

Overall it was average to below average for Ocean city. If it wasn't Ocean City it probably would have been somewhere between a 2.5-3.5 out or 10.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

I realize that timeshares in Ocean City, MD being more Mid-Atlantic than Southeast, have to deal with longer (and colder) off seasons (so potentially bigger challenges with defaults and bad debt). However it is unfortunate that almost all the timeshare properties in Ocean City seem to have suffered from barely average to downright poor property management for so many years.

Is there any other popular beach resort location on the East Coast where something similar exists? Where virtually all the timeshare properties in the area have to be graded on such a curve because they are all so relatively underwhelming compared to the quality of timeshare properties at other beach resort locations? I can't think of one. I find it an interesting paradox because the beach and boardwalk at OC is outstanding.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

I realize that timeshares in Ocean City, MD being more Mid-Atlantic than Southeast, have to deal with longer (and colder) off seasons (so potentially bigger challenges with defaults and bad debt). However it is unfortunate that almost all the timeshare properties in Ocean City seem to have suffered from barely average to downright poor property management for so many years.

Is there any other popular beach resort location on the East Coast where something similar exists? Where virtually all the timeshare properties in the area have to be graded on such a curve because they are all so relatively underwhelming compared to the quality of timeshare properties at other beach resort locations? I can't think of one. I find it an interesting paradox because the beach and boardwalk at OC is outstanding.

To me, most of the timeshares in the Northeast have to be graded on that curve. Like when you go to Williamsburg or Orlando...the resorts are mostly on a different level, bigger, nicer, better maintained.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Probably a main reason OC struggles in the timeshare world, is the ocean (summer season) is about all they have. Go South, and Virginia Beach is technically the largest “city” in Virginia. Go North, and Atlantic City is not just a beach town.

To me, most of the timeshares in the Northeast have to be graded on that curve. Like when you go to Williamsburg or Orlando...the resorts are mostly on a different level, bigger, nicer, better maintained.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Atlantic City timeshares may be heading that way, paralleling the general decline of the city itself.

AC had a good run when it had a monopoly on gambling east of the Mississippi. New Yorkers and Philadelphians don't have to go to AC anymore and I believe AC is regressing to its 1950s condition.

Newport, RI has some excellent timeshare resorts and a ton of things to do. Winters can be bitingly cold but there are still a lot of attractions. History going back to the Vikings, mansions, some good day trips, cold water seafood, and almost always a pot of chowdah on the stove in back.

Last edited:

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree in general that every region has it's own unique curve. One can't really do an "apples to apples" comparison of regions to each other, because of the differences in locations (i.e. weather), the way those regions were developed over time, or the management companies that operate in any specific region. So Williamsburg is it's own region, with it's own curve, Orlando is it's own region, with it's own curve, Hilton Head is it's own region, with it's own curve, Cancun, Park City, Branson, etc, etc.

As an example one can't really compare Virginia Beach to Hilton Head. Hilton Head has multiple large multi acre timeshare properties, and also has all the major developers running properties there. Whereas in Virginia Beach the timeshare resorts are really city block resort hotel properties, and the only semi-major developer in town is Diamond Resorts. So while a property like Ocean Beach Club / Oceanaire might arguably be the best property in Virginia Beach, it's not really fair to judge it based on a comparison to something like say Marriott's Grande Ocean. For any traveler wanting to go to VB, any evaluation would have to be about what's available there and how they compare to each other.

But I think what I find a little different in Ocean City, MD is available quality. Many region's at least offer multiple tiers of properties, from great, to average, to maybe not so great. Even in Virginia Beach, this seems to be the case. VB can't match the sheer size or grandeur of the large properties offered by the majors in places like HHI, Williamsburg, Orlando, etc. However there are different tiers available, with some properties significantly better than others. There is some variety at least.

Ocean City, MD seems to be mostly missing those quality level tiers? All the properties there seem to be from the same bucket of barely average. That could be because there are no major management companies there maybe? It could be that the development of Ocean City, MD over the years was so chaotic and frenzied that it never allowed for any proper planning and construction of a quality timeshare resort? It could be a combination of things. But the result seems to be that OC, MD doesn't have any timeshare property that jumps out as significantly better than the rest. It like they are mostly all part of the same monolithic tier.

I might be overthinking it. But I grew up spending every summer at the DE and MD beaches, so I know the area pretty well.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Atlantic City timeshares may be heading that way, paralleling the general decline of the city itself.

AC had a good run when it had a monopoly on gambling east of the Mississippi. New Yorkers and Philadelphians don't have to go to AC anymore and I believe AC is regressing to its 1950s condition.

Newport, RI has some excellent timeshare resorts and a ton of things to do. Winters can be bitingly cold but there are still a lot of attractions. History going back to the Vikings, mansions, some good day trips, cold water seafood, and almost always a pot of chowdah on the stove in back.
I definitely agree that AC is (and has been) in serious decline.

As to New England, I think a number of those states have timeshare resorts that range from unique and interesting, to modest but well managed, to even outstanding. Significant variety, and different tiers, with some definite quality timeshare resort experiences available.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, and no offense to any owners of Ocean City, MD timeshares. We have owned weeks ourselves at some of the properties there. I am not anti-Ocean City, I just wish they had better run properties overall, or even just 1 or 2 properties that were really nice.

But my comments don't and won't change the fact that timeshare owners renting summer weeks in Ocean City, MD might possibly benefit from a better ROI than owners of a Marriott's Maui Ocean Club unit. During the summer in Ocean City, MD it feels like people would still pay $200 a night just to stay in a large appliance box.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh, and no offense to any owners of Ocean City, MD timeshares. We have owned weeks ourselves at some of the properties there. I am not anti-Ocean City, I just wish they had better run properties overall, or even just 1 or 2 properties that were really nice.

But my comments don't and won't change the fact that timeshare owners renting summer weeks in Ocean City, MD might possibly benefit from a better ROI than owners of a Marriott's Maui Ocean Club unit. During the summer in Ocean City, MD it feels like people would still pay $200 a night just to stay in a large appliance box.
The first time I went to Maui in 2001, I was amazed that I could rent a 1 BR full kitchen ocean view at a hotel directly (Outrigger- not a time share) for about $150 per night. My thought was that an OC summer rental in a similar quality and hotel would have been $250+ per night.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

We've seriously considered buying in Ocean City so many times...then we talk ourselves out of it. We actually prefer the shoulder season there anyway, so we don't need to own.