• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Point at Poipu rebranded to The Point at Poipu, a Hilton Vacation Club

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Separately, about the same time, Hilton looked into buying the developer rights, the remaining developer inventory, and the management contracts at the two Hawaii properties, but ultimately walked away. Had the deal gone through, the resorts would have been rebranded as Hilton properties.
An added comment. About that time (~2005) we stayed at KBC. While we were there I posted on TUG about the resort, specifically noting some issues with lagging maintenance. Specifically, I thought the property needed a thorough pressure washer cleaning (to remove dirt and grime buildup), followed by complete repainting of interiors and exteriors. I included specific examples.

A couple of days later I received a call from the property manager on our room phone, confirming that I was the person who posted the comments on TUG, and requesting that I arrange a site visit and walkthrough with him. I took him up on the offer. He readily acknowledged the issues, and intimated that during the negotiations with Hilton same maintenance activities had been put on hold. But they were then gearing up to address the items I had identified, as well complete some improvements in the pool, restaurant, and lobby that had similarly been put on hold.

He also comped our parking charges in the garage.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
An added comment. About that time (~2005) we stayed at KBC. While we were there I posted on TUG about the resort, specifically noting some issues with lagging maintenance. Specifically, I thought the property needed a thorough pressure washer cleaning (to remove dirt and grime buildup), followed by complete repainting of interiors and exteriors. I included specific examples.

A couple of days later I received a call from the property manager on our room phone, confirming that I was the person who posted the comments on TUG, and requesting that I arrange a site visit and walkthrough with him. I took him up on the offer. He readily acknowledged the issues, and intimated that during the negotiations with Hilton same maintenance activities had been put on hold. But they were then gearing up to address the items I had identified, as well complete some improvements in the pool, restaurant, and lobby that had similarly been put on hold.

The biggest problem KBC has to face now is the beach erosion. Much more and they'll lose the sidewalk between the building and the ocean. They already lost the shower and most of the access points to the beach.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem KBC has to face now is the beach erosion. Much more and they'll lose the sidewalk between the building and the ocean. They already lost the shower and most of the access points to the beach.
Yeah - and that isn't just KBC. It's a problem in the whole Ka'anapali- Kehana area. Makes me appreciate more the lava bench shoreline at the Point.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
As per https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1016577/0000950150-98-000461.txt, the 4 Embassy Vacation Resorts (Poipu Point, Grand Beach, Lake Tahoe and Kaanapali Beach) have been acquired by Signature Resorts in 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997 respectively.
Signature Resorts has been renamed to Sunterra in 1998 (see https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/86/Sunterra-Corporation.html).

What is funny is Sunterra Resorts was a sub-brand under Signature resorts as per https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1016577/0000950150-98-000461.txt:
Through its primary resort brands, the Company offers Vacation Intervals in
each of the three principal price segments of the market (value, upscale
(characterized by high quality accommodations and service) and luxury
(characterized by elegant accommodations and personalized service)). In
addition, the Company operates points-based vacation clubs in North America and
Europe.

Sunterra Resorts. The Company's Sunterra Resorts, includes resorts in both
the value and upscale price segments which are not affiliated with any hotel
chain. Vacation Intervals at the Company's Sunterra Resorts generally sell for
$6,000 to $25,000 and are targeted to buyers with annual incomes ranging from
$35,000 to $80,000. The Company believes its Sunterra Resorts offer buyers an
economical alternative to resorts affiliated with brand-name lodging companies
(such as Embassy Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Club resorts) and
traditional vacation lodging alternatives.

Embassy Vacation Resorts. The Company's Embassy Vacation Resorts are
positioned in the upscale price segment of the market and are characterized by
high quality accommodations and service. Vacation Intervals at the Company's
four Embassy Vacation Resorts generally sell for $14,000 to $20,000 and are
targeted to buyers with annual incomes ranging from $60,000 to $150,000. Embassy
Vacation Resorts are designed to provide vacation ownership accommodations that
offer the same high quality and value that is represented by the more than 140
Embassy Suites hotels throughout North America. The Company is one of two
licensees and operators of Embassy Vacation Resorts, and is currently evaluating
additional resorts that could be operated as Embassy Vacation Resorts.

Westin Vacation Club Resort. The Company's Westin Vacation Club resort is
positioned in the luxury price segment of the market and is characterized by
elegant accommodations and personalized service. Vacation Intervals at Westin
Vacation Club resort generally sell for $16,000 to $25,000 and are targeted to
buyers with annual incomes ranging from $80,000 to $250,000.

LSI's Grand Vacation Club. As a result of the LSI Acquisition, the Company
acquired LSI's Grand Vacation Club points-based system and as a result of the
Global Acquisition, the Company acquired the Global Group's Global Vacation
Club, which it is integrating into the LSI system. Grand Vacation Club allows
members to purchase an annual allotment of points that can be redeemed for
occupancy rights at Grand Vacation Club's European resorts and at other
participating resorts. The Company markets the Grand Vacation Club in the United
Kingdom, Spain, France and Austria. Points in the Grand Vacation Club can
typically be purchased for approximately $220 a point. A typical one week stay
at a Grand Vacation Club resort requires approximately 46 points. Each Grand Vacation Club member
receives a new allotment of points each year throughout the term of its
membership in the club.

VI's Vacation Time Share Program. As a result of the VI Acquisition, the
Company acquired VI's Vacation Time Share Program (the "VTS Program") which it
markets to buyers in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The VTS Program is a
points-based system much like LSI's Grand Vacation Club in that it allows
members to purchase points that are redeemed for occupancy rights at
participating VTS Program resorts. Points in the VTS Program typically can be
purchased for approximately $119 a point. A typical one week stay at a VI resort
requires approximately 91 points. Each VTS Program member receives a new
allotment of points each year throughout the term of its membership in the
program.

Last edited:

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the same document, https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1016577/0000950150-98-000461.txt, they say:
The Company acquired a 30.43% partnership interest in the Embassy Vacation
Resort Poipu Point in November 1994.
In November 1997, a partnership of which the Company is a managing general
partner acquired the Embassy Suites Resort at Kaanapali Beach, Maui,
Hawaii. A subsidiary of the Company owns a 24% partnership interest in the
acquiring entity. The Company intends to convert 157 of the 413 suites at
the resort into vacation ownership units. Sales are expected to commence
during the second quarter of 1998.

From https://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/11/114123/2005_Annual_Report.pdf,
In July 2004, we purchased the remaining outstanding 77% partnership interest in Ka’anapali, resulting in the full consolidation of its operating results beginning at that time. In August 2005, we purchased the remaining outstanding 70% partnership interest in Poipu, resulting in the full consolidation of its operating results beginning at that time

After that, Sunterra created the Hawaii Collection in 2005 (https://owners.diamondresorts.com/w... Vacations Members Association Hawaii Inc.pdf) and stop selling deeded weeks at those two resorts I think.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
can this resort book with hilton grand vacation points? anyone has the point chart?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
You have to be a MAX Member.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

How did the resort property manager know you have posted on the TUG website about some resort issues and lagging maintenance issues ?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Can DRI / Club Members exchange into this resort without being a MAX members?
Yes. It's branded as Hilton now, but it's Hilton Vacation Club which is the new name for Diamond Resorts. Booking for DRI members hasn't changed.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's branded as Hilton now, but it's Hilton Vacation Club which is the new name for Diamond Resorts. Booking for DRI members hasn't changed.
Thanks you for that piece of information. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap:

Dave427

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at poipu 7 weeks owner
Just got our 2024 point at poipu maintenance fees, Hilton increased 400.00 per week. Largest increase ever!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How did the resort property manager know you have posted on the TUG website about some resort issues and lagging maintenance issues ?
Because they actively monitored TUG for comments.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Just got our 2024 point at poipu maintenance fees, Hilton increased 400.00 per week. Largest increase ever!
Part of the increase goes to the refurb that we already paid for from diamond maintenance fees!

Reactions: cd5

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Because they actively monitored TUG for comments.
I guess the question, out of 215 units how did they know to call your unit based on your post on TUG? Are some of us here not as anonymous here as one would think?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I guess the question, out of 215 units how did they know to call your unit based on your post on TUG? Are some of us here not as anonymous here as one would think?
They looked for the guy at the hot tub with the TUG T Shirt?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think I mentioned the unit we were in when I made a post about resort conditions.