• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Point at Poipu 2008 Maintenance Fees

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Better sit down before you read this one>Don't want you to get hurt by falling over in a dead faint.

2 bedroom 2 bath unit $1181.15/week owned. Up from $999/wk last year.

That is an 18.23% increase in one year!!!:eek:

If you want to book your 2008 week now you have to pay the 2008 maintenance fees now.

Diamond International is handling the payment of fees at 877-258-2786

Sorry for the bad news.

Sterling

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am worried about the PAHIO's this year. I have a feeling we are in for a huge increase too.:( :rolleyes:

Tiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our big jump up at lawai Beach hit last year. Of note I think the price on intervals at LBR has dropped 10% or so. For those of us that use the resort every year and don't exchange it's still a great value, but if one hasn't stayed at the resort for a few years it must be a lot of money just to trade to a mainland resort.

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
Better sit down before you read this one>Don't want you to get hurt by falling over in a dead faint.

2 bedroom 2 bath unit $1181.15/week owned. Up from $999/wk last year.

That is an 18.23% increase in one year!!!:eek:

If you want to book your 2008 week now you have to pay the 2008 maintenance fees now.

Diamond International is handling the payment of fees at 877-258-2786

Sorry for the bad news.

Sterling

Sterling,

Where did the info to pay DRI come from?

Al

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am worried about the PAHIO's this year. I have a feeling we are in for a huge increase too.:( :rolleyes:

Cindy - I already got my bill and mine went up 6.6%. That's at Pahio Kauai Beach Villas. Since my Maui week went up more than twice that much, I'm pleasantly surprised.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Now I feel better about sitting through the torturous owner update for the $150 credit on the maintenance fees!

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Point at Poipu MFs

The key here is the budget and where expenses have increased and where revenues may have decreased. We probably won't see the new budget until December, or when the 2008 MF is announced, and then we can do some analysis.

I suspect that a lot of the increase is in wages and taxes. Unemployment on Kauai is very low and to retain people P@P needs to offer competative salaries. It is difficult to compete with Hiltons, Marriotts, Hyatts, etc. :(

The Kauai County government has totally mismanaged the island's development and the taxpayers are essentially going to underwrite the developers who are destroying the island esthetically and financially. The developers have not paid their "fair share" (read "all") of the infrastructure required to support the development. Plus land prices are skyrocketing so property values are going up and therefore property taxes.:mad:

Kauai is headed into an upward cost spiral similar to when the Japanese business interests were buying the islands. The more money there is to spend the higher prices will rise for goods and services. This is of little concern to those with the bucks, but for the people trying to live on the economy it is a little grim. Eventually the costs will reach the point of pain and once again people will look for other places to vacation and then the recession spiral will begin and cost will begin to normalize.:wall:

At any rate, MFs are subject to the economy factors on the island. It is collateral damage associated with the multi-million dollar developments.

Kauai is open for new tourism, only the wealthy need apply.:annoyed:

Cheers,

Paul

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I suspect we are going to see whopping increases in property insurance and utilities as well as salaries.

Kaua'i for years has had extremely high electric rates. All of the electricity for the island is generated from diesel fuel (the generating station is at Port Allen), and rising oil prices translate directly into rising electric rates.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renata Kiemnec, Ohana VIP Services Agent, at the Point at Poipu said I needed to pay the 2008 maintenance fees to get my Oct 2008 confirmation. The number she gave me was for the "Sunterra Financial Department" at 877-258-2786. They answered the phone as Diamond International.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Point at Poipu MFs

Steve: that too! The situation overthere is less than ideal.

Sterling: That is interesting, usually we just paid the previous year's amount and then they billed us the difference. Diamond must be more interested in the float.

Interesting questions: Who approved the budget that is the basis for the 2008 MFs? When was it approved?:shrug:

Cheers,

Paul

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
Renata Kiemnec, Ohana VIP Services Agent, at the Point at Poipu said I needed to pay the 2008 maintenance fees to get my Oct 2008 confirmation. The number she gave me was for the "Sunterra Financial Department" at 877-258-2786. They answered the phone as Diamond International.

I just got off the phone with DRI and we don't need to pay the 2008 fees until we receive are 2008 maintence bill. they have been processed for mailing.

We reserved next year, Oct 4th while we were at the Point a few weeks ago. Last week we recevied our confirmation letter for our reservation. It had a red stamp at the top stating Tentative reservation Maintenance Fee Due $999.00 10/29/2007.

Al

tfalk

Reaction score
Plus land prices are skyrocketing so property values are going up and therefore property taxes.

The real problem with the county mismanagement is that as property values
have risen dramatically, there has been no change to the tax rate. Since the
rate didn't drop, the taxes have doubled or tripled in the last couple of years.
Where is all the extra money going? Good question for the old boy network...

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously, personnel at the Point don't know what they are talking about. I paid via master card today so hopefully mine won't say "tentative" When I was there Oct 6-19th they said the reservations would be ready before we left. They weren't. I suspected there would be problems with Diamond Resorts International taking over Sunterra. Wouldn't be normal if everything went smoothly.

Hope we can hook up next year at the Point. Our "non tentative" reservations are for Oct 10-24, 2008 but I don't have anything in writing yet.

Sterling

JanB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting about Diamond Resorts taking over Sunterra. My Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort maintenance fees just went up from $882 to $1078, nearly a 20% increase! I own EOY and pay half yearly so I've just doubled this years mfs and not extimated for the increase next year which could very well put the increase well over 20%.